Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-05-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Question if you have done Explode the Code?

I am just getting ready to start this with my 5 1/2 year old. He is just coming out of pre-k. I didn't realize, but he has his letters and his letter sounds down pat. Where do I start?? I bought the flash cards of the letters, pictures, etc.....well we don't need those. I got the first book (have a local store that sells it) in the Getting Ready to Explode the Code. I am going to exchange it, too easy for him.

Anyone help me out??

Advertisement

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:57 AM   #2
ktmamma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Question if you have done Explode the Code?

I'd either do the first three books as a review - we are doing that with DD right now and she finished the first two books in about two months She gets frustrated easily with phonics and any writing so I wanted to make sure she had everything down pat before starting the main books. Or you can just jump right in with XTC1. If I remember correctly (I don't have it in front of me right now) it reviews consonants and starts on short vowel sounds.

Last edited by ktmamma; 11-05-2010 at 09:58 AM.
ktmamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
Florida_Jen
Registered Users

My Mood:

ETC 1 jumps right into CVC words. It does each vowel individually and then mixes them together in the review lessons. If he knows how letters blend together to form cvc words than he will do fine in ETC 1.

The first lesson does words like rat, hat, bat, cat, sat. My 5 y.o DS did ETC book 1 in about 2 months (1 lesson a week), and is now finishing book 2 in about 2.5 months (again about a lesson a week)
Florida_Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
Florida_Jen
Registered Users

My Mood:

Also with a boy so young don't feel like he has to do all the writing in the lessons. My son skips a lot of the writing (especially on pages where they are supposed to circle the letter and then also write the whole word) or he tells me the letters and I write it down for him. I have also let him use letter stamps to stamp the words at the end of the lesson where they are spelling them.

As we are finishing book 2 he is starting to write more on his own and I hope to have him writing everything by himself by the end of book 3.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:17 AM   #5
ktmo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I originally bought the Get ready for the Code set, but found they were too easy for DD. So, we started with Book 1. I knew she was at the point where she could blend sounds together to make words. She is now almost finished with Book 2. She did fine.

I agree that you don't have to do all of the writing parts. Sometimes I would write for DD, or we would skip the pages with a lot of writing. On the pages where the words were at the top in a Word Box and pictures at the bottom, she would just draw a line from the picture to the word. Now that she is able to write more and more, we sometimes go back to earlier lessons and do those pages as a little review.
Katie - DD#1 - 5/05 and DD#2 - 4/07
Search and Win with swagbucks
See my Shopping Reviews
ktmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Sweet! I got the book 1, we will start it on Monday. I got some beginning blends type flash cards, and he is starting to kind of blend beginning sounds.

So when did your kiddo start reading or is it still work in progress? Like when could they kind of read a BOB book or early reader. Or is that suppose to be when they are done with x number of books??

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:16 PM   #7
Florida_Jen
Registered Users

My Mood:

As soon as he finishes the first lesson in book 1 he would be able to read the first book in set 1 of the bob books. I think all those books in that set he should be able to read while working through ETC book 1.