Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-03-2010, 07:49 PM   #11
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Re: How would you handle this?

I would "sandwich" your ideas between an email to them. Thank them for the visit, chit chat, add in some simple info about the car seat (maybe a link to CA car seat laws) and then end with how much fun you have and other happy stuff. Sometimes it's more about the way you do it, more than what you are doing. Usually people accept it better if you start out with the state laws instead of fast forwarding to shocking car seat/accident videos. I'm not saying that the other way doesn't work but in this case, you have to tread lightly since SIL is not your best friend.

Advertisement

doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:13 PM   #12
momtomy3
Registered Users
Formerly: karismom
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
It would most certainly lock--cars made since 1996 are required to have locking belts, and LATCH has only been around since 2002.
Unless something was wrong with the seatbelt. My 2003 Jeep Liberty seatbelt would not lock at all - it was broken (and we didn't use it because of that!).
Old 11-03-2010, 08:20 PM   #13
Madame Medina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
It would most certainly lock--cars made since 1996 are required to have locking belts, and LATCH has only been around since 2002.

The top tether should be used for any FF install, whether with seatbelt or LATCH.
Not sure what was up with their seat belts, could have been something I was doing wrong, but I could not get that darn thing to lock DH even looked in the cars manual for help.

I did not know it has been since 1996 that vehicles were required to have locking belts. Learn something new every day.
Madame Medina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:59 PM   #14
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
I would "sandwich" your ideas between an email to them. Thank them for the visit, chit chat, add in some simple info about the car seat (maybe a link to CA car seat laws) and then end with how much fun you have and other happy stuff. Sometimes it's more about the way you do it, more than what you are doing. Usually people accept it better if you start out with the state laws instead of fast forwarding to shocking car seat/accident videos. I'm not saying that the other way doesn't work but in this case, you have to tread lightly since SIL is not your best friend.
ditto this, mention how you dont want them to get a ticket (often people care more about this than safety)
Old 11-03-2010, 10:14 PM   #15
an_aurora
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by karismom View Post
Unless something was wrong with the seatbelt. My 2003 Jeep Liberty seatbelt would not lock at all - it was broken (and we didn't use it because of that!).
Jeeps have locking latchplates
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #16
maxeygirls
Registered Users

Quote:
They NEED to turn their kid around RF since it's not legal for her to be FF'ing at 18 pounds.
Exactly! I'm not even sure this qualifies as ERFing considering she's only 18lbs!
Old 11-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #17
Madame Medina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I called this morning instead as I thought it would go over better. We talked about our visit and then SIL brought up the car seats. She simply asked how I was able to get the seat so tight in BIL's car because after we left she realized that she should check how tight the install was on the car seat she has in her vehicle. Made my heart sing when she said this. So I explained how I did it than just casually mentioned that the law in CA was RFing until 1 year AND 20 lbs. She had no idea. She thought the law was 1 year OR 20lbs which ever happened first. She's a legal assistant so that really got her upset that she had not understood the law correctly.

I also brought up my own car seat mistake. I told her about the time I put DS1 in a huge snow suit before I knew that it was a car seat no no. You was surprised that I would even admit that. Apparently she always felt that I make her look like a bad mother because I never seem to make mistakes. Which is not true at all. She said it makes her feel bad that I'm still nursing my 2yo when she struggled to make it to 6 months, she went on and on comparing our parenting styles and how it makes her feel like a failure. I felt so bad. I had no idea she felt like that.

We talked for over 2 hours and I really think that this might actually bring us closer. By the end of the conversation she agreed that DD should go RFing for as long as possible and was asking me what seat to get for her 15month old DD and what seat to get for her new DD that is due in Jan 15th. I told her I would have to ask all you great mamas on DS as it's been two years since I bought a new car seat and I know things have changed since then.

So since you all have been so helpful so far. What seat would you recommend for them? Her only request was that they be girl colors.
Madame Medina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #18
Zappa
Registered Users
seller

That is great news! It is so nice to hear about a situation like this that ended well. So many times our well meaning advice falls on deaf ears. Good for you for calling.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #19
mrdhollins
Registered Users
Formerly: snowbabymama
seller

My Mood:

Great job, Mama! Isn't it funny how often people are more resistant based on their own insecurities?! Good job communicating!

So, who/what do they need the seats for? Break it down for me again.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:52 AM   #20
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh wow, I love happy endings! Yeah, sometimes we all need to remember that no one is perfect, even if someone looks like they have it all

As for seats, there's the Onboard 35 for the infant (and this will hold her well over 1 year, and may technically fit the 15mo )
http://www.albeebaby.com/safety-1st-...-22395aoq.html

15mo:
Of course Radians have some great prints (also, hey, 20% off at albeebaby!):
http://www.albeebaby.com/sunshine-ki...-in-flora.html
http://www.albeebaby.com/sunshine-ki...-in-petal.html

Complete Air
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

My Ride 65
http://www.albeebaby.com/graco-my-ri...ina-bloom.html

Are all good choices

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd

Last edited by linzbear; 11-04-2010 at 11:53 AM.
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote