Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-10-2007, 07:13 AM   #1
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Need a home study done - nervous, also could use help if you're in OH

I need a home study done ASAP. Does anyone live in OH that's been through it? Can you point me in the right direction? What costs are we looking at? The birthmother is someone we know & not through an agency - friend of the family (fingers crossed all goes well). We just need to meet all the state requirements.

Also, anyone that's been through it period? I'm a little nervous

Advertisement

Last edited by CMamma; 03-12-2007 at 05:08 AM.
CMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:35 AM   #2
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

Re: Need a home study done - neverous, also could use help if you're in OH

No advice just HUGS!
Old 03-10-2007, 07:37 AM   #3
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahs_mommie View Post
No advice just HUGS!
TY

I'm sure I should just wait until Mon & call to talk to a lawyer, etc but YOU KNOW I can't!!! LOL

I'm finding fees & time frames ALL over the map! We were JUST getting ready to start the proccess when this sort of happened upon us. So exciting, but a time crunch. We are finding that it ranges 3-6 mos for homestudies but the baby is due in June. I found an agency that does them w/a "no wait" list but they charge $1200. I'm not sure if this is an appropriate price?

I also need to call the base legal team in Cleveland Monday... jeepers! Lots of phone calls!!! Just hope this works out! Either way, we'd be doing this stuff, but I feel like I'm TTC or expecting all the sudden!

Last edited by CMamma; 03-10-2007 at 07:39 AM.
CMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:25 AM   #4
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Everyone is so nervous for the home study and its actually one of the easiest things I swear. Remember the social worker is on your side. HE/She wants you to adopt a baby. I had three homestudy meetings. Two in the office and one at my home. The ones in the office just consisted of the social worker asking questions. It was more of a conversation type thing rather than an interogation! The actualin home study lasted 15 minutes max and all she did was walk around, ask where did I plan for the baby to sleep, checked out all the rooms, (The social worker is not going to go thru your cabinets or drawers) They did check to see if I had medications locked up or up out of reach, made sure I had working smoke detectors, and working fire extinquishers. Everyone is nervous for the homestudy and usually cleans like crazy. I know that If I had pets I would have to show that they were updated on shots on their vet reports. The social worker will probably want to ask your other children some questions about having a new baby if they are old enough to understand. Good Luck! How exciting for you. $1200 dollars is a pretty reasonable price for a homestudy. I would say its worth getting it done asap because you never know if she would have the baby early or not.

Kimmyann

Last edited by Kimmyann; 03-10-2007 at 09:26 AM.
Kimmyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:38 PM   #5
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How exciting, the homestudy for us was with the state so was free, but if we want to buy it and use it for private adoption they charge us something like $1,000 or more, so $1200 seems about right.
It's not as bad as it sounds, they checked to make sure we have a place for the baby, a safe home, FBI and DOJ fingerprints scans (another $100 a couple) a basic physical from our doctor to say we are OK. and a couple of interviews with the SW doing the homestudy and we were done.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:30 PM   #6
fostermomcchr
Registered Users
seller

A typical homestudy takes 3-6 mths, and our agency STARTS at $1000 for one, I would say if they can do an expidited one for $1200, that is great! Like everyone else said, it is not anything to be nervous about, they are out to help you, not eliminate you. Just be sure you have a smoke detector on each floor-each bedroom is ideal, each floor required, as well as a fire extinguisher close to any heat source-fireplace, stove, heater, etc, all meds locked up, cleaners out of reach-not just with cabinet locks, mine wanted them up high, no firearms w/in reach and the bullets stored separately from firearms, an escape plan that is written out, and a place for the baby to sleep-not own room, but must be own bed-even if you plan to cosleep, all I can remember since our homestudy was over 9yrs ago and was not for adoption purposes, but rather for private adoption.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:14 AM   #7
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Need a home study done - nervous, also could use help if you're in OH

Does anyone know what they check for in your background? I wonder if they'd take our military records background checks & use them - DH just had his done like 2 weeks ago & mine would just need updated. All our prints are on file, etc. Just curious, but they probably wouldn't/want it to be independant.

I'm nervous still! I'm worried they'll be like "Oh sorry 10 years ago you got a ticket" or whatever & say you can't adopt.

TY for all the FB. I really appreciate it.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:17 PM   #8
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

I think we are possible going to consider looking through an agency. Has anyone done this? I've called & the prices aren't incredibly far off from what it's going to cost to meet all the requirements for OH. Of course they are higher at the agency for initial comparison but I can't add in milage, lawyers charge per hour for travel, etc until after they tell me & an agency is refundable if the mother changes their mind - at least the ones I've spoken with.

Anyone done this?
Old 03-12-2007, 06:52 PM   #9
fostermomcchr
Registered Users
seller

The background checks are nothing to worry about-they check for child abuse, sexual issues and arrests such as that. The driving record I had done was for DUI only, didn't check for tickets or anything like that-or actually, the record might have included those things, but the agency said they were only concerned with DUIs. If you can go with an agency, I would. There would be someone to answer all your questions and then you would also be in their system for more children should you decide to adopt again.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:57 PM   #10
mama2iliana
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I remember being really nervous as well but then it turned out to be a very positive experience. It was in MN though and about 15yrs ago so I don't remember much else except that the anticipation almost drove me nuts.
I'm excited for you.

See my listings for (updated 11/16/07)fabric , women's coats/jackets , women's Hanna , girl's 2, 3, 4, 5 andboy's 3, 4, 5
mama2iliana is offline   Reply With Quote