Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-15-2010, 07:24 AM   #1
jamilynn84
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Won't poop until i give him a diaper...

DS has been hardcore potty training all week. And now has no accidents to speak of, but he waits until i put a diaper on for naptime to have a BM. He tells me a couple times a day he's ready to poop, sits on the toilet then says he's all done before anything comes out. I don't know if it's a leverage thing (needing to stand/squat a bit) or an emotional thing. We are doing a sticker chart and bribes with m&m's which works great for pee, i even upped the anti and offered to buy him a toy garbage truck he's been asking for if he poops on the potty. That was a no go... Last night he actually told me he NEEDED a diaper on. I didn't do it, and when i put his overnight on he rtan to his room and pooped in it, then asked to be changed. I know its a process, but whatever we're doing isn't working. Got any ideas?

Advertisement

Old 11-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
coquelicot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Won't poop until i give him a diaper...

I don't have any advice because DD waits until naptime to poop in her diaper, too. Just want to chime in with needing ideas as well. I thought we were making headway a few weeks ago because she pooped in the potty 3 times that week. No poop there since then. Sigh.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #3
smilingjessica
Registered Users
seller

If you don't already, try catching him in the act and talking to him about what he is doing.
Do you have a small potty that his legs touch the floor? If not, it could be the leverage thing like you said too. You could try a small seat or somehow get his legs up higher when he's on the toilet.
smilingjessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:32 PM   #4
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD turned 3 yesterday and will not poop in the potty. She has been out of diapers day and night for over 8 months, but she just will not poop on the potty. She asks us for a diaper when she needs to poop. I remember my nephew did the same thing. DD says she is scared to do it. I have no advice...just sharing our experience.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:07 PM   #5
Selene
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Would it be possible to not put any diapers on him for a few days? Maybe just some exta padding on the bed for naps/ night time in case of an accident? Just wondering if he would maybe use the potty to poop in for lack of another option...
If that's just not something you feel comfortable with, that's ok too. Just seems like it could be worth a shot.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
karcher26
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Also curious for advice. When I refused my oldest a diaper she ended up constipated. Now I tried that with my DS and his poo was a lot harder than usual the next day. I hate feeling like I'm making him get backed up!
Old 11-26-2010, 08:40 PM   #7
Superblonde Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it's a boy thing. I've heard a lot of Moms with boys talk about this. I only have girls and have not yet had this particular issue.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:16 PM   #8
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ds did that too...right before he learned. I'd just let him run around bottomless, and when he'd ask for a diaper, I knew that meant he was going to poop. Sometimes he would get upset b/c he just wanted what was comfy/familiar to him, his dipes.

But I would pick him up and put him on the toilet, and he would go. I'd tell him that he was a big boy now like daddy, and that when you are a big boy you don't need diapers. It was only a matter of time before he just starting going on the toilet himself. We did have one of those musical toilets as well, for when he didn't want to use the big toilet, but wanted to make it play music...LOL. We also bought him fun undies and let him pick those out, so he got excited to move from diapers to those...and I did too

It also helped to make a huge deal out of every time he went on the toilet himself. Clapping, etc.

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:43 PM   #9
febc
Registered Users
seller

i agree that maybe it is something about boys...mine will never poop in the potty!
febc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #10
mommyof2munchkins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rverrone11 View Post
DD turned 3 yesterday and will not poop in the potty. She has been out of diapers day and night for over 8 months, but she just will not poop on the potty. She asks us for a diaper when she needs to poop. I remember my nephew did the same thing. DD says she is scared to do it. I have no advice...just sharing our experience.

Ugh! DS will be 4 on Christmas Eve and WILL NOT poop on the potty, says he's scared too...still. He says when he is 4 he will but I'm doubtful. My DD will be 2 on the 30th and she is training and pooped in her potty chair today. When I gave her stickers and celebrated DS demanded a sticker and I said "no, poop on the potty like sissy and you will get some" well, he was mad. IDK what to do. Dr says let him be. Constipation is worse. Disposables just stink when you know they are expensive and they are only used for a second!!!