Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-10-2007, 01:29 PM   #1
uk2usa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
long Plane Journey with toddler help...

We're off to the UK in a couple of weeks and it's an 8 hour journey (+ 2 more hours in the car when we get there!)
Any tips on air travel activities for a 2.5 yr old and quiet toys for a 10 month old...?

What gets you through long car/plane rides?

It's a night flight on the way there, so hopefully both kids will sleep but our trip home is during the day...

Advertisement

uk2usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 01:37 PM   #2
CourtneyinAlaska
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: long Plane Journey with toddler help...

We've made several long cross country trips with our little one. Favorite books were a hit. We might have to read the same book 20 times during a 6hr flight but it works. Nursing is always a hit if that is in your arsenal.

Our ped told us to take a sippy of chammomile tea. I was doubtful but our 18mo took it just fine. It "encouraged" him to be calm, kwim?
Old 03-10-2007, 02:31 PM   #3
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did the UK/US trip multiple times when older Ds was an infant, till he started Kindergarten. I went well prepared on the advice of other moms who had done it before me.
I counted out how many diapers I'd need normally for the number of hours till I got to moms, then doubled it for delays (and we had them too!)
I also packed at least a dozen small toys wrapped in paper, and when I could see him starting to get wild, I'd get him a toy to unwrap. He knew nothing about the toys being there and played for hours
(I took them away and re wrapped for the return trip, and added extras from that cool toy store in UK Learning centre or something)
I carried bottled water for Ds and an extra sippy incase of loss. Lots of wipes, and a few wet washcloths with a bit of babywash on them in a ziplock. Dry snacks like oatmeal squares, rice cakes, whatever else they like were a great thing. On the late flight we caught a few times (6pm from San Francisco) Ds would be ready to fall asleep before the meals came out, so he missed dinner I also ordered a kid meal, and carried a light small blanket for sleeping.
I used baby reins at the airport, so he could stretch his legs.
I packed it all in a back pack with lots of pockets for me to carry, while leaving my hands free to see to kids.
One thing I learned fast, carry your own bottle of decongestant (I used dimetapp) to UK and back.
I found I needed it for him when he got really stuffy when visiting UK, I couldn't get any at Boots, and so ended up making a doctor visit to get him some (big tadoo now they changed the rules and you can't get free care anymore, one visit cost us nearly $100 when Ds got sick). So he could fly home without ear pain (he was prone to ear infection poor kid)
Anyway good luck, sorry that was so long, don't forget your car seat
Old 03-10-2007, 08:53 PM   #4
uk2usa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love the idea of wrapping some toys. I will try that! And snacks too...

Quote:
One thing I learned fast, carry your own bottle of decongestant (I used dimetapp) to UK and back.
I found I needed it for him when he got really stuffy when visiting UK, I couldn't get any at Boots, and so ended up making a doctor visit to get him some (big tadoo now they changed the rules and you can't get free care anymore, one visit cost us nearly $100 when Ds got sick). So he could fly home without ear pain (he was prone to ear infection poor kid)
I've never heard that!! I'm a citizen, so hopefully I won't have that problem.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:13 PM   #5
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

dont take bottled water though. if he is FF yeah you can take that and baby food. that is allowed
i already put somet hings i took in another post but here go again: playdoh, books, crayons, coloring books, ((oh david got a leapster so that was pretty neat, i got him a new cartridge and he was happy for 4+hrs))
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:28 PM   #6
WestCoastBuckeye
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Older DC:
Magna doodle with the fancy magnets, video now JR (or a personal dvd player) Leap pad's, sticky notes and crayons
Younger DC:
anything new (or anything old taken away for a few weeks I wouldn't worry about quiet since planes are really noisy.
I would take your tylenol, dimetap ect.ce p

Heather , to Ryan (9-2-000) my hero is home-praying for recovery, and mom to Garrett (11-29-02) & Alex (5-29-06)
WestCoastBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:28 PM   #7
uk2usa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

do the leap pad toys come with a headset adapter?
~I know it's noisey on the flight anyway, but I can guarantee that some old guy will complain about an electronic toy.

Are they good for a 2.5 year old to play independently with?

What kind do you recommend?
Old 03-11-2007, 04:17 PM   #8
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

for 2.5 maybe my first leappad??
we have the leapster but its for 4-10 yrs old. and you can bearly hear it though as planes as soo nosy so i wouldnt worry
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:29 PM   #9
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk2usa View Post
I love the idea of wrapping some toys. I will try that! And snacks too...

I've never heard that!! I'm a citizen, so hopefully I won't have that problem.
We are citizens too, even the kids. But 'cause we are not longer registered with a doctor we couldn't get free care. Now if you go to the emergency room or the doctors office, your home area is billed for your care. We have no home area there or doctor.
Now I make sure that our Blue cross covers us while we are there. The local private hospital would provide our care seeing that they are a prefered providor.
I still have my national health card and older Ds and dh too, the only ones with out are the younger two, they have never lived there. Even though they are brits. We had to pay out of pocket for Ds's prescription and doctor visit.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:31 PM   #10
uk2usa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
We are citizens too, even the kids. But 'cause we are not longer registered with a doctor we couldn't get free care. Now if you go to the emergency room or the doctors office, your home area is billed for your care. We have no home area there or doctor.
Now I make sure that our Blue cross covers us while we are there. The local private hospital would provide our care seeing that they are a prefered providor.
I still have my national health card and older Ds and dh too, the only ones with out are the younger two, they have never lived there. Even though they are brits. We had to pay out of pocket for Ds's prescription and doctor visit.
That's good to know...thanks...
PMing you...