Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-01-2010, 09:53 PM   #1
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Question if you have young kiddos too.

I have just turned 3 year old and a 15 month old. My 3 year old is easy enough usually, he likes to cut, paste, color, etc....something. My 15 month old is tougher and is at the into everything stage. Or if I am sitting on the couch working with him the nurse all the time phase, another vent lol.

I am trying to figure out that best time to do "school". Is breaking it up bad?? He is only starting K work, so not a lot obviously. I know a friend told me morning worked best for them. I was going to wait and use naptime. My 15 month old isn't the greatest sleeper and didn't nap until 3:30pm, so we did school then.

I guess we will just have to play around and see what works best for us. Just curious what worked well for others .

Advertisement

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:42 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Question if you have young kiddos too.

We do what works that day. When we started the kids were 4 and 2. Was never a problem because my son has always been able to entertain himself for 20-30 minutes at a time. When we added number 3 a couple years later, work was split up, done during naptime, and done with the youngest sitting with us. You find what works for your family and run with it.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:04 AM   #3
Kaboom
Registered Users
Formerly: ErinMartin
seller

My Mood:

I try to do school between 9-11 give or take an hour in either direction because that's what works well for my kiddos. If I can't work it in then (like on Wednesday's when they have church between 9-11), then I do it after nap time.

Usually the 2 year old is running crazy with toys, coloring, or watching tv. The baby is iether sleeping, sitting in a bouncer with a toy, or on me in a baby carrier.

Kaboom Pocket Pants Pattern!
Use code 'DSMAMA10' at checkout for 10% off!
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #4
frenchie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Your child is 3! I wouldn't "do" school until he's 5 or 6...especially with K curriculum. I would just engage both of your kids in play activities that they can do together. Mud, play-doh, coloring, finger painting, etc. Easy science experiments like making ice cubes with juice, alka seltzer rockets, yeast bread, etc. Take your kids outside on nature walks, and give them "shape necklaces" (a piece of yearn with paper shapes hanging from it) and let them find those shapes in nature. Simple, easy things they can do together. I think developmentally, you're expecting way too much out of your 3 year old, with K curriculum. Just my
Old 11-02-2010, 10:54 AM   #5
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
Your child is 3! I wouldn't "do" school until he's 5 or 6...especially with K curriculum. I would just engage both of your kids in play activities that they can do together. Mud, play-doh, coloring, finger painting, etc. Easy science experiments like making ice cubes with juice, alka seltzer rockets, yeast bread, etc. Take your kids outside on nature walks, and give them "shape necklaces" (a piece of yearn with paper shapes hanging from it) and let them find those shapes in nature. Simple, easy things they can do together. I think developmentally, you're expecting way too much out of your 3 year old, with K curriculum. Just my
No my oldest is 5 1/2, I was asking for advice on how to keep the younger two busy or how to schedule our day.

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #6
frenchie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2JJ View Post
No my oldest is 5 1/2, I was asking for advice on how to keep the younger two busy or how to schedule our day.
OMG...LOL!!! I didn't see the the oldest in your siggy!! OK...well, that's a tricky one. While your youngest is awake, find things that your oldest can do independently. Have your 3 yo work on cutting and pasting, and build blocks or play dolls or whatever with your littlest. It's a lot of juggling, but it's what I have to do between my 7 yo and my 3 yo. My youngest is very rambunctious, and won't sit for too long. She bugs her brother while he's trying to work, so I have to go back and forth between the both of them. Luckily, DS can work independently on quite a bit of his work. Field trips are always a great way to get school in, and have all kids engaged in the activity. The nature walk I mentioned earlier, can go for all ages, just give each an age appropriate activity that is related to the nature walk. When it's time for art, give them each an activity that is age appropriate. Save Math and Phonics for the nap time...but don't feel like you have to do school, all at the same time. Maybe leave the core subjects to be done on the weekend, when your DH can take the younger ones away to the park, while you and your DS get math and language arts out of the way.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
Kaboom
Registered Users
Formerly: ErinMartin
seller

My Mood:

Oh, and pack n' plays are a beautiful thing, LOL

Kaboom Pocket Pants Pattern!
Use code 'DSMAMA10' at checkout for 10% off!
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
ktmamma
Registered Users
seller

We do our bookwork during naptime. My little one naps wonderfully though so it's never been a problem. We include her in art time, craft time, reading time and most science experiments.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #9
Florida_Jen
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have kids similar ages to your. My oldest DS is 5.5, I have a 3 year old DD, an 18 month old DS and a newborn DS.

We try to do our table work while the 18 month old is napping. Sometimes that isn't possible so those are the days that I pull out the fun toys for the toddler and 3 year old to play with while we work. Things like a rice/bean bucket with little people hidden in it, playdough, a tub of water and some measuring cups, do a dot markers. There have even been somedays where we did our work on the bathroom floor while the 18 month old and 3 year old have played in the bathtub.
Florida_Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:33 AM   #10
geocaju
Registered Users

My Mood:

1plus1plus1equals1.blogspot.com is a great place. She homeschools her 8,4 and 1 year old and has great ideas for the littles ones! Homeschoolcreations.blogspot.com is also a great one. I only have those kinds of suggestions because I only have a three and a 5 month old so most of our homeschooling is play anyways. That and the little one isn't crawling yet so is pretty easy to manage now. I hope that helps!

Geo - wife to F & mom to Juju 4 and Cami 1.5 and with #3
pet mommy to a dog, a bird and a fish
Loving every minute of being a SAHM

geocaju is offline   Reply With Quote