Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-06-2010, 06:19 AM   #1
Shayspenguin
Registered Users

My Mood:
18 months too young?

What was the age that most of you guys introduced potty training to your children? My son is 18 months and I now have a 2 month old to take care of while my husband is deployed. I would really like to tackle the potty training adventure but i'm afraid he might be too young to grasp the concept.
He knows what he's doing when he's doing number two but how can I get him to tell me when he needs to do it?

Advertisement

Shayspenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:50 AM   #2
Denver's Mom
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: 18 months too young?

my son is just a bit older we are just working on the vocab. pee pee poopies what ever your choice is he flushes the toilet but nothing is a big deal he is still in diapers we are not going to really try until he is 2 that is when they really have the mental understanding and the muscle skills too. i am sure that it is hard with two and the desire to get him done would be wonderful my suggestion is start reading up for yourself "The No Cry Potty Training Solution" I have yet to read it but her No cry sleep solution worked wonders!
Denver's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:41 AM   #3
AVeryHappyMama
Registered Users

O, he's dry most of the day at almost 20 months and was about 50% at 18 months. I'm following the advice & research of Dr Jill Lekovic FAAP in her book "Diaper Free Before Three" and also have used "Baby Signs All Aboard the Potty Train" kit and really is working steadily. Highly recommend them.

Teneo: Our Daily Homeschool Journey
AVeryHappyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:57 AM   #4
mommajewels
Registered Users
seller
seller

It varies by child. Some just aren't ready when we want them to be. I've started PLing all of my children between 15-18 months & have had them all (so far) completely potty learned by their 2nd birthday. However, I have friends who try like heck w/ their kiddos to no avail because they just aren't ready. It's more than just HIM learning, as well. At his age, you have to learn to read his potty cues & be ready to take him when you know he needs to go. Goodluck!
Old 11-06-2010, 08:30 AM   #5
thaisa47
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both of my kiddos seem to be really interested in the potty between 17-19 months, and so we have jumped on that interest. My DS was completely trained at 2 years, and I am sure that DD won't be too far behind (she is almost 19 months).

For poops, I think it's mainly asking and talking to them. If you identify what they are doing, that helps. I also put them on the potty while they are pooping (even in a diaper) and encourage them to keep going.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:21 PM   #6
Shayspenguin
Registered Users

My Mood:

Very cool. Thank you all for the advice. I'll do some more research on it and see how it goes. Wish me luck!
Shayspenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:14 PM   #7
cera11
Registered Users
seller

They can learn to know what those processes are, like you said your little guy already knows what happens when he's doing it, just getting him to do it in the right place... both my kids are SCARED of their poop and that's normal. Something to work on. I started at 17 m.o. and then we're just too busy to catch him pooping every morning regularly so we're taking a break from PT (now he's 18 m.o.) until he gets to a more comfortable place for himself and us working with him. He really tries esp. copying big bro but seemed like he doesn't have the muscle control.
Good luck and if you are ever so inclined share with us what works...
cera11 is offline   Reply With Quote