Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-03-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
greek4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Graco Cargo

I am checking these carseat due to the highest slot position, narrow seat, and ability to hold up to 100lbs as a booster. My only issue is that it states on the Graco sight that it harnesses from 20-40lbs. Dumb question alert...Does this mean that once the child is 40lbs that the harness is not safe?

Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
VioletsMommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Graco Cargo

Yes. You can no longer use the harness after 40 lbs.

Just a little crunchy....

I am a CPST
VioletsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:51 AM   #3
an_aurora
Registered Users

Yes, the harness only goes to 40 pounds in that seat. FWIW, it does not make a good booster and will be outgrown WELL before 100 pounds, since there are only 3 adjustments you can make for the high back booster function.

Is this for your 3yo or 1yo?
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

It means that the harness is not rated to be used above 40 lbs. I personally would not put a 40 lb child in a harness that was only rated to 40 lbs because weight can vary from day to day and with different clothing. It isn't worth the risk. The harness could have failed in testing at 41 lbs, we have no way of knowing. Weight is not a good determining factor when deciding if a child is ready for a booster. They have to be able to sit correctly 100% of the time even when sleeping and most kids are not ready for this until 5 or 6 years old. Does your child have an exceptionally long torso?
Old 11-03-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
babyGmommy
Registered Users
seller

i have one of these car seats ... i like it but i bought it before i know alot about car seats... if your looking for a great narrow car seat that had a nice slot strap height, i would go with a sunshine kids radian seat. i know theres a double price difference but it will last much longer.
-- also i wouldn't use the Graco cargo seat as a booster it doesn't fit the kids very well.

any questions about the differences i wouldn't mind helping you just PM me.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
greek4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My boys are in an Evenflo Chase (3yo 30lbs) and Evenflo Triumph Advance (1 yo 23lbs) The seat is for the 4yo (on Sunday) boy that I babysit for. I have him in a Cosco High back booster that I just saw only goes up to 40lbs harnessed. He is close to 45lbs. So, I need a new seat or to just use the seatbelt like his parents have been doing for over a year.

I have three across in the back, two Cosco High back boosters and a Cosco Touriva. This arrangement fits but just barely. (The second Cosco is for when the 6yo I babysit for is using the Evenflo Chase as a booster so DS1 rides in back or when I babysit my neighbors 35lb, 4yo).

What is a good narrow, high harness weight carseat/booster?
Old 11-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #7
an_aurora
Registered Users

The Evenflo Maestro is $80 and harnesses to 50 lbs, and has very high top slots. The next cheapest would be the Evenflo Generations65 which harnesses to 65 pounds, but the top slots aren't as high as on the Maestro.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #8
greek4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think I have it figured out for now. In the rear row, I have a Cosco High back booster, a Cosco Touriva, and an Evenflo Triumph Advance (DS1's old seat that I RFed for his brother). In the captain's chairs, I have an Evenflo Chase and an Evenflo Titan from DH's car that is RF for DS2. Now the little boy I watch has two options of seats so him and DS1 can duke it out on who sits where.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:56 PM   #9
an_aurora
Registered Users

But he can't ride in any of those seats since he is 45 pounds
Old 11-04-2010, 10:16 AM   #10
greek4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The Evenflo Truimph goes up to 50lbs, I just looked up the Chase and you are right it goes up to 40lbs. Dang it, I thought I had it figured out.