Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-08-2010, 05:12 AM   #1
firefaery6683
Registered Users
seller

co-worker wants to buy 1 year old TV and DVD player!?!?

Well the title says it all. I work with a lady, and we were talking about Christmas coming up. She was saying some things she got for her 1 year old daughter and then says "I need to get her a TV and DVD player." My other co-worker and I just sat there in dumbfounded silence for a minute then I think we both spat out a "zuh" type of response. I asked her whatever for?? She said she got her some dvd's and needs one for her to watch them on... she lives with her sister and they have a tv.... but this one would be for her daughter. The other girl there said something to the affect of "she doesn't need a tv! What are you going to get her when she's like 10?"and I joked about her having ADHD by the time she's 7 (studies I read showed kids who watched tv under the age of two, had a 10% increase in chance of developing adhd for every hour on average a day they watched... ex. kid watched 1 hour a day showed 10% higher chance than those that didn't..kid that watch 4 hours a day showed 40% increased chance). But it wasn't even that, it was just that there were so many other things you can get a 1 year old to develop their brains and imagination. The thing that got me is she said the little girl doesn't even like tv.Whenever it's on, she glances over, then moves on! I tried to give her some other suggestions, and she said she never thought of them.
Am I crazy in thinking getting 1 year old her own tv and dvd player is just a little bit.... extravagant?

Advertisement

Old 11-08-2010, 05:33 AM   #2
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: co-worker wants to buy 1 year old TV and DVD player!?!?

Yeah, that's a really terrible gift. The only TV/DVD player I'd get a 1yr old is one for the car for a ridiculously long ride.

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:37 AM   #3
mekat
Registered Users

A TV wouldn't be my choice either but it isn't my child or my family. IMO this is a family matter.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:45 AM   #4
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekat View Post
A TV wouldn't be my choice either but it isn't my child or my family. IMO this is a family matter.
I agree. I'd be upset if people were laughing at my choice of gift for my child.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:48 AM   #5
firefaery6683
Registered Users
seller

We weren't laughing at her, we were just baffled..she didn't know what else to get her, which really tells me what kind of influence media has over our lives. Everyone is bombarded with "get your kid this dvd...this electronic game.. " It's sad that this was the only option she thought was feesible.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:56 AM   #6
mbleblanc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is odd, really a waste of a present but I totally get the dumbfoundedness(wow long word) because a one year getting a new tv/dvd player for christmas is somewhat laughable since they dont even know what it is!
Old 11-08-2010, 06:08 AM   #7
watermelon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am shocked by the number of the childrens friends that have TVs in their bedrooms. One of the times I would have been sitting there quietly biting my tongue.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:12 AM   #8
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery6683 View Post
Well the title says it all. I work with a lady, and we were talking about Christmas coming up. She was saying some things she got for her 1 year old daughter and then says "I need to get her a TV and DVD player." My other co-worker and I just sat there in dumbfounded silence for a minute then I think we both spat out a "zuh" type of response. I asked her whatever for?? She said she got her some dvd's and needs one for her to watch them on... she lives with her sister and they have a tv.... but this one would be for her daughter. The other girl there said something to the affect of "she doesn't need a tv! What are you going to get her when she's like 10?"and I joked about her having ADHD by the time she's 7 (studies I read showed kids who watched tv under the age of two, had a 10% increase in chance of developing adhd for every hour on average a day they watched... ex. kid watched 1 hour a day showed 10% higher chance than those that didn't..kid that watch 4 hours a day showed 40% increased chance). But it wasn't even that, it was just that there were so many other things you can get a 1 year old to develop their brains and imagination. The thing that got me is she said the little girl doesn't even like tv.Whenever it's on, she glances over, then moves on! I tried to give her some other suggestions, and she said she never thought of them.
Am I crazy in thinking getting 1 year old her own tv and dvd player is just a little bit.... extravagant?
That sounds like laughing at her to me. And research is actually leaning towards ADD/ADHD being genetic.

When my dd was 3 my MIL got her a CD player. And I thought, that is the dumbest gift I ever saw. what 3 year old needs a CD player? But she played that radio in to the ground. I'm getting her an Ipod this year because she used it so much it broke. You just never know. Maybe she buys in to that whole Baby Einstein/Your Baby can Read stuff and wants her to have a TV for that, or maybe she's looking towards when she is older. Kids do grow up, you know. It's a very bad habit they have. I just think that laughing at someone's Christmas gift for their child is a bit mean spirited, no matter what it is.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:19 AM   #9
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:

I thought you were saying that someone wanted to buy a TV/DVD player that was a year old.

Anyway, to each his own but we don't have personal TVs/DVD players, more of a money and space issue though.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:20 AM   #10
SylvieP
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree its a family matter.
but how can a parent of a one year old now think of anything else to buy..... there are sooooo many toys out there. They have entire toy sections in stores or well entire toy stores. I don't get it.
We do have a DVD player in the car.... that makes traveling easier.