Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-14-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
Fleece Be With You
Registered Users
OperaDiva
seller

Moving a toddler when they go in the wrong spot?

Ok, I'm pretty sure this is a holdover from the time I house trained a dog, but does anyone else move their child to a potty when they start to go in the wrong place? I know Hunter isn't really old enough to go from EC to fully trained (14 months this week), but I really think he's smart enough to know not to pee on the floor So, when he starts to pee on the floor during naked time, I move him to the potty (gently, no scolding or saying no, I just say "pee pee goes in the potty").

Anyone else do this? Could it have potentially negative side effects I don't see?

Advertisement

Jessica, wife to L (8-5-05) Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, CDing, ECing, babywearing Mama to H (9-18-09), my miracle baby! TTC #2!
I make and sell Fleece side-snap ConvertoTrainers! WAHM page Hyenacart Facebook Page
My Ovulation Chart
Fleece Be With You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:52 PM   #2
Sakari
Registered Users

Re: Moving a toddler when they go in the wrong spot?

Sounds fine to me! and don't think he's too young to be out of diapers. He's not!

The only negative I can see would be if it was too disruptive or rushed or agitated - ya know? If it's calm and matter-of-fact, I think it's a great idea! Let us know how it goes!

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:29 PM   #3
Fleece Be With You
Registered Users
OperaDiva
seller

Thanks! I know he really isn't too young to be out of diapers, he is extremely verbal for his age, and very advanced in motor skills. Plus he held it ALL NIGHT 3 nights in a row even WITH nighttime nursing sessions. So I know he CAN do it, but he hasn't really been communicating that he needs to go in a way I'm understanding, and he'll sit down for 2 seconds, say "all done", and get up to go do something else, then pee on the floor. Hmmm. Wonder if it has something to do with the fact that he's been cutting molars (and his 8th front tooth) for like 3 weeks.

Overall he's still doing great, I'm just ready to be out of this phase!
Jessica, wife to L (8-5-05) Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, CDing, ECing, babywearing Mama to H (9-18-09), my miracle baby! TTC #2!
I make and sell Fleece side-snap ConvertoTrainers! WAHM page Hyenacart Facebook Page
My Ovulation Chart
Fleece Be With You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:32 AM   #4
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think that would be much different than taking them when they are mid-way through going in their diaper - as long as they are not resisting and I have done it, too!

I feel the same way about my daughter not being quite old enough to be expected to go by herself just yet but definitely old enough to understand not to pee on the floor! She totally understands to pee and poo in the toilet, and refuses to go almost anywhere else now, except, of course her diaper or the floor, but totally understands if I tell her she shouldn't go on the floor. I haven't had her diaper free in awhile though, so no wonder she still uses her diaper! And I think it's often more that I just haven't always taken her and she doesn't want to hold it, then that she actually wants to go on the floor.

I also think she is old enough to be out of diapers... I just haven't felt ready to let her go without just yet, but maybe I will try it soon. I bet a diaper free day would encourage her to signal more clearly more.

Last edited by mel j; 11-15-2010 at 04:34 AM.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:34 AM   #5
poopstermomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've rushed a mid-stream toddler to the potty many times! "You're peeing!! Let's put those peepees in the potty!" we are all about positive motivation, and any pee drops that land in the potty are a good thing! If you don't mind cleaning the stream up across the room, go for it! I think it helps them to recognize the feeling of going potty, and to remember that they need to get up and go if they have to potty.
poopstermomma is offline   Reply With Quote