Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-10-2010, 12:11 PM   #21
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Selling Breast Milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNC View Post
Not true - I was not able to get more than 20oz off of milkshare for Kara when I was looking. I would have gladly paid someone local for their milk!
so sorry you weren't able to get much! i don't think i would ever have charged anyone, though. It wouldn't feel right for me. I'm sure it might be different if we were in dire financial straits.

honestly i'm not a big fan of the format change. when it was a yahoo group i would always get the milk requests emailed to me. now that it's a forum, i hear people have a tougher time getting donors because we don't hang out there. i'm planning to donate again once this baby comes.

Advertisement

sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:28 PM   #22
sisterof10
Registered Users

I can understand why people would discourage you from selling your milk, but I don't think that those same people will step up and pay for your family's living expenses so you can keep donating.

It's like saying that a landlord shouldn't charge rent because people need housing. Or that the local farmers with farmstands should just give away their produce because people need food. Yes, sometimes, many times, it is possible to give things away, but sometimes you need money to support your family, and at that point in time you sell your wares instead.

That being said, I have no helpful advice as to how to find buyers for your milk. Best wishes to you and your family.
sisterof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #23
04Maggie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would love to know how it works out for you... I have had similar thoughts of selling my milk (due with a baby next month), and have looked at onlythebreast.com, but again wondered if anyone has actually had success selling it.
04Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #24
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Nothing to offer by hugs and I hope you can find a buyer locally.

You might also consider taking in a daycare child for some extra money.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #25
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees View Post
OK, I'll probably get flamed, but does it matter if it's pervs buying the milk? Money is money, and if moms won't buy it and you have a need for the cash, what's the big deal? You don't have to ask what they are doing with it. JMO. Any "mom" you sell it to could be a perv herself. You don't really know, you know?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterof10 View Post
I can understand why people would discourage you from selling your milk, but I don't think that those same people will step up and pay for your family's living expenses so you can keep donating.

It's like saying that a landlord shouldn't charge rent because people need housing. Or that the local farmers with farmstands should just give away their produce because people need food. Yes, sometimes, many times, it is possible to give things away, but sometimes you need money to support your family, and at that point in time you sell your wares instead.

That being said, I have no helpful advice as to how to find buyers for your milk. Best wishes to you and your family.

i totally agree with both of these ladies. dont feel bad about selling your milk, people sell blood/plasma (which other people need) and arent made to feel bad about it. do what you need for your family!

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #26
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I would buy milk if I needed it and things like eats on feets didn't exist (like when my older kids were babies). Milk banks at hospitals used to charge like several dollars an ounce to insurance companies (this was like 20 yrs ago) and so I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Not sure of the market you would get, like since there are free organizations, you might not make enough. Sorry about your DH
Old 05-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #27
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sorry about your DH, hopefully he finds a job ASAP.

The market of buying breastmilk usually appeals to those with a ******. There are organizations out there (Milkshare, Eats on Feets, Human Milk 4 Human Babies and more localy ones) that are strictly for donations, so I don't know if you'll make much money selling your milk. All the women who I have helped with breastmilk issues said they would not pay more milk, mainly because trying to feed a baby off of breastmilk when paying for it was way more than paying for formula, plus you can get it in many places for free. So I just don't know, but hugs to you and your family.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #28
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

ZOMBIE THREAD!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #29
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Icecremist. Not sure if I spell that right they make ice cream from breast milk. Not sure process but they pay well. Big hit overseas. I know in donating there were tests every 3 months or so. I think same. Look it up I think for martini glass its like 25.00 & people buy it. Not sure if still around. I remember hearing about b4.

You could try just finding moms by u having lactation probs & see if they would pay u. I would be willing to offer them a clean bill of health from doc as proof.

I know few here that just gave others bmilk but I understand where u come from. If u have craftyness u could try that or look 4 free stuff & sell on ebay & stuff 4 $.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #30
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Up to 6mo in freezer in fridge deep freeze I was told -20 not 0. U have to pack in ice & send fast ship like overnight depending where & temps. Lots of work. There are places but I saw more up for sale than people looking.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote