Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-02-2010, 05:29 PM   #1
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I got into little disagreement today

with a lady at Lily's gymnastics class over current car seat laws. She insisted she was right that a child could be in a booster at less than 4 and less than 40lbs. I informed her (nicely) that our current state law is 4 and 40lbs for a booster. She scoffed at me and said "are you sure it is law and not just AAP recommendations b/c my dh is a Dr." I said, well let me check and sure enough I was correct. She kind of rolled her eyes when I let her know. LOL.

She then said "well what does it matter she is only a few lbs away."

Advertisement

Old 11-02-2010, 05:43 PM   #2
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: I got into little disagreement today

http://www.odh.ohio.gov/odhprograms/...ldbooster.aspx

Ohio law is 4 and 40 pounds. Which probably leads to many many kids riding FF in carseats that they have outgrown by height.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:09 PM   #3
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
http://www.odh.ohio.gov/odhprograms/...ldbooster.aspx

Ohio law is 4 and 40 pounds. Which probably leads to many many kids riding FF in carseats that they have outgrown by height.
Yep, that's the link I got the info from as well. Well, maybe not. My dd's are all 95% for height and my 4 1/2 year old hasn't outgrown her Marathon yet. It looks like she will make it to 5 and so did DD1. Unless most other seats have a lower height limit.

Oh, and then when we were leaving, one of the ladies she was talking to got into her car next to me with her newly 3 year old in a backless booster and her 6 year old (maybe, I really think she was 5 from the conversation) in the FRONT SEAT with just a seat belt.

Crazy, just crazy. I know I'm a little crazy with car seats and such, but come on, that is just nuts.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, but a Marathon goes to 65 pounds. I'm thinking of the kiddos in Comfort Sports and Scenaras that only go to 40 pounds and have short shells.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #5
dandasmommy
Registered Users
seller

Newly 3 year old in a backless booster?!? Wow... DS is 5.5 and still harnessed (Evenflo Maestro and Graco Nautilus). DD is 2.5 and still rearfacing (Evenflo Triumph and Graco MyRide65). She is tiny though, at 20 lbs.

Good to see it is a law! In CA it's just a recommendation. A friend put her 2 year old in a high back booster (she is on the bigger side compared to my DD) and didn't think there was anything wrong with that because she met the weight/height requirements OF THAT SEAT and because all she could find was 4 and 40 lbs as a recommendation not a law. She has since changed her DD back into a harnessed carseat because she was unbuckling the seatbelt which was making my friend nervous. I tried looking for a law to reference for her and couldn't find one.
dandasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandasmommy View Post
Newly 3 year old in a backless booster?!? Wow... DS is 5.5 and still harnessed (Evenflo Maestro and Graco Nautilus). DD is 2.5 and still rearfacing (Evenflo Triumph and Graco MyRide65). She is tiny though, at 20 lbs.

Good to see it is a law! In CA it's just a recommendation. A friend put her 2 year old in a high back booster (she is on the bigger side compared to my DD) and didn't think there was anything wrong with that because she met the weight/height requirements OF THAT SEAT and because all she could find was 4 and 40 lbs as a recommendation not a law. She has since changed her DD back into a harnessed carseat because she was unbuckling the seatbelt which was making my friend nervous. I tried looking for a law to reference for her and couldn't find one.
There is no way that she met the requirements of that seat because there are no booster seats that say a child under 3 can use them.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #7
an_aurora
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica-m View Post
There is no way that she met the requirements of that seat because there are no booster seats that say a child under 3 can use them.
Dorel seats have a 1 year age minimum for their boosters (including their backless boosters).
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #8
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
Dorel seats have a 1 year age minimum for their boosters (including their backless boosters).
Ugh, really? There is another reason for me to dislike Dorel.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #9
an_aurora
Registered Users

I agree
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #10
hrice
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes but Dorel also has a 34 inch height MIMIMUM to FF in their seats. So that means most kids would be at least 1.5-2 before they could FF in one of their convertibles!
hrice is offline   Reply With Quote