Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-03-2010, 11:08 PM   #1
chello
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
what should I do??

We just bought a Kia Sedona because we need room for a third seat. DH isn't fully on board with all the ERF/buying a brand new seat for "everything" stuff. We've argued it and debated and gone around and around. Anyway. I will be driving the van 90% of the time, and everything is great. The layout of the seats is that DD is in the back row, FF but she's 3 and a half and 30 lbs, and we bought her a new seat seriously two days before I started finding out about ERF. Anyway. DS is in the second row RF, he's 18 months and 25 lbs. The infant seat is behind the driver seat. When I'm driving, that's no problem at all. I'm 5'3. DH is 6'4. When he's driving, the infant seat behind him doesn't leave enough room for the driver seat to be moved back enough for him. DH wants to switch DS to behind the driver, and the infant seat behind the passenger. But I'm pretty sure DS's seat won't leave enough room either while being RF. DH wants to turn DS around.

DS's car seat is about to expire (we were given it before we knew much about car seats) so what seat can I get that will be short enough front to back so DH can fit better? And if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg that would be good too! And one more thing, I'm in Canada, prices are different here!

Any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks!!

Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 11:33 PM   #2
carsonsmommy1108
Registered Users
seller

Re: what should I do??

we have a true fit and my behind the driver's seat in my tiny little honda civic and the drivers seat can go all the way back, it has great front to back space, I know there are others that are smaller front to back too, but we LOVE our TF and it takes up hardly any space.
carsonsmommy1108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:35 AM   #3
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

You could also think about putting the infant seat in the third row and clicking it in through the trunk.

Most convertibles take up the same or less front-back space as most infant seats, especially when you're using them for older children and can have the seat more upright. What seat is your ds in now?
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:36 AM   #4
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Sorry, double post.

Last edited by jjordan; 11-04-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:50 AM   #5
hrice
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For an 18 month old you can install the seat more upright. As pp said it shouldn't take up any more room RF than an infant bucket.

I absolutely would not FF an 18 mo old. I would never consider FF any child under the age of 3.

Has your DH seen any of the videos of FF v RF? You said you have gone round and round but has he bothered to do his own research? There is just no way that anyone can argue the safety aspects of RF over FF. The facts are there.

Maybe send him to joelsjourney.org
hrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:07 AM   #6
MiaAnjuli
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsonsmommy1108 View Post
we have a true fit and my behind the driver's seat in my tiny little honda civic and the drivers seat can go all the way back, it has great front to back space, I know there are others that are smaller front to back too, but we LOVE our TF and it takes up hardly any space.
We have a True Fit in our Dodge Journey and it takes up a ton of room. It's on the right passenger side because I am short and can deal with no leg room when I need to.
MiaAnjuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:36 AM   #7
chello
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Putting the infant seat in the third row isn't really an option because there is only one tether back there, and it would be VERY frustrating trying to get the seat in and out back there.

I've shown DH stats and websites etc. etc., they all really focus on front impact collisions it seems, and he agrees that in that case, RF is safer. However he is a very defensive driver and truly believes that if he is ever in an accident, it will be someone else rear-ending him, and all the websites and stuff I've found say that RF and FF are about the same in a rear end collision. All the videos I can find and stuff are showing front impact collisions. He also thinks older RF children with their feet scrunched up can have hip/spinal injuries from their legs being thrown up around their ears or something ridiculous. He isn't actively against ERF per se, if all else is equal then he's okay with it. But if he sees a situation where the seat fits better FF and the child is old enough, he thinks FF is better. The fact that he is a big man and is really squished trying to get into the driver's seat with not enough room doesn't help anything.

I don't know what seat DS is in right now, it was given to us for DD when she outgrew the infant seat (this was before I'd learned anything and thought it was fine ). It expires in January. I do know it was never in an accident. I really don't want to turn DS, but I need to have something that will work.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:12 PM   #8
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Convertibles that take up relatively little front-back space (although it can also depend on the vehicle and how it installs) are: graco myride, safety 1st complete air, new Britax convertibles (in US their names are roundabout55, marathon70, boulevard 70 but I think those are different in Canada), evenflo triumph 65, and first years truefit.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:18 PM   #9
chello
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well I went out and switched DS's seat to behind the driver. I made sure the driver seat was as far back as it goes, and got DS's seat more upright. I'm not really a fan of that, but it works. Hopefully that will keep him happy, and I'll get a new seat in a month or so. Thanks everybody!
Old 11-04-2010, 12:30 PM   #10
an_aurora
Registered Users

Show him the stats of crashes (frontal crashes are 72% of crashes, while rear end crashes equal only 4% of crashes-- the rest are frontal offset, side impacts and rollovers). I. Addition the vast majority of rear end crashes are very low speed, and account for the least amount of injuries. If you have ever been rear ended you know you get whiplash--the child would get the same injury and their head to neck size ratio is very dramatic, coupled with the fact that their spines are not fully ossified, means whiplash for them can mean a devastating injury.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote