Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-04-2010, 01:29 PM   #11
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

Re: WWYD with 900 ounces in the deep freezer?

From someone who wasn't able to produce breastmilk for my own DD, I say donate it! Even if it just goes to a baby with excema... it's a tremendous gift to that baby and it would mean soooooooo much to another mama to have the peace of mind of knowing that she's able to give her baby some breastmilk.

Advertisement

Old 11-04-2010, 02:13 PM   #12
wolffie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmom77 View Post
From someone who wasn't able to produce breastmilk for my own DD, I say donate it! Even if it just goes to a baby with excema... it's a tremendous gift to that baby and it would mean soooooooo much to another mama to have the peace of mind of knowing that she's able to give her baby some breastmilk.
Thanks!

I just want to add that the only reason I didn't want to give it to the baby with excema was b/c it was for the baby to bathe in. If it was to drink I would have no issue at all. I honestly just have a hard time donating it for a bath.
Mama to ds '08, dd '10, due w/#3 5/13! wife to Missing my angels 6/07, 10/07, 3/12
Let's swag! SWAG friends!
wolffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:48 PM   #13
Bekki
Registered Users
seller
seller

Here's the DS milksharing group if you're interested! We JUST started, so we're small, but I know there are some mamas on here who need milk.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/dsmilksharing/
Old 11-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #14
wolffie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekki View Post
Here's the DS milksharing group if you're interested! We JUST started, so we're small, but I know there are some mamas on here who need milk.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/dsmilksharing/
THANKS!!!!
Mama to ds '08, dd '10, due w/#3 5/13! wife to Missing my angels 6/07, 10/07, 3/12
Old 11-04-2010, 04:53 PM   #15
AJ'sMama
Registered Users
seller

I hope you find someone and they really appreciate it.

I have a really hard time pumping so I am in awe that you have that much, wow!
Old 11-04-2010, 07:16 PM   #16
chimpwars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had about 700oz at one time. I kept it in the deep freezer but because dd was special needs I did not donate. We use it for dinner in a cup on the days I work for extra nutrition, or for when she is at the hosptial and I need a break to be with my other dtr, and when my older dd is sick I mix it with out her knowing in regular milk and WOW is she better the next day!! I've done it twice as she will NOT drink mama's milk (she's 5, but when she;s sick she gets it-I'm sneaky) Good job at 900oz. If you think you will not use it I would donate.

If I owe you feedback please gently remind me! sorry
chimpwars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:30 PM   #17
mama2kenneys
Registered Users
Formerly: jrtownie***
seller

My Mood:

I agree with pp to mix it with cow's milk. I used to do that for my 4 year old ds when i was nursing my dd. I used to make smoothies, oatmeal and other goodies for ds too and I would give it to my dd in a cup. She loved that! It seems like you have plenty to donate and still keep a stash for yourself....so donate away. Nice work, mama!
Old 11-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #18
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I understand wanting to find the right fit and feeling attached to your milk. I can also understand not wanting to give it to someone to take a bath in. I'm glad Bekki chimed in with the link to the yahoo group. I didn't get back on.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:59 PM   #19
wolffie
Registered Users
seller

I just wanted to share that I'm so excited that I found a little girl/family that I feel will be a good donor recipient fit for us. She has a rare genetic fatty acid metabolism disorder (Spinal Muscular Atrophy Type 1) and she needs breastmilk to survive. From what I have read 50% of children with this diagnosis don't live past 2 years. Thanks to donor milk this little girl is now 7! I am thrilled to donate to them and they are traveling this weekend to pick up my donation.

I am interested in regularly donating to this little girl. I don't know donation etiquette though. For those of you who make regular donations, do you ask the recipients family to provide the milk storage bags? I'm not sure how to ask them for that but I would like to keep donating to her. Any suggestions?
Old 11-05-2010, 07:34 AM   #20
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffie View Post
I just wanted to share that I'm so excited that I found a little girl/family that I feel will be a good donor recipient fit for us. She has a rare genetic fatty acid metabolism disorder (Spinal Muscular Atrophy Type 1) and she needs breastmilk to survive. From what I have read 50% of children with this diagnosis don't live past 2 years. Thanks to donor milk this little girl is now 7! I am thrilled to donate to them and they are traveling this weekend to pick up my donation.

I am interested in regularly donating to this little girl. I don't know donation etiquette though. For those of you who make regular donations, do you ask the recipients family to provide the milk storage bags? I'm not sure how to ask them for that but I would like to keep donating to her. Any suggestions?
That is awesome! Yes, tell them you would be willing to do on-going donations for them and that the only thing you ask is that they replace the milk storage bags you use. That is the general etiquette and I'm sure they already know that and may even be bringing you some. It should not cost the donor anything except time. Good for you for helping this little girl!