Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
AJ_Parks
Registered Users

My Mood:
Forgoing the infant carrier

Well we thought we were done and got rid of our infant carrier. I hated it anyway and we only used it for about 2-3 months. My kids get huge fast and we travel long distances early on in their lives to visit family. They were never comfortable in the carrier. So I guess my question is has anyone brought home their newborn in a convertible car seat and forgone then infant carrier all together? We have a Radian or a Britax boulevard that the baby could go into. I love to baby wear so the convenience of the carrier doesn't matter for me. I will need my hands free anyways to keep track of the other two.

Advertisement

#3 due in June
AJ_Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Re: Forgoing the infant carrier

I haven't but people do it all the time. Newborns tend to fit in the Radian well. If it's the old style Britax a newbie won't fit correctly. The bottom straps slots are just too tall. The new style Britax work much better for newbies.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
AJ_Parks
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm sure it is the older style of Britax. It is 4 years old. But my Radians are only 5 months old.
#3 due in June
AJ_Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

The Radian w/ infant insert (comes w/ the 80 and XT, can be purchased sep for the 65) will fit an average sized nb. An old-style Blvd will not.

I hate infant carriers. Even when I had one (b/c I didn't know that a nb wouldn't fit a blvd, so I had to borrow a friend's infant carrier until DD fit in the blvd we bought), I never took it out of the car. I always baby-wear or carry my baby. I have no need for a bucket.

Put the nb in the Radian and you're set (unless you have a preemie). GL mama!
Old 11-02-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
elizabeth024
Registered Users
seller

we have the smaller convertible Britax and didn't have the infant car seat. It worked out ok for us, next time I want a better infant baby carrier though. We had a rough time starting out BW, this was my first. I vow next time will be better.
elizabeth024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
dandasmommy
Registered Users
seller

People do it more often these days. There's a few schools of thought, if you will on that subject. One is that the child will outgrow the infant carrier and need a convertible anyway so might as well just skip it (since those infant carriers do get quite heavy once the baby is actually in it) to save money. Another is that there is the convenience factor of not having to carry the baby around all the time or possibly waking them up with transferring in/out of vehicle. A friend of mine had twins about 5 weeks ago and they were an average baby size when born (close to 7 lbs each) and they went home in Evenflo convertible seats.
dandasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:03 PM   #7
Zappa
Registered Users
seller

I put my DS right into a convertible when he was born this summer. He came home from the hospital in an EFTA. I can honestly say that I never missed the carrier/bucket type seat at all even though I had used one with my DD. He went into a ring sling whenever we did errands and it worked out fine. The only time I can see an advantage to the carrier is that in extremely cold climates you can get the baby in the carrier and covered with a blanket before you go outside.

Here he is at 2 days old and just over 7lbs:

Last edited by Zappa; 11-03-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:02 PM   #8
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am of the opposite school of thought. I couldn't live without mine. Being able to take it into DD's preschool and not wake the baby, and have the snap and go was a lifesaver for me. Each person is different, but in the time it takes me to mess around with getting baby in the sling and out of a convertible, I could have been inside when it is 10 degrees outside with my bucket.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:29 PM   #9
epiclesis
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappa View Post
I put my DS right into a convertible when he was born this summer. He came home from the hospital in an EFTA. I can honestly say that I never missed the carrier/bucket type seat at all even though I had used one with my DD. He went into a ring sling whenever we did errands and it worked out fine. The only time I can see an advantage to the carrier is that in extremely cold climates you can get the baby in the carrier and covered with a blanket before you go outside.

Here he is at 2 days old and just over 7lbs:
He actually looks like the straps were -above- his shoulders though.
epiclesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #10
EskimoStitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We ordered a travel system for our 3rd kid, had it sent to my parents house in Alaska. Our 3rd kid was incredibly impatient and came out in SC before I could get to Alaska to deliver. We had to bring him home in the convertible we bought for him. He fit it just fine, but, when we did things like had our hands full of other kids, went out to eat or similar, we really missed the carrier. We had the stuff sent back to us by my parents and he rode in it until about 6 months. It was much nicer to have, especially when we traveled by plane. DH and I both took separate trips with that kid and that's the biggest reason we get travel systems. Before we moved from SC, we sold the whole travel system and bought a new carrier for #4 when we got up here.

Another thing we LOVE a carrier for is, like PP said, when it's freezin ask cold outside. Throw some blankets over the baby and click click and you shut their door. If you have a convertible, you are messing with taking whatever wraps are on the kid off, putting them in the seat, strapping them in, and it could be -40 F outside with blowing snow, that's not fun for anybody. When they are a little easier to maneuver (about 6 months) you can just kind of put them in the car seat then get in yourself and lean over and do the strapping.

It really depends on the area you'll be living in. My biggest issues were with #2 and #4 and being winter babies. You're baby will be born in the summer, so, you could totally get away with no carrier, if you are organized.