Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-04-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
wolffie
Registered Users
seller

WWYD with 900 ounces in the deep freezer?

Hi Ladies!

After my dd was born I got onto a great pumping routine in order to build up my freezer stash for when I went back to work. Well, 5 months later I have 900 ounces in the deep freezer and have decided to take this year off from work. My dd won't take a bottle so I can't use it up that way. I will use some of it in a sippy when she starts learning to use one. But 900 ounces is A LOT! Can I use it to cook with? Can I sub breastmilk for cow's milk in muffin and waffle recipes for my 2.5 year old? Can I defrost it and give it to my ds? (He won't drink it if he know's what it is. I've asked him before if he want's some mama's milk and he always very firmly tells me "no, that's sister's milk"). He will drink it though if he doesn't know it's mama's milk in his cup and not cow's milk. Is it okay to use defrosted milk when making baby food puree?

I have thought about donating and have been watching the milk share board for my area but honestly, I haven't found anyone I want to donate to yet. I'm sorry but I am kinda attached to my milk and really want to give it to give it to a baby in need and not someone looking for bm to treat their child's excema.

ETA: I just want to mention that the recipient who was looking for breastmilk to treat their child's excema was wanting donor milk for their child to bathe in. I would have no problem if the donation was for consumption. Donating it so that it could be bathed in would be hard for me.
Should I just hang on to it and give it to my dd as she gets older? It's in my deep freezer so I know it should keep for a year.

WWYD with 900 ounces of frozen bm?

Advertisement

Mama to ds '08, dd '10, due w/#3 5/13! wife to Missing my angels 6/07, 10/07, 3/12
Let's swag! SWAG friends!

Last edited by wolffie; 11-04-2010 at 02:41 PM.
wolffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Re: WWYD with 900 ounces in the deep freezer?

I can't offer a whole lot of advice, but when I had milk w/ds3 that he wouldn't drink I donated it to a milk bank. It goes to hospitalized babies.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Personally, I would find someone to donate it to. I donate to an adopted baby. I feel like any baby not getting BM could benefit. I'd be nice to find a baby who's health really requires it, but it benefits any baby who's parents want them to have it. Just my There is a milk share yahoo group that just started up on DS.

Otherwise, I've read you can sub it for milk in some things, like mac and cheese. You can have your toddler drink it. Mix it with purees when your baby starts solids. I'm pretty sure you can make soap out of it. There are things you can do with it. But, 900oz is a lot to use up. Good luck.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
wolffie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
Personally, I would find someone to donate it to. I donate to an adopted baby. I feel like any baby not getting BM could benefit. I'd be nice to find a baby who's health really requires it, but it benefits any baby who's parents want them to have it. Just my There is a milk share yahoo group that just started up on DS.

Otherwise, I've read you can sub it for milk in some things, like mac and cheese. You can have your toddler drink it. Mix it with purees when your baby starts solids. I'm pretty sure you can make soap out of it. There are things you can do with it. But, 900oz is a lot to use up. Good luck.
How can I find info on the milk share yahoo group? I really would love to donate it but I want to find a good recipient fit for us. If that makes any sense.
Mama to ds '08, dd '10, due w/#3 5/13! wife to Missing my angels 6/07, 10/07, 3/12
Old 11-04-2010, 01:07 PM   #5
hellokitty
Registered Users
seller

I would also try to donate it. A lot of the ways you are listing to consume it (heating) will end up killing off a lot of the essential nutrients, kind of ruining the specialty of it being BM.

My DS won't take a bottle either. Now that he is 10 months, my milk is considered 'old' and people with young babies don't really want it. I was really happy to donate milk to a baby with eczema because it was painful and irritating for him. I also previously donated to an 8-mo who's mama got PG and lost her supply. In both cases, my baby couldn't benefit from the frozen milk and hers could.

Have you checked the other local milkshare boards? Maybe someone who's story you feel clicks would be willing to drive. Would you be willing to mail it?

Last edited by hellokitty; 11-04-2010 at 01:15 PM.
hellokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
ommelissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Make instant pudding for your toddler!
ommelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:10 PM   #7
elscho
Registered Users
seller

All of your ideas sound good...maybe use some and donate the rest?
elscho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:17 PM   #8
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

I used frozen milk when I made purees, but not that much! I'd probably find someone to donate it to. I have about 40 oz in my freezer that I don't know what to do with. 900! Wow!
Old 11-04-2010, 01:19 PM   #9
wolffie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
I would also try to donate it. A lot of the ways you are listing to consume it (heating) will end up killing off a lot of the essential nutrients, kind of ruining the specialty of it being BM.

My DS won't take a bottle either. Now that he is 10 months, my milk is considered 'old' and people with young babies don't really want it. I was really happy to donate milk to a baby with eczema because it was painful and irritating for him. I also previously donated to an 8-mo who's mama got PG and lost her supply. In both cases, my baby couldn't benefit from the frozen milk and hers could.

Have you checked the other local milkshare boards? Maybe someone who's story you feel clicks would be willing to drive. Would you be willing to mail it?
I am definitely willing to mail it. I've been reading through some more posts on milk share this afternoon. There are some that are starting to jump out at me. I honestly didn't realize how much I had until I added it all up last night. I'd love to find someone that I can give my current stash to as well as to donate to long term.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:19 PM   #10
wolffie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ommelissa View Post
Make instant pudding for your toddler!
Great idea! Thanks!