Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-11-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
megaroosdesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

ECING HELP

Ok ladies my little guy will be 5 months the 23rd of this month. For the last two months we have been ecing. This is what we do so far. I take him to the potty when we change diapers, before feeding, before bedtime and after he wakes. I can usually get him to go no problem. He does great with poos and I have only had to change two poo diapers since about two months. I do not have a book (though I am looking, checked the library and nothing, amazon has some for like $40.00 so I am still looking). If you have a specific book that helped you that would be great. Please pass on the name. My question is this.I have watched my LG and I know when he has went in his diaper because of his actions but not before. I really want to get him out of his diapers altogether but don't know how to proceed. I do change him quit a bit as he has very sensitive skin and as soon as I know he went he is changed and then set on the potty. I also would like to know about night time as this is our real challenge right now. I still change him 5 to 7 times a night. If I don't he get a rash. He does sleep through the changes now most of the time. But I really need to get some sleep and honestly he really needs to be changed more than that as he still gets a rash occasionally. My husband wants to go to posies at night. Any help would be great!

Advertisement

megaroosdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
Sakari
Registered Users

Re: ECING HELP

Diaper Free Baby by Christine Gros-Loh I have bought two at different time off amazon for like $5.

To get that association of the need to go before it's happened - I used to sign as we walked to the potty. Then we'd make the cue sound when she actually went. Or when I cued her to go. But the talking about it, and doing the ASL sign for "toilet" we did BEFORE she was actually eliminating. I kinda did it on accident, but I really think it helped!!

As for nighttime - you could do sposies (seventh generation so your babe's bum isn't sitting in a bunch of chemicals.) OR, if you have a well established cue sound, you should be able to potty him in the night just like you do in the daytime. Even if he's sleeping, hold him over the toilet and say pssssss and he'll probably go! Do you co-sleep? How do you wake up 5-7 times a night to change him? Does he cry out? If so, use that stirring in bed as your cue that he may need to eliminate and try offering it before he uses his diaper. After a few nights, if he knows you'll be there to help him use the toilet - he may stop going in his diaper as much. He'll trust that you'll be there! Babies can hold it, even in their sleep, amazingly long, amazingly young sometimes!! Actually there's some bodily function that helps us not pee while we're sleeping, so the more we can tell his body - YES! I'll pay attention to you! The more that function will continue to work and keep him dry(er) at night.

Sorry to hear about the rash! Do his dipes need to be stripped maybe?? IDK. Good luck!!

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
megaroosdesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have stripped his diapers recently. I do co-sleep. He nurses often also at night which I am sure is contributing to his need to pee. I did try to use posies that night and he still woke up with the red little rash. I am at my wits ends with this rash. Nothing seems to help. I also know that it is not yeast as we have went down that road before and even that medication did not help. I usually just change him every time he eats. Maybe I will try taking him to the toilet also. He never really cries while he is in our bed. Before I get to bed he does about every hour. He goes down for the night at or around 7 and I am usually in bed around 9. He sleeps in his bed untill he wakes up and I am in bed at which time I put in my bed. While in his bed he wakes every hour or so. I usually just pick him up and hold him for a couple minutes as which time I can lay him back down. Some nights he want to nurse so we do. Once he gets in bed with me he usually nurses every two hours. He lets me know he wants to nurse by moving around with his mouth open and searching for me. When he is not hungry he will just turn his bed. Usually after we nurse I change his diaper also I change him when he wakes in his bed.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 11-13-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
Selene
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi mama
Sorry about that nasty rash...have you tried some "naked time?" During the day you could just let him lit on a piddle pad or some prefolds...this will help air things out and hopefully help with that rash. Also, it is a good time to watch his patterns and signals and start to cue him. Makes it really easy to hold him over the potty when he starts to go too! You can dress him in a tee and baby leg warmers if it's cold.
I second "Diaper Free Baby" as a great resource. You might also want to check out the video "Potty Whispering." It was very helpful for me to see EC in action and there is quite a bit of info on nighttime EC that you may find helpful.
Good luck!
Old 11-13-2010, 10:54 PM   #5
Sakari
Registered Users

I would totally try pottying him at night. I mean, you're getting up to change his diaper anyway! When he wakes in his own bed, try pottying him and then putting him back to sleep (you could have a little potty right in there with you so you don't have to carry him thru the whole house)

Having a well established cue sound will really help when he's drowsy.

You could try laying him down without a dipe even, to try to get rid of that rash. Just lay him on a pile of blankets or prefolds (receiving blanket size is nice, IMO) and then if he wets, you can just remove the wet stuff and deal with laundry in the morning. OR, you can do the opposite and cover the wet stuff with another blanket or two - and deal with laundry in the morning! Especially since he switches beds.... when DD was about 9-10 months old I was working in the evenings, so DH put her to bed. Without a diaper! I thought he was crazy - but I wasn't home, so I couldn't very well tell him not to. Anyway, for those two months she went to bed for the first few hours every night without a diaper and NEVER wet the bed! I would put a diaper on her when I got home and joined her in bed

I hope you can figure out a way to get rid of that rash poor guy!!

Old 11-15-2010, 04:21 PM   #6
megaroosdesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

Tried the toilet last night when he woke up in our bed at 5 am. He was squirmy and I thought that maybe he had to go as he had just ate. It really went bad. He did not want to sit on the toilet and when I did get him on there he cried. Which led him to wake up completely. Needless to say I was up with a crying baby(first time for the crying at night) and this led to Dh waking up as well as all the other children. They all did get to go back to sleep. While me and little one walked the halls. I finely got him back to sleep by putting him in his swing. But it was to late for me. O'well we will try it agian another evening. In the mean time I am going to try and find a good book.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:03 PM   #7
Sakari
Registered Users

Ahhhhhh! I'm so sorry it went so badly! But don't give up. Here are some other ideas to try:

* Nurse while offering the potty (sounds impossible, but it's not!)
* if he bawks - stop!
* or change the location, potties can be cold at night.
* potty first, then nurse back to sleep
* have him diaperless (with the laundry in the morning options) and don't worry about getting to the toilet at all, just let him have a night or two of being dry - so he gets to see what that's like! :

GL!

Old 11-20-2010, 09:47 PM   #8
megaroosdesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ok Ladies This is what seems to be working. I am letting him go awhile with out a diaper in the day and some at night. Am not using any covers at all except fleece and wool. No PUL which my husband seems to think may have been making his bottom sweat and causing some of the irritation. NO rash for 5 days! I have got it down to 3 diapers changes during the night. 7 ,10 or 11, 2 and 3 and then agian at about 5. Then I leave him diaper free for a couple hours or with just a light cloth diaper no cover untill he wakes at 7 or 7:30. I know it still seems like alot but it is getting better! We start out with no diaper or cloth, then go to a disposible, agian back to a cloth or diaper free! Hopefully we can just go back to our cloth after these posies are gone.

Thanks so much for all your help!
Old 11-20-2010, 10:43 PM   #9
Sakari
Registered Users

That sounds much better! NO RASH!!!! That's great! I"m so glad things are looking up! Keep up the awesome work, mama!

Old 11-27-2010, 07:34 PM   #10
megaroosdesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

For the last 4 days we have not been using sposies. Just cloth and diaper free. He has been doing great. Today he woke up with a little redness around his little belly button but other than that we are doing great! Hope it keeps up. I went yesterday and got some felt. I am making little fleece bags so he can sleep diaper free with out the worry of getting the sheet wet. My Dh loves the idea. Actually got to use one last night and it was great! I have figured out that for the most part he pees when he gets up to nurse so I can just slip a prefold in over him and then take it out when he goes! Thanks agian ladies for all the help!