Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-14-2010, 08:25 AM   #11
Kabloona
Registered Users
seller

Re: Pain 3 1/2 weeks in, getting discouraged :(

your post brings back memories. breastfeeding my first dd, two years ago, was exactly the same. It gets easier.

I wore a nipple shield until dd was 6 weeks old, or for six weeks in total, I can't remember which. Give your nipples time to heal. DD went back to my breast with a little effort. I think it took a day or two for her to be really comfortable with the switch. But, it was worth it. By then, my nipples were healed and it didn't hurt.

Reading the La Leche League website really helped me. I read an article about how we eat hamburgers and how a breast in baby's mouth needs to be the same. Basically, when you eat a hamburger, you squish it, then tilt it up to the roof of your mouth. The bottom bun is eaten more than the top. Baby needs the same form on your breast.

The good news: breastfeeding gets easy and painless. By 4 months, baby can hold its own head and participates more. By six months, baby can put your nipple into its mouth. And, nursing baby #2 is painless.

Good luck.

Advertisement

Kabloona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:00 PM   #12
*~Melissa~*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you all so much for the advice and support! It really helps. And thank you for making me feel okay about using the shield if I need it. What set me off about the shield was that someone saw me using it and said "oh, so you are having problems". IDK if it is my postpartum emotional state, but her saying that made me feel like a failure every time I used it. Thanks so much for making me feel better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethan_77 View Post
My dd had a high palate, and I used a modified football hold that made all the difference for us. I'll explain it here in case it is helpful for you two, even if her palate is only slightly high.

I started by positioning her in a traditional football hold, but placed my hand behind her head and neck and raised her into a sitting upright position while still in a mostly football position. I often had pillows under her bum to raise her up a bit. From there I got a nice latch; the pressure was off my nipples a bit in the first time I nursed like that, then I started healing. My dd's mouth grew as she aged, and it got better. I also recall reading about asymmetrical latch--can anyone attest to that? Those first weeks were so hard, hang in there.
I tried this and it helped with the pain. Thank you!
Reesie's Ribbons and Blooms -hair accessories for your princess!
*~Melissa~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:29 PM   #13
mommy2twins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My IBCLC recommended something called MediHoney......I had VERY BADLY damaged nipples due to a bad pump/philange. This stuff cleared up what I had been treating with all the things you tried for 6 months in one week.
AprilSAHM to my fab twin girls (3/07)Maddison and Cameryn Grace , and Samuel born 1/10 by an amazing waterbirth using hypnobabies, Zander born 3/12 a beautiful home water birth using Hypnobabies both fully intact non vaxing,ing, , and wife to my awesome high school sweet heart of 12 years
***HYPNOBABIES CHILDBIRTH HYPNOSIS INSTRUCTOR- St. Louis, MO!***
mommy2twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:00 AM   #14
shorkiegirl
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Melissa~* View Post
IDK if it is my postpartum emotional state, but her saying that made me feel like a failure every time I used it. Thanks so much for making me feel better.
mama...I had the same issues but when you see that she is getting a good meal with the shield, all your doubts disappear. Once your nipple pain subsides a bit, try starting a session with the shield and then taking it off half way through. This is exactly how I eventually got my LO to latch. She was mostly satiated so not ravenous and had the patience to endure several attempts at proper latching. One day, (around 5 weeks) I noticed that it hurt substantially less and by 7 weeks or so, there was no pain anymore. You will get there!
Old 11-23-2010, 10:08 AM   #15
aerobebe1421
Registered Users
seller

Aww, Melissa!!! I didn't know you had your little girl! Goes to show how horrible of a stalker I am... She is gorgeous!! Congratulations!!

Now, on to your question...

It DOES get better. The first 5 weeks of nursing Carter were complete and total torture. He was nicknamed Barracuda by one of his nurses when he was in the SCN. I ended up having to use the shield because it hurt way too much. He was a very eager nurser and had a very strong suck as well. The shield sucks, I'm not going to lie. It's messy, inconvenient, can hinder supply, and create a little faux nipple lover. I would stick with it though. Let your nipples heal for a good week or two, and then try to wean her off of using the shield. Go slowly. Take it away for one nursing, then the next day two, etc. I actually would use the shield for the beginning of the nursing session, when he was more "aggressive" at eating, and then take it away after about 5 mins. It took me a little bit over a week to completely wean him off of the shield. He is an awesome nurser now! Just hang in there. Give it time. It's sooo worth it!
expecting someone new 11.14
aerobebe1421 is offline   Reply With Quote