Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-16-2010, 01:01 AM   #11
A&EsMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Any interest in a "New to EC" chat thread?

hello, i love the idea of this thread. i've been ecing for almost three weeks my ds is 6wks. most of my irl friends thinks i have lost my mind for putting him on the potty. we've had great sucess as it has pretty much ended poopy diapers for us. dh of course loves this and has been bragging to his friends about this.

Advertisement

A&EsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:02 PM   #12
Sakari
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selene View Post
Don't worry Sakari, it doesn't have to be a newbies only thread, you can totally pop in as much as you like! That's great about the LO you are babysitting...is your friend interested in ECing her at all? That would be so cool to convert someone IRL. My BFF is preggers with her first and I mentioned ECing to her and I thought she would think it was nuts (Like sh thinks CDing is, for example!) but she was really interested! I'm going to let her and her DH the POtty Whispering video and maybe have Henry demonstrate for her

I think I will try to talk DH into trying the in arms thing with DS. I have only ever used the BBLP with him...he is too heavy for me to hold like that for long! I would like it if he could go in that position though for when we are out and about. It's funny even though we just started EC I have a hard time not giving him pottytunities when we are out. Like it just seems wrong to make him use his diaper...not that conventional diapeing is wrong in general it's just that now he is getting used to going in a potty and being dry and I want to give him that chance and not just be like, "Soory, kiddo I'm too busy right now." And today MIL watched hime and she didn't want to try putting him on the potty at all and then when I got home it felt like our routine was all off...no catch after his nap which is usually a given, etc. Oh well, tomorrow is another day!

About ninja poops...I only do the "psss" cue for both. Maybe I need to do a different cue for poops? It would just be hard to teach because I hardly ever catch one!
aww thanks!

I'm not sure if she's interested or not. I did bring it up subtly today and she seemed interested. So maybe!!! and I just met someone the other day who is planning on ECing her new baby when it comes, but doesn't know anyone else IRL who did... until me! and many other people she knows think she's nuts - so I'm hoping she'll let me help her and support her along the way I would love that!

I'm totally with ya on wanting to offer the potty no matter where we are - I was the same when DD was younger, and now that's really why I even started doing anything with Little B. - I didn't intend to, but I just couldn't leave a diaper on without checking it every 3 seconds because I didn't want her sitting in a wet dipe! It turned out to be much less stressful on both of us if she just didn't wear one Since that happened two days/times in a row I decided I better at least mention it to her mom in case she is opposed to the idea.... she seemed interested, so I think I'm okay so far!

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:25 PM   #13
Selene
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi A&E's mommy...welcome! That's so awesome that you are ECing with a newborn. I kinda wish I had known about EC early on but I'm just glad I know now. And OMG I can't believe you are in Lake County!! I grew up there! Wow, it's not too often I run across anyone who has heard of Kelseyville! Where in LC are you?
I think you will end up converting little B's mama, Sakari. When people really see EC in action and realize that poopy diapers don't have to be dealt with as often (or at all) it's a pretty easy sell!
DH nixed the in arms thing. Oh well, maybe I will give it a go soon. I'm just kinda scared about the spray factor.
DS is teething like crazy and has been pretty miserable. It's been hard to get any catches today...he is just not himself.
Got some Ecapants off FSOT today. Can't wait to try them. Yay for fluffy mail!
Old 11-17-2010, 04:29 PM   #14
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

oOoo, me! me! I have wanted to ec from the beginning & when i would hear my son poop, i would make the "puh, puh" sound & "psssss" if he happened to pee naked. I couldn't quite start that early though.
Anyway, the past 2 days (he is 5 1/2 months old) I have held him over the sink a few times a day saying, "psss" with the water trickling. He just looked in the big mirror and laughed and laughed. Tonight, though, I took him in and he started peeing (I hadn't taken off his babylegs cuz I didn't think he'd go) he looked surprised and stopped mid-stream but I said, "good job psssss" and he finished . Then I did lots of "yays!!" and rinsed the sink. He doesn't always cue even though I have been looking for cues from day one and he grunts even with gas, so I am starting slow. We have an IKEA potty (couldn't afford the BBLP one) and I had it on the bed the other day and when I thought he was gonna poo I put him on it and he freaked. So, we shall take it one step at a time!
Old 11-18-2010, 09:44 AM   #15
niftysmith
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleece Be With You View Post
Man, I WISH DH had been excited enough about it to tell people. When he told people, it was always more in a "my crazy wife is doing something even crazier now" way

We have been doing a lot of naked time lately, with minimal success, but I think we're finally zoning in on the issue. I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure he still doesn't like sitting to pee, so he stands in random spots in the living room (or kitchen). He still pees sometimes while nursing, but he usually gets pretty quiet right before, so I need to catch on a little quicker. I've been trying some timing today, with a little more success, but not great yet.

Yeah. I've been trying to do more naked time when I'm home and we've had more misses. He's so active now (he'll be 8 mos on Saturday ) that I think sometimes he doesn't want to stop and pee. Or, if he does stop to pee, he crawls AWAY from what he was doing, pees, and then gets really loud about it. He sometimes heads in the direction of the bathroom (upstairs or downstairs), but other times, he just goes and looks like he's doing something else away from his toys.

I need to trust my gut more. Sometimes I tell myself, "Oh, he's just wanting to play over thereŚwoops."

I did catch a lot of poops this week. He even woke up at 1am to poop. I wasn't thrilled. Neither was he. But he HAD to go. So, that was an interesting experience.

I think he'd like to pee standing up, but I'm too chicken. Any tips?

freelance graphic designer open for business - my portfolio | my etsy
niftysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:33 PM   #16
panacea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm interested, but don't know anything about ECing. I've heard of it, but haven't done any research yet and DS is 13.5 months. Is it too late to start?
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:11 PM   #17
Selene
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like you are off to a good start bluedaisy...have you tried just letting your DS sit and hang out on his potty to get him used to it? He could even sit with his clothes on if he gets upset just to practice. It might be too cold? I'm getting one of those fleece potty covers to help with th e cold thing.
Nifty, I am hoping to keep my DS sitting to pee til he's about 4 or so and he can aim properly But I know a lot of boys like it. I think I've seen pics of people holding boys under the arms to help them pee standing in the shower or tub...
Panacea, I thik that you can totally still start at 13.5 months. You may just need to adjust tactics. Read the stickys on this forum to get some good info and the book "Diaper Free Baby" by C. Gross-Loh (I got a copy from the library) which has things broken down by ages so you can go to the part for older babies. Also, I liked "Diaper Free Before 3" by Jill Lecovik although it's not strictly an EC book, more of an early pottying book. It's more geared for ages 6 months +
Old 11-18-2010, 10:48 PM   #18
burgler
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Would love to join a thread for newbies. We are due in March and I am hoping to start from the get go!
Old 11-19-2010, 05:00 PM   #19
Selene
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Whoo hoo!!!!!! Just got home from work and caught a poo!
So exciting! Seriously, we have been so successful with pees but poops are still fairly elusive. I made a "puh puh puh" cue while he pooped, which he thought was funny. I am reading "Diaper Free: Natural Infant Hygiene" by Ingid Bauer and there was a part that talks about just focusing on your intuition and it worked! The thought, "Time for the potty" just popped into my head and I took him even though DH said he just caught a big pee. It's ridiculous how stoked I am!
Anyway...hi, burgler. How cool that you are already looking into EC. How did you decide to EC your baby on the way?
Old 11-20-2010, 07:15 AM   #20
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Thanks selene! I caught 4 pees that 1st day (well one was on my lap, but i saw him start so i made the sound) and 2 the next. Yesterday I just caught one....I sat him on the potty a LOT bc he hadn't pooped so I was trying to catch it. But his brothers were all here (I have joint custody of his olders) so he gets sooooo excited and I sat him on it on the floor and he kept rocking himself forward to stand up. I think by waiting til he could sit, I would have made it easier on myself doing it earlier, bc now he wants to GO! But, this am, I caught a poo! He is pretty obvious when he does it (at least in the am) and he was grunting on the bed, so I took his diap off (which wasn't very wet!) and ran and got the ikea potty. I sat him on it on the bed, and he started playing on my laptop and pooped and peed! He will sit there a long time if the computer is in front of him
I guess my thing is that I get so like "all or nothing" and get all nervous and put him on there ALL the time. I don't want him to get sick of it....honestly, I remember this same feeling PL my older kids (around 2-3yrs old) I would keep rushing them to the potty like every 10 min for days. Then I relaxed. I know for now, I won't keep him diaper-free when his brothers are all here and passing him around and when we are out. I will keep cueing him but does anyone just not cue and put their babes on the potty and the babies just make the connection? (like they get taken off when they are done going potty?).
I love the idea of a potty cozy. I was thinking the same thing and trying to figure out how to make a cheap one.