Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-12-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
Selene
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Any interest in a "New to EC" chat thread?

Hi mamas
Seems like there are several others on this forum that are pretty new to EC too. I thought it might be nice to have a place to share and ask newbie questions (so all thoe that are experienced ECers can feel free to pop in too!). I don't really get to talk to anyone IRL about ECing which is a bummer because I am super excited about it!
We started EC with DS a couple of weeks ago and so far it's going great (knocking on wood here) Things started off fairly slowly with a disasterous naked time experience and lots of sitting on the BBLP and just hanging out. I was finally able to do some cueing when DS was in the bath (we have a primo tub where he is reclined and so it was the one time I caould really catch him peeing!). After a few cues and some good timing we had several catches and lately he seems to have really caught on. He will usually go right away now on the potty when I cue and he seems to be staying dry more...maybe holding it a little since he knows he will have a pottytunity soon? I gave up on trying to watch DS for signals which has actually lead to more catches since I just go with intuition and timing and lots of pottytunities now which works better for us. DS would only signal while "in the act" I just haven't seen any reliable indicator beforehand.

I am so amazed at my little guy's ability to learn and our deeper level of communication. Hooray for EC! I hope you other newbies have some successes to share as well!

Advertisement

Old 11-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
Fleece Be With You
Registered Users
OperaDiva
seller

Re: Any interest in a "New to EC" chat thread?

I think that's a fantastic idea! I will come by and chat in a bit
Jessica, wife to L (8-5-05) Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, CDing, ECing, babywearing Mama to H (9-18-09), my miracle baby! TTC #2!
I make and sell Fleece side-snap ConvertoTrainers! WAHM page Hyenacart Facebook Page
My Ovulation Chart
Fleece Be With You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #3
niftysmith
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think a new to EC chat would be great.

I feel ya on the not having too many to talk to about EC. I think the people DH and I have told all look at us like we're weird. I don't mind. People looked at us like we were crazy when we went with cloth diapers—EC is the next logical step to me.

It's been a couple of weeks for us, too. DS is going to be eight months (omgwheredidthetimego?) next week, so we're on the later start track. We're mostly laid back, part time EC'ing right now. DH is supportive and currently a SAHD, but he hasn't really been able to catch onto baby Elisha's cues like I have. So, while I'm at work, DS is just in diapers.

I give him lots of naked time in the morning and when I come home. We've had a couple of misses, but just pee. I try to keep him in a coverless diaper whenever I know I'm going to be busy.

We've been trying to just have fun with it, though I will admit I am really excited to catch poos on the potty. I've missed those a few times and get so sad. Less mess is so much happier, and I love that we have another way of communicating with each other. He's finally starting to pick up on cue sounds (when I remember to make a sound), so it's getting exciting.

freelance graphic designer open for business - my portfolio | my etsy
niftysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:20 PM   #4
Selene
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DH doesn't get as many catches as I do either. He's also a SAHD and he tries but usually just has one catch while I'm at work. Which is weird because normally he is the one who is more tuned in to DS's cues about being tired or hungry, etc. DH is very supportive though and so amazed that DS goes in the potty. He tells everyone about it!

Nifty, I saw on your other thread that your DS is a "ninja pooper" too. It is so hard to catch my guy's poops even though he is fairly consistant with the time. He will just be sitting there playing and then...bam! Did you come up with any solutions for this?
Old 11-15-2010, 07:02 AM   #5
Sakari
Registered Users

Hi! I love this idea! I'm not "new to EC" but I thought I'd pop in and say hi anyway. and wish you all so much fun in your EC journey! It's soooooo worth it.

I'm just starting to babysit a friend's 11mo one day a week and I am having a terrible time leaving her diaper on!

I hear you on not having many people to talk to about EC IRL. and I talking about it, so feel free to pm me anytime! I'll probably pop in and out of this thread, too -

Happy Pottying!

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:14 AM   #6
niftysmith
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selene View Post
My DH doesn't get as many catches as I do either. He's also a SAHD and he tries but usually just has one catch while I'm at work. Which is weird because normally he is the one who is more tuned in to DS's cues about being tired or hungry, etc. DH is very supportive though and so amazed that DS goes in the potty. He tells everyone about it!

Nifty, I saw on your other thread that your DS is a "ninja pooper" too. It is so hard to catch my guy's poops even though he is fairly consistant with the time. He will just be sitting there playing and then...bam! Did you come up with any solutions for this?
DH was the first to tell people about using the potty, too. The Sunday after we bought our BBLP, he told his mom and some friends at church. I wasn't going to say anything, but he was so excited that Elisha pooped on the potty. I was like, "Thanks, honey. Now everyone's really going to stare at us like we're crazier than before." He was excited, but he says it's hard to stay on top of things while he's at home. I think for me, it gives me more time with Elisha since I'm working, so I like it. DH is pretty in tune with DS, especially when he's tired, but I think he's still a little nervous to give potty time a try on his own ... even if he changes cloth diapers like a pro.

I've started making sure I cue when Eli looks like he's pooping, even if I don't get him to the potty on time. I gave in and started little grunts. I also say poop in Japanese (unchi or un-un) because I think it's more cute than saying poop.

As far as getting the drop on the ninja poops ... I don't have a solution yet. I did catch 3 out of 4 this weekend, so I was pretty proud. One happened while we were at a friends' house, so there wasn't much I could do. He just got REALLY LOUD all the sudden and started patting me eagerly. Then, I got a whiff and was like, "Ooooh." So, he's good at cuing me AFTER the fact. We're working in letting me know before ...

freelance graphic designer open for business - my portfolio | my etsy
niftysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
Sakari
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by niftysmith View Post
DH was the first to tell people about using the potty, too. The Sunday after we bought our BBLP, he told his mom and some friends at church. I wasn't going to say anything, but he was so excited that Elisha pooped on the potty. I was like, "Thanks, honey. Now everyone's really going to stare at us like we're crazier than before." He was excited, but he says it's hard to stay on top of things while he's at home. I think for me, it gives me more time with Elisha since I'm working, so I like it. DH is pretty in tune with DS, especially when he's tired, but I think he's still a little nervous to give potty time a try on his own ... even if he changes cloth diapers like a pro.

I've started making sure I cue when Eli looks like he's pooping, even if I don't get him to the potty on time. I gave in and started little grunts. I also say poop in Japanese (unchi or un-un) because I think it's more cute than saying poop.

As far as getting the drop on the ninja poops ... I don't have a solution yet. I did catch 3 out of 4 this weekend, so I was pretty proud. One happened while we were at a friends' house, so there wasn't much I could do. He just got REALLY LOUD all the sudden and started patting me eagerly. Then, I got a whiff and was like, "Ooooh." So, he's good at cuing me AFTER the fact. We're working in letting me know before ...
My DH is/was the same!! As far as telling people before I was ready! But now it's really cute to hear him go on and on to people about it.

I'm babysitting today and I just can't keep the diaper on! I've found she doesn't pee when I'm holding her though (which is quite common with a lot of babies) so every so often I set her down (she LOVES to be held, and especially today cuz she's sick) on a diaper changing pad - and in a few moments she pees! We don't have a cue established yet, but this seems like a pretty easy way to get there!

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:33 AM   #8
Fleece Be With You
Registered Users
OperaDiva
seller

Man, I WISH DH had been excited enough about it to tell people. When he told people, it was always more in a "my crazy wife is doing something even crazier now" way

We have been doing a lot of naked time lately, with minimal success, but I think we're finally zoning in on the issue. I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure he still doesn't like sitting to pee, so he stands in random spots in the living room (or kitchen). He still pees sometimes while nursing, but he usually gets pretty quiet right before, so I need to catch on a little quicker. I've been trying some timing today, with a little more success, but not great yet.
Jessica, wife to L (8-5-05) Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, CDing, ECing, babywearing Mama to H (9-18-09), my miracle baby! TTC #2!
I make and sell Fleece side-snap ConvertoTrainers! WAHM page Hyenacart Facebook Page
My Ovulation Chart
Fleece Be With You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:05 PM   #9
lvnurs9
Registered Users
seller

I'm interested!
Old 11-15-2010, 11:45 PM   #10
Selene
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't worry Sakari, it doesn't have to be a newbies only thread, you can totally pop in as much as you like! That's great about the LO you are babysitting...is your friend interested in ECing her at all? That would be so cool to convert someone IRL. My BFF is preggers with her first and I mentioned ECing to her and I thought she would think it was nuts (Like sh thinks CDing is, for example!) but she was really interested! I'm going to let her and her DH the POtty Whispering video and maybe have Henry demonstrate for her

I think I will try to talk DH into trying the in arms thing with DS. I have only ever used the BBLP with him...he is too heavy for me to hold like that for long! I would like it if he could go in that position though for when we are out and about. It's funny even though we just started EC I have a hard time not giving him pottytunities when we are out. Like it just seems wrong to make him use his diaper...not that conventional diapeing is wrong in general it's just that now he is getting used to going in a potty and being dry and I want to give him that chance and not just be like, "Soory, kiddo I'm too busy right now." And today MIL watched hime and she didn't want to try putting him on the potty at all and then when I got home it felt like our routine was all off...no catch after his nap which is usually a given, etc. Oh well, tomorrow is another day!

About ninja poops...I only do the "psss" cue for both. Maybe I need to do a different cue for poops? It would just be hard to teach because I hardly ever catch one!