Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-06-2010, 10:09 PM   #21
ittybittycoconuts
Registered Users
seller

Re: What's cooking this weekend?

almond poppy seed muffins, a pizza, a 13lb turkey(maybe monday), Im thinking of making a big pot of pozole.

Advertisement

ittybittycoconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:10 PM   #22
Shellyluwho
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocho View Post
Hmm, I made cookies today. But they were the frozen kind from a school fundraiser. lol
White Chocolate Macadamia nut. Yum

Maybe bread in the bread maker tomorrow. I did make homemade scalloped potatoes with ham yesterday. Just like my mom used to make.
Oooo, I need to make scalloped potatoes and ham again. It is soooo yummy!
Old 11-07-2010, 03:06 AM   #23
photocat
Registered Users

Brownies-to-die-for are the only thing worth mentioning over here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_mommy78 View Post
They are great! I could eat a whole batch by myself!
Ingredients
1/2 cup butter (softened)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets (DON"T FORGET TO DO THIS!!) I forgot to grease them once and it was a mess!!
In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Combine the flour and baking soda; stir into the sugar mixture. Mix in the white chocolate chips and cranberries. Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool for 1 minute on the cookie sheets before transferring cooling racks

They freeze GREAT and they are pretty much a "no fail" recipe (gotta love those!) ENJOY!
Yum, I'll be trying those!

I accidentally bought 2 x 2.5 kg/5.5 lb bags of white chocolate a few weeks ago. I opened one and when I realised my mistake (I meant to buy the 70% dark, but it was very poorly labelled and I had 3 kids with me) tried to return the other unopened bag. They don't take returns on food However, I pleaded my case re the poor labelling and they eventually agreed to refund me the un-opened bag. But, they couldn't sell it, due to the fact they don't know how it had been stored, so they let me keep it anyway. Now I have 5 kgs/11 lbs of white chocolate!

And someone asked about using chunk choc in cookies? Yes! It's the best, take any choc and chop it up to your preferred size. I don't use choc chips because first up I'm a guts and if it's got chocolate in it, I want the taste and the crunch and the mouth-feel of chocolate. Regular choc chips are not big enough for this effect And secondly choc chips are usually compound chocolate which I don't like.

photocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:14 AM   #24
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squig'sMumMum View Post
Today I baked a pumpkin pie (shell was store bought, but I make my own pumpkin puree from a real pumpkin, so it evens out ) and because I had a bit leftover, a little dish of pumpkin pie filling for DD and I to share (kind of like pumpkin creme brulee LOL).
I reheated frozen pasta from a couple weeks ago for dinner though, and had grilled cheese for lunch with apple slices. I was sewing all day, so really busy and I needed quick meals
I saw our profile picture and thought-those pads look like Little Luxuries...then I saw your siggy---congrats on the business!
debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:16 AM   #25
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimy72 View Post
I had a 13 lb turkey in the freezer that my work gave me for christmas last year, and since we aren't having thanksgiving here this year I roasted that puppy up this morning. Then I peeled about 15 lbs of potatoes just now. We're having early thanksgiving dinner tonight. With the extra spuds I found a recipe to do freezer mashed potatoes that looks good, and I'll debone the rest of the turkey and use it to do some freezer meals as well. I'm also hoping to get some pumpkin pie made and maybe some muffins if I have energy. For lunch tomorow we're having 7 layer bean dip, and for dinner we're having greek dish (a one dish skillet with potatoes, stewed tomatoes, italian sausage or hamburger). So that's my plan for the weekend.
Would love the recipe for this!
Old 11-07-2010, 06:23 AM   #26
flynnsmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yesterday I made ratatouille and polenta- many of the veggies were from our garden. Today I may make a challah bread or oatmeal cookies.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:49 AM   #27
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sorry for the multiple posts, I still haven't figured out how to multiple quote.

The soup was sooooooooo good! Dh wanted to add bacon so he went to get some and then realized he left it at the store and had to go back. He really wanted to add it to the soup. It was good with/without it, too. I did add a lot of cheese. Oh, it was so yummy!!!!! Not much is leftover.

Today:
Applesauce (I never got to it because I started to grade papers)
Cinnamon Raisin Bread-breadmachine
Chicken-breasts and thighs. We have to use it up. I'm going to make soup for me for work this week.

I'd love to make cookies, brownies--but that would require a trip to the store.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:59 AM   #28
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

double post

Last edited by slimy72; 11-07-2010 at 09:57 AM.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:59 AM   #29
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have two pumpkin pies in the oven right now. Turkey dinner last night was great but I so missed the pumpkin pies. So I made them today and we'll have them with left over turkey dinner for lunch. I think that the 7 layer bean dip I was making for lunch will get postponed until sometime later in the week now.

Mashed Potato Cups (for the freezer)
6 cups hot mashed potatoes (without added milk or butter)
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 & 1/3 cups plus 2 T. shredded colby jack cheese divided
2 tablesppons miced fresh parsley

Combine all ingredients except parseley and 2 T. cheese. Spoon into muffin pans. Top each "muffin" with a little cheese and parsley. Either Freeze for later, or bake as directed below for immediate use. I'm going to pop them out of the tins and put in ziplocks once frozen.

To use Thaw in the refrigerator, bake at 350 degrees uncovered for 15-20 min.

Also after deboning all the meat off the turkey I put the caracss in a pot with water, vegis herbs from the garden adn some seasoning. It's been simmering all morning, and I now have a lovely pot of turkey broth. Now I just need to figure out what to do with it. I'm debating between making a turkey soup for this week, or putting it in bottles and pressure canning it to put on the shelf and use later. hmmm...anyone have a good turkey soup recipe? I'm also thinking of maybe making some turkey pot pies to put in the freezer.

Last edited by slimy72; 11-07-2010 at 07:27 AM.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:11 AM   #30
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Slimy-thanks for the recipe! I have potatoes that must use up within the next few days.

I bet your house smells soooooooooo good!

No turkey soup recipes, but I'd love to hear of any recipes for using leftover turkey!