Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-05-2010, 12:09 PM   #1
sundaesprinkles
Registered Users
seller

homeschooling: where to start with 7yo, 3yo, 14m?

I am interested in beginning homeschooling my 3 children. As title states, I have a 7yo, 3yo, and 14mo. My DD is currently in PS, but we are having difficulty, and she is understimulated in the classroom setting but not testing high enough on "state" specified "gifted or accellerated" students testing to move up a grade. DD is also exhibiting some behavior problems at home, but now, they are slowing creeping up at school. I wonder how at this point I would start to homeschool? It is the middle of the year...and with the 2 younger kiddos, how would I make sure she was getting what she needed, and not just spend the "classroom time" chasing after DS1 and DS2? I re ally feel I am missing out on mother/daughter time with her and I think this would give her an opportunity to shine and grow in the areas she is ready to, but areas that PS is holding her back.

Also....do I have to jump through any paper trail hoops to get to be an "established" homeschooler? Other than my college education, I went to a non-accredited private Christian school....so I could'nt use them as an umbrella organization, correct?

Thanks mamas, any advice or your similar stories would be so appreciated!

Advertisement

Old 11-05-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: homeschooling: where to start with 7yo, 3yo, 14m?

First, you need to know the laws in your state. I know HSLDA (Homeschool Legal Defence Association) has them listed on their website. Secondly, know your daughter's learning style and what you want her to learn. At 7 (2nd grade), my son does handwriting, phonics, history, and math every day. Science and writing are both twice a week. He typically spends 1 1/2 to 2 hours on schoolwork each day.

As for how to work it with the younger ones, lots of options. Find something the little ones can do quietly at the table with you. Do schoolwork during naps. Sometimes this is when my youngest watches her movie.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
sundaesprinkles
Registered Users
seller

ok.....looked at that site....so she is in the second grade and i have a bachelor's degree so we are good on the qualifications part of it...
here is the tricky part....

we reside in tennessee, but DD goes to school in VA (we lived in VA at the beginning of the school year and have since moved...however it is a small school, and they have a program out of state/county can attend as long as there are enough seats for the in region students) however, we plan to possible move back to VA or another state not really sure, as it is for DH's job???

what are the rules on moving? and is there an application process for that if you move in the middle of the year after already involved in homeschooling?
also, this school year doesnt end until june 2nd....so should she continue out the school year in PS? or switch to HS during Christmas break?

Yeah, that is what i was thinking too....with the naps and giving the others some busy work or art work to do .....I totally think it is possible and DD definitely needs structure and accountability that she is not being given at PS!

thanks for the tips...anyone else?
NAK
Old 11-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #4
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

As far as laws go you have to abide by the laws of the state you live in. If you live in Tennessee those are the laws that you have to abide by for homeschooling, whatever they are (sorry I'm not really familiar, I'm in Tx). If you move you will have to make sure you are still homeschooling legally for whatever state you are now living in. Whether you pull her out now or wait till the end of the year is really up to you. Kearnan only attended school for one full year. He did temporarily attend a PPCD program at 4 but I pulled him from that rather quickly, lets just say when your child repeatedly comes home in wet clothes you start to doubt a programs ability to provide adequate care and supervision let alone education. Anyway I did let him complete a full year at his charter school because he was enjoying it and we were still on the fence in our decision making process. I wasn't in a hurry to jump in to anything. I was fairly certain he wouldn't be returning for another year of school but I didn't have anything in place curriculum wise to bring him home and he wanted to stay with his friends. I wanted to give school the best chance at working. It didn't work. However that was the only year he ever attended. It sounds like your dd has spent two years in the school system already. She has had a chance for PS to work, it hasn't. Now it is time for a change. We had tried HS and it hadn't been working, we were trying to let PS (well charter school be it is essentially the same) work and wanted to give it a full year test. There is no reason you cannot pull a child out at the half year point. Have you chosen what curriculum you want you use when you bring her home?
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
sundaesprinkles
Registered Users
seller

anyone have any other input? tia