Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-08-2010, 09:09 AM   #21
emilyinmichigan
Registered Users
seller

Re: co-worker wants to buy 1 year old TV and DVD player!?!?

Her little one will probably get more enjoyment out the big box from the TV!

Advertisement

Old 11-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #22
this_mel_rocks
Registered Users
seller

To each their own.
Earn free money with SwagBucks
this_mel_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #23
norrahsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

then I guess I better just hand dd over to Amber right this instant, because we've got a (older model) 63 inch TV, dish, DVD player and PS2 in dd's room. She's 18 months old.

We also have a DVD player in the car and it gets tons of use.

I put on Happy Feet, MM Clubhouse, Handy Manny and she will play in her room instead of the living room. She doesn't just sit and watch TV all day, and even if she did, that's MY choice to make.
Lacee- Mommy to my girls Norrah(4/09) and Naomi(1/13) Expecting #3 (10/14)

Last edited by norrahsmommy; 11-08-2010 at 09:44 AM.
norrahsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:41 AM   #24
larken
Registered Users
seller

I'm going to have to agree with the OP here. I just don't see a reason for a one year-old to be watching t.v.; especially alone in their room with a t.v. My niece got a 37" flat screen in her room when she was 3. She's been in front of a television her entire life. I don't think it's a coincidence that she has zero imagination. Sure, it's a family issue, but so are a lot of other poor parenting decisions. It's sad that we don't know what to do with kids other than watch t.v. with them.
larken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:39 AM   #25
frenchie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Meh...her child, her money, her choice. We bought a TV/DVD player combo for our son for his 3rd b-day. I don't regret that choice.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #26
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

Both of my kiddos have tvs & dvd players in their rooms, DD is 2.5 and DS is 4.5. DS got his for Christmas right before his 2nd bday (in february), we bought DD's used this summer at a yard sale. They're both movie nuts & like to just have them on to listen to & dance around to the music, neither actually just sits there totally zoned out watching tv/dvds for hours at a time. DS's is hooked up to directv too *gasp* but pretty much everything but sprout, pbs, nickjr, and espn is locked out--we use that as our spare tv for when I want to watch one show in the living room & DH doesn't want anything to do with that show, he'll go chill in DS's room and watch stuff with him. DD's just has the dvd player and its wonderful for me to not have to watch/listen to princess & the frog and, most recently, Beetlejuice *another gasp because I actually let my 2.5 year old watch Beetlejuice * six times a day. Definitely don't regret it and I would totally do it again. Except I probably wouldn't get the disney/character type tvs, I'd probably just get a normal everyday type tv.

Last edited by smashncakes; 11-08-2010 at 11:20 AM.
smashncakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:47 AM   #27
isaacsmum
Registered Users

Nope, not crazy. I don't believe there's any reason for a 1 year old to be watching tv, and they certainly don't need their own personal tv - whether you're talking about it being in a bedroom, playroom, or even the car. On the other hand, I certainly wouldn't be getting into an argument with a co-worker over parenting choices. If you wanted to suggest a toy as a alternative, that's one thing, but I wouldn't comment any further than that. Absolutely I'd call that extravagant and - honestly - unhealthy. But you know what? It's her kid and her money. Hopefully in return she is respects the choices you make that may be different (and maybe even extravagant or ill-advised!) than hers.

Last edited by isaacsmum; 11-08-2010 at 11:51 AM.
isaacsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #28
motherofall35
Registered Users

I just think a tv is not a good thing for a 1 year old or any age for that matter. We watch a movie on family movie night every friday and that's it. My 5 year old does not watch tv during the week. There are too many other fun things to do with your baby or older kids.
motherofall35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:53 PM   #29
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

I can think of thousands of dollars worth of imaginative and creative toys, games, and art supplies I would love to get for my DD. Budget aside, my DH is always trying to talk me out of them because she's just as happy playing in the kitchen cabinets.

If your coworker needs help thinking of nifty gift ideas for toddlers, maybe mention some that you're thinking of for your kids. Right now I'm especially interested in a play kitchen for DD. Most kids loooooove stuff like that, and it grows and changes with them as they grow. How about a tricycle or other riding toy? A doll? A dollhouse? Lego? Simple musical instruments like a drum or a xylophone? Blocks or puzzles? A train set? Seriously, I could go on and on and on.

A CD player I can totally understand because kids love music and recorded stories. My DD loves playing songs on my iPod. She's starting to sing now and it is the best thing ever!

But I'm fairly anti-screen time for littles anyway, so that's my 2 cents. Everything I have read really discourages screen time because it seems to change the way little brains develop--and we don't have any reason to believe it's a change for the better. I really don't like my 2 year old to watch anything at all.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:25 AM   #30
jojoreta
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I probably wouldn't for a one year old. No make that I wouldn't** My dd just got a tv in her room a couple months ago. She is 3 almost 4. She watches mostly PBS, Sprout and Nick JR. She has become a BIG fan of dinosaurs (Dino Dan??) The show honestly is kind of lame but she has learned all sorts of different dino's from watching it. I can tell she is learning a thing or two from watching these shows because her vocab has soared! major + She usually just has the tv on and plays with her dolly's and tea set and we play waitress and do puzzles together while the tv is on so it's not like she is just consumed in the show. I honestly don't think her attention span is long enough

So no I personally wouldn't get a one year old a tv and dvd player. I think it is kind of wasteful. If I were you I would maybe bring parents mag in and just be looking at the cool toys in there and sort of just hint that there are some really cool toys in the mag that way you're suggesting something else but in a nice way
jojoreta is offline   Reply With Quote