Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-05-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Feeling a little unsure

We're doing kindergarten this year. And I'm not doing much, honestly, alot of reading, working on learning to read and of course basic math.

I'm thinking about next school year (first grade), and am at a loss on what to do.

I'm also re-thinking our involvment in the home-school group. While my son loves it because he gets to be with other children.. he's SOOO social... I'm just not sure I want to participate anymore (this is our 3rd or4th semester being involved)...

Seeing how much he loves being with other children, and I don't have all the extra money needed to put him all these extra activities (sports, swimming, etc..).. I'm really starting to second guess my choice to home-school, and am wondering if he really does need to be in school.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who started out with doubts! Please tell me that my hesitation is normal and I'll "get over it."

Thanks
God bless!

Advertisement

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
Hitchkids
Registered Users

Re: Feeling a little unsure

Everyone second guesses their decision at times no matter how they have decided to school their children. If you are having issues with activities with your group being expensive, try planning/organizing group activities on your own. I am pretty sure you are not the only one thinking I really wish there were activities for the kids that were not so expensive. Our favorite activity with our former homeschooling group was a park day. Once a week we all met at a park or someone's home with a pool or at a small beach. Everyone who could afford to brought a snack or drink to share but no one was required to bring anything. Some folks packed a lunch. It was just an afternoon once a week or so to allow the families to get together in a low key way. Moms could talk, kids could play. I've tried to start the same thing in our current location but so many of the mom's here are afraid to take even an hr break because "they'll get behind" or something. Drives me batty.

Another option would be to start organizing field trips on your own. There are lots of places that provide free or low cost field trips. You can tour the fire station, a fast food restaurant, police department. I'm blanking on most of the places we have gone in the past. Some libraries will set up special story time programs. Host a messy science or art day in your home or with someone else with a bigger space. Many museums and zoos will give you group discounts or school rates. Maybe have a theme party. Pick a historically themed or fun movie and invite folks over for a party around it's theme. You can dress up and have fun food. Just get creative. Our local bowling alley's host bowling leagues for homeschoolers. Works great for them to bring in kids during the day when they would be empty. They only charge $2 a week for younger kids (bumpers) and $4 a week for older kids who bowl 2 games. That includes shoes and a pizza party at the end of the year. The places make a killing on the food sales while folks are there so it works for everyone. Don't be afraid to ask local businesses if they will host something of the sort for you.

We don't put our kids in lots of extra activities. We just don't have the time, energy or money to do it. That does not mean they don't get social time. They just maybe get less social time outside of our family than some other folks. Personally I think that is a good thing. I'd prefer for my kids to think of their brothers and sisters for friends first and to remain grounded in our beliefs while they are still young. Now that our older 2 are hitting the teen years, we are making more of an effort to seek out social opportunities for them but I don't worry so much about the elementary and preschool age kids.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:44 PM   #3
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are just now starting. My son will be doing pre-k/k work. I'm hoping he can go to 1st grade work next year, but I'll need to see how it goes. He just turned 5 in Oct. So, technically, he is pre-k and k next year. I don't even have my materials yet. I'm going to be ordering them in the next day or two.

I have serious doubts. I'm afraid that I can't actually get it done since I have him and twin toddlers and twin infants. That is the biggest reason I am going with a full curriculum for pre-k and starting in the middle of the year. Just trying to do low-key on our own stuff that I pull together isn't working for us. I don't have a clue what to do and I'm basically doing nothing because of it. I'm really scared to wait till next year when he is really supposed to be doing K to find out we can't do it. Then, he would really be behind.

If this doesn't work, then he can start K next year in PS. BUT, I am not planning to have that happen. I am planning to make this work. I haven't a clue what I'm doing, but I think this is best. So we are going to figure this out as a family and make it work. If you want to do this, you can make it work.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies.

Hopefully my husband will be able to get his van fixed soon, and when he does I'll be back to having a car during the day while he's at school. Then maybe we'll be able to do more.

My home-school group isn't that expensive. It's going to cost me $35 for the year (registration and class fees), and the field trips during the year aren't that expensive. My main issue is that I don't have the car to go on the extra stuff.

And for the past semesters, I've enjoyed the co-op. But lately, by the time Thursday rolls around I am just tired and I think "Ugh, I don't want to do thist tomorrow." And I'm secheduled to be a teacher next semester, and at first I was excited, but now I just feel like "Ugh, whatever."

I don't know what's wrong with me lately. Sorry for whining.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:49 PM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Do you have to do the co-op thing every week? We are in two co-ops, but you don't have to do class every week. They both want you to do at least one thing a month with the group, but that's it. And lots of times we just go to the park day and rarely do we do anything academic with the groups.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:12 AM   #6
terrismez
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think everyone has second thoughts at one point or another - so normal!!! I always suggest people read There's an Angel in the Marble - even once a year - it's about the WHY of homeschooling.

terrismez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:46 AM   #7
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we have never done a coop and ds is 8. He goes to Karate 2x a week and then church sunday school 1x a week. In my opinion that is plenty of time for other kids to influence my child. LOL
Old 11-07-2010, 11:40 AM   #8
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly Designs View Post
we have never done a coop and ds is 8. He goes to Karate 2x a week and then church sunday school 1x a week. In my opinion that is plenty of time for other kids to influence my child. LOL
I agree. We have church on Sundays and AWANA on Wednesday nights, plus the kids play with other kids during the week. That is why I asked if you have to do the co-op thing every week. I don't do well with a schedule and a forced routine, so if we get too many things on the schedule, I get overwhelmed.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote