Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-05-2010, 08:09 AM   #21
wolffie
Registered Users
seller

Re: WWYD with 900 ounces in the deep freezer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
That is awesome! Yes, tell them you would be willing to do on-going donations for them and that the only thing you ask is that they replace the milk storage bags you use. That is the general etiquette and I'm sure they already know that and may even be bringing you some. It should not cost the donor anything except time. Good for you for helping this little girl!
Thanks! I am really excited!

Advertisement

Mama to ds '08, dd '10, due w/#3 5/13! wife to Missing my angels 6/07, 10/07, 3/12
Let's swag! SWAG friends!
wolffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:34 PM   #22
Lorene
Registered Users

Hi! I am a total lurker coming out of lurkdom, but if there is more milk that youw ould like to donate, I know my friend's foster daughter would greatly benefit from it. She is 18 months old and not able to tolerate anything BUT breastmilk. It's literally keeping her alive.

HEre is a blurb from an email from my friend:
I am caring for an 18 mo old little girl that was medically fragile from birth....born with no pancreas. She is 100% dependent on breastmilk donations. If you would like to donate to her, please reply. We are located in MI.

If you are interested in emailing her: mama_0721@yahoo.com

I know that she would be forever grateful. Thanks so much for the thought.

And good for you for donating it to whomever can use it. I've been trying to build up a donation stash, but my little seems to be allergic to cows milk, so my stash is being used in her cheerios and mac and cheese.
Lorene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:25 PM   #23
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

I haven't read through all of the replies but I wanted to add this... As the recipient of donor milk, I loved meeting donors in person and encourage you to donate that way if you can. You know that your milk is going to a real baby, the recipient gets a feel for your lifestyle and puts a face to the gift that they receive. Milk donation is a wonderful thing!

I also wanted to add that the guidelines for milk storage are just guidelines. If it is in the deep freeze, it will likely last well beyond the one year mark. The first supplement that my DS2 received was a bottle of milk that I had saved from when I was pumping for my first son. I kept it on the door of my freezer compartment for nearly 2 years and it thawed just fine, smelled and looked just like all of my other milk form way back when. As far as the ages of he babies go, ideally the milk should go to a baby whose age is within 6 months of the age your baby was at when the milk was expressed.

Kudos to you for your awesome stash, and good luck finding a new home or use for it!
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:43 PM   #24
echo27
Registered Users
seller
seller

Good for you mama for donating your milk. That is so wonderful.

I too have a deep freeze filled with milk. I have been pumping once a day since my youngest was born. She has never taken a bottle and it is all just sitting there. Mine is all scalded though prior to freezing (due to excess lipase). I can't find anyone that would want it but can't bring myself to throw it all away either! Just a few months ago we had to throw out about 600 ounces because we just didn't have the space for it anymore. It was a sad day for me!
Old 11-08-2010, 08:14 AM   #25
gaakoh
Registered Users

900 oz!!! I'd jump for joy. I have nothing frozen and barely get 2 ozs in the fridge in a week. That's AMAZING!

I hope you find some happy people to donate it to.

Wow.
gaakoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:46 PM   #26
hopetc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wow! I can't believe someone is asking for it to BATHE in! I'd think pouring a small amount over the skin would work just as well - as in an ounce or two.

I'd love to donate but not sure it would ever make sense. I have a 5 wk old and have only 10-20 oz in the freezer but only occasionally pump and do so to leave him for a couple hours now and then.
hopetc is offline   Reply With Quote