Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #11
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: pinto bean thread spin off

My family (from california) makes beans frequently. They are originally from Missouri though.

We season them with a ham hock and leftover ham, garlic, onions, salt and pepper. I have also done them with bacon (fried in the beginning).

Advertisement

Old 11-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #12
RebekahG77
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP View Post
My family (from california) makes beans frequently. They are originally from Missouri though.

We season them with a ham hock and leftover ham, garlic, onions, salt and pepper. I have also done them with bacon (fried in the beginning).
A ham hock makes for the BEST beans!

But if you don't have that, you can just use salt and pepper, or a little broth (whichever flavor your have or like).

You've reminded me that I have a big ol' bag of beans in the cupboard. I think I'll make them tomorrow along with some corn bread!

As for me, I wash them and pick out any rocks or dirt clumps (don't skip this... there really are rocks in there sometimes ) Put them in a pot with water about 2 inches above the beans. Bring them to a boil, then turn off the heat, cover and let sit for 2 hours. Then I either transfer them to a crock pot on high all day (adding more water), or let them simmer on the stove all day. If they simmer on the stove, make sure you're around to add more water as it cooks down.

OH! ANd I'm from SoCal (originally from Indiana though... beans were staple growing up)
RebekahG77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:01 AM   #13
mommysweetpea
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2S2C View Post
well I know people cook beans because we have a high hispanic population, but nobody I know does and I've never heard of eating it twice a week and being a "southern" thing like people were saying in the other thread. Beans to me are refried or in chili. oh and Im in the inland empire.
Hey, I'm in the I.E. too! Where are you at? I'm in Redlands.

Last edited by mommysweetpea; 11-07-2010 at 07:03 AM.
mommysweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #14
ittybittycoconuts
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
That is true and why everyone I know makes beans including me
I didn't know about the southern thing neither, it is nice to learn new things which is why I love reading this board.
I don't know where that's at,inland empire, going to check..hehe I'm in central cali
Inland empire is in from san diego and riverside, its a huge area

I had to LOL at no one in CA cooks dried beans, they come from a can. Growing up beans were something my mom made once or twice a year but a 13 bean soup. Pintos or refried came from a can or the mexican restaurant!

With that said, I had no idea people could fry things at home until I was an adult, 22! People just dont do that around here! It was a southern transplant family that brought it to my attention. They were almost beside themselves I had never fried anything, it was a good laugh for them.

Last edited by ittybittycoconuts; 11-07-2010 at 11:55 AM.
ittybittycoconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #15
sallysboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Glad to see someone pointed out that you need to sort and wash your beans. A must unless you want to eat a lot of dirt and sometimes a rock.

We love beans and go through about 50lbs a year! I make some sort of dried beans at least 1-2 X a week and my kids love them!

ON THE SHOPPING WAGON!
sallysboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #16
Leeldoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I soak the picked through beans (looks for little balls of dirt) overnight and drain and rinse the next morning. Into the crockpot and cover completely with water. I also add ham, if available, plus some onions (fresh or dehydrated), 3 pinches of salt and a number of good shakes of black pepper. If you have it epazote is a herb that can reduce gas-- just a tiny bit of it when cooking. Cook on low all day and enjoy a nice pinto bean soup for dinner.
Leeldoo is offline   Reply With Quote