Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2007, 09:00 PM   #1
Mum2my2boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Frustrated :(

I dont know what to do. My son is three weeks old and is still having problems with his latch (he has the clicking sound.) I called my LLL leader and talked to her about it and she said that since Im not in any pain and that hes gaining weight, and peeing etc that everthing is probably ok. I called and talked to a LC and she said that sometimes babies make that sound if you have a forceful letdown to slow the flow of the milk. But his latch is getting worse now, and it seems like hes getting too much air when he nurses and is SO horribly gassy and fussy all day. Ive talked to my DH about going to the LC but he says that the $90 is kind of expensive, and that Ive breastfed two kids before and doesnt understand why I cant just fix it on my own, like is my fault. I have tried EVERYTHING to fix it. I watched all the Dr Newman videos, which did give some great advice and tried to find all the info I could on kellymom. I just am getting so frustrated. Im beginning to not look forward to nursing him, and I dont our relationship to be like that.

Advertisement

Mum2my2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:11 PM   #2
kissy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Frustrated :(

Hang in there my son made a clicking noise as he nursed. Everyone kept saying to just wait until the 6 weeks mark and it would be better and it was. I really think you are probably doing fine and talking to LC they seem to think so. Unless he starts to not have enough wet diapers or something I don't think you should worry. Now if he does and dh keeps telling you too expensive show him the formula aisle at grocery store..it really is cheaper in the long run if you need to go. I don't know you personally or anything but it sounds to me like maybe you need a little support. I felt that my son's latch was wrong and worse and he was fussy around 3 weeks and again at 6 weeks ( I am guessing growth spurt) and now he is fine and nursing really strong at 10 weeks. Keep up the good work mama!
kissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:22 PM   #3
stephlynnette
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If he's gaining fine, doesn't seem dehydrated, and has all the signs of a healthy baby, I probably wouldn't worry too much. Keep in contact with your LLL leader; she can give you the RL support you need. Keep a watch on him; have you tried nursing him in different positions, to see if that makes his latch change? When DS1 was having trouble latching on, the football hold REALLY helped.

That being said, if you feel like his latch is getting worse, and that a trip to the LC might help, tell DH to suck it up! Every single baby is different; they all have their quirks and nursing "personalities", so it's not a given that you'd be able to nurse him like a pro right off the bat. And like pp said, a trip to the LC is a whole heckuva lot cheaper than months and months of formula, and you want to nip any latch problems in the bud. mama...
stephlynnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:29 PM   #4
Mum2my2boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks guys..my hormones are still crrrazy so Im like all emotional. I hope the clicking does go away, but I dont know what to do about the excess air/ gassiness thing. Its obvious hes in a lot of pain, but he doesnt burp or anything. Ive tried to even give him a little mylicon to no avail. Luckily my LLL meeting is Wed. Im probably going to call Lactation Care on Monday though anyway. I know I can get the money for it, if I put up enough of a fuss. Either that or I can sell some of my diapers..blaugh..
Old 03-09-2007, 09:37 PM   #5
stephlynnette
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Could he be sensitive to something in your diet? That's the way Andy and Logan both acted when I had dairy; with Andy, we didn't figure it out until he was about 3-4 weeks old. I looked for it with Logan, and figured it out before he was a week old. He still gets eczema patches & gets gassy and rashy when I have dairy; when he was tiny, it was awful. Green poops, terrible gassiness that mylicon wouldn't touch, a bloated tummy...

I hope you get it figured out soon, so he can get some relief!
stephlynnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:51 PM   #6
Mum2my2boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I may have to try an elimination diet. His poops have been normal so far..yellow seedy, although today he did have a greenish one, but I was thinking it was from too much foremilk.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:52 PM   #7
alysia101
Registered Users
seller

If you think he may be doing it b/c of a forceful let down try reclining while you nurse. Thats what I have to do with my dd. She has reflux and my forceful letdown and heavy flow don't help. I lay back so she draws the milk out rather than it running down her throat. It has helped a little. Sometimes I can even just lay down and drape her over me.

The only other thing I can think of is get his mouth open really wide and make sure that tongue is down. Whenever I had clicking it was usually b/c they didn't have enough breast in the mouth.

Best of Luck!!
Old 03-10-2007, 09:27 AM   #8
Ali
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

nak

do you think he may have reflux and not gas? My baby boy had a lot of pain early on and it turned out he actually had reflux. I thought they were gas issues too so I mentioned it to my ped. He suggested it may be reflux. I don't like giving my kids medicine, but when he gets the reflux meds he is like a totally different,happy baby then when he doesn't get them.

If your baby is arching and screaming out in pain I'd say to get that checked out.

Ali is offline   Reply With Quote