Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
Madame Medina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How would you handle this?

The background: We went to visit my BIL and his wife out in CA this past week. They were surprised that we "bothered" with bringing two car seats. My soon to be 7 yo DS 44lbs is in a Graco Nautilus which we had checked with our other bags and my 24 month old DS2 26lbs is still RFing in an Evenflo Triumph which strolled through the airport so he could use it on the flight.

While visiting them DH went outside with DS2 to see his brothers new car an Audi something or other. When I went outside to tell them dinner was ready I found DS2 sitting in their DD's FFing car seat. When I went to get DS2 out I realized that they only had the car seat in with the seat belt. No problem, however it was so loose that the car seat was able to slide completely over to the middle seat while still being buckled in with the cars seat belt. I mentioned to BIL that his seat was not installed correctly. DH even agreed and said you better let my wife fix that for you. (DH thinks I'm a car seat Nazi so I was so proud when he backed me up on this.) Well BIL let me install the seat correctly using the Latch, which was still in the plastic bag tucked behind the car seat. I showed BIL how the seat no longer moved back and forth. He said thanks. Then I said but you might want to look into turning your DD back to RFing as she is only 18lbs and 15months old. I rattled off a few supporting statements about how it's safer and such. All he said was you need to talk to my wife about that. Now his wife and I have never clicked. DH says I should just drop it and be happy knowing that the current seat is installed correctly. But I want to send SIL and BIL an email with links to information about ERF.

I know this is long but if you have followed me this far, what would you do? And if you would send an email, what links would you send?

Advertisement

Last edited by Madame Medina; 11-03-2010 at 01:09 PM. Reason: mispelling
Madame Medina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
mrdhollins
Registered Users
Formerly: snowbabymama
seller

My Mood:
Re: How would you handle this?

That's a hard situation. I might be tempted to drop it. If I had found an opening while out there to talk about it, I would have done that. But, at this point, sending an e-mail seems to be so passive-aggressive and would probably tick your SIL off even more.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
GreenHome Sewing
Registered Users
Formerly: Jonah Baby
seller
seller

My Mood:

I kind of have to agree with the above poster. Getting them to properly use any seat is the first hurdle, extended RF is often too much of a leap in these scenarios.
If it comes up some time, from their side, then I would cautiously dive in.
Although, if she's really only 18 pounds, it is illegal to use any seat FF (proper use clause, going against manufacturers stated minimum.)

In there defense, I would have been shocked if my guests brought a Nauti for a 7 year old (all the way on a plane trip, etc.) A high back or no back booster, even a travel vest for sure, but not a large harnessed seat. It is possible they could have been "put off" by your "extreme" (I'm not saying you're an extremist to use a Nauti for a 7 year old but I can pretty much guarantee they think so based on your post.)
Old 11-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
an_aurora
Registered Users

They NEED to turn their kid around RF since it's not legal for her to be FF'ing at 18 pounds.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #5
mrdhollins
Registered Users
Formerly: snowbabymama
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
They NEED to turn their kid around RF since it's not legal for her to be FF'ing at 18 pounds.
I TOTALLY missed her weight in the OP! I was just thinking about the relationship difficulty.

As what they are doing is illegal, I would e-mail her and share that tid-bit with them. I would approach it like: I was thinking about the whole car seat situation and it occurred to me that "Mary" is FF at only 18 lbs. Did you know that the law states she must be RF until she is 20 lbs (though the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends even longer than that). I'd hate to see you get a ticket for something that's so easy to fix and is sooooo much safer for "Mary" anyway! We had such a nice time visiting and we all look forward to seeing you again soon!

Good luck!
Old 11-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Just wanted to mention for the benefit of any lurkers who might be reading - the OP "fixed" the installation by using LATCH instead of the seatbelt. However a LATCH installation is not any safer than a seatbelt installation provided that both installations are tight. You should choose either LATCH or seatbelt based on which works with your seat, in your car. Read your car's manual to see which positions allow LATCH - to install in a position that does not allow LATCH, you NEED to use the seatbelt.

YOU CANNOT USE BOTH THE (lower) LATCH STRAP AND THE SEATBELT.

Forward facing seats should always use the top tether regardless of whether you are using the LATCH strap or the seatbelt to install the seat.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
CrazyBoysMamma
Registered Users

My Mood:

Um, it's not even ERF for her, CA law is RF til 1 AND 20 lbs minimum. FF at 18 lbs no matter the age is illegal.

Will you be my Swag friend? Pretty please?http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/CrazyBoysMamma
CrazyBoysMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #8
Madame Medina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
Just wanted to mention for the benefit of any lurkers who might be reading - the OP "fixed" the installation by using LATCH instead of the seatbelt. However a LATCH installation is not any safer than a seatbelt installation provided that both installations are tight. You should choose either LATCH or seatbelt based on which works with your seat, in your car. Read your car's manual to see which positions allow LATCH - to install in a position that does not allow LATCH, you NEED to use the seatbelt.

YOU CANNOT USE BOTH THE (lower) LATCH STRAP AND THE SEATBELT.

Forward facing seats should always use the top tether regardless of whether you are using the LATCH strap or the seatbelt to install the seat.
Good point. The only reason I used the LATCH to fix the installation was because the seat belt would not lock and they had no locking clip. So I was unable to get the seat tight with just the seat belt. The only other way I knew to get the seat tight was to use the LATCH.

Just for my own knowledge is the top tether not considered part of the LATCH? I just assumed the top tether was part of the LATCH since the hooks all look the same.
Madame Medina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #9
an_aurora
Registered Users

It would most certainly lock--cars made since 1996 are required to have locking belts, and LATCH has only been around since 2002.

The top tether should be used for any FF install, whether with seatbelt or LATCH.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #10
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

LATCH stands for lower anchors and tethers for children. Tether anchors are part of the system.