Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #1
Jesskaren
Registered Users

Inner fabric for pocket diapers

I'm totally new to cloth diapers so I really don't know much more than the tidbits I picked up in a class last week. I found a great pattern to make one-size pocket diapers and am concerned about what to use for the inner fabric.

The instructions say to use PUL on the outside and then either microfleece or suedecloth for the inside. (I'm making the inserts from terry cloth) I like could only find regular fleece, so I bought the thinnest I could find, but from what I've read people seem to like the suedecloth for the inside but it seems way too thin to me to use alone and I don't want to find out it leaks after I've made them all. (baby won't be here until February for me to try them out) Is it too much if I put a layer of fleece in covered by the suedecloth?

Please help, I want to do this correctly! Thank you!!!

Advertisement

Jesskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
m&m&m
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Inner fabric for pocket diapers

the suedecloth/microfleece is only to provide a "stay dry" layer, so you want it to be thin. You will need an actual "absorbant" material inside the pocket diapers. The urine passes through the "stay-dry" layer and is pulled to the absorbant material which leaves baby's bottom feeling dryer than just sitting in wet cotton.
m&m&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
Jesskaren
Registered Users

Thank you so much, that is immensely helpful!
Jesskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

I have used both and I love both suedecloth and fleece! I think the suedecloth tends to hold up better and look the best after years of use, and fleece gets pilly, but its still soft and works great. Fleece stains less...its a toss up for me. Maybe make one with each and see what you like best!
Old 11-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have made my own diapers and inserts. You can use for the inner layer microsuede. Joanne's brand name is Aveo(?) suede and Hancock's is buttersuede. As a pp said, you want the inner layer to be thin and permiable.

Use ball point needles (or univerisal). I found the PUL to be a bit "sticky" when sewing it. So I was constantly flipping it to the top side (I think) to sew it. It's easy to work with otherwise.

I like kidsinthegarden.com as a resource for getting PUL. Lots of color choices and less expensive than other sites.

On the issue of inserts -- I have made them, but think buying them is a better use of time and money. The inserts (or doublers) I made do not compare to ones I have purchased. If microfiber is your thing, you can find them cheap enough at CottonBabies or other sites. I have one Joey hemp insert which seems to perform very well too.

Cheers!
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

PS - Avoid PUL prints. The PUL I got that was printed was so cute but didn't work -- damp and leaky. I'm not sure if it was because it was a cotton that had been laminated.

One other trick -- get a point turner. It is $3 or 4 well spent. The PUL is hard to get good corners on otherwise
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote