Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-15-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
frenchyloveslarry
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
WWYD? 20 Month old Pling could it be?

Ds is 20 months and has been using the potty every day this past week he will even pull off his dipe and go to the bathroom door and knock at it/whine to use the potty Dad was working with him but not in all seriousness just showing him and we did not expect to actually get to this point so quickly so here we are problem is he has pocket dipes w snaps we use that he really cant get off soo easily by himself anyone have a recommendation for trainers that are still absorbant enough to withold a toddlers pee yet easy to take off when he needs to go... Thanks mommas and also any tips on how to keep up this good work is welcomed

Advertisement

Old 11-16-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
Len27
Registered Users
seller

Re: WWYD? 20 Month old Pling could it be?

DD just turned two and has basically trained herself in the last 3 days so we're in the same boat. Honestly, I just bought a bunch of those waffle weave type trainers from walmart (just padded undies basically) and she is doing awesome with those under pants. If we need a bit more coverage I put fleece pants over top and that combo seems to be decent. We haven't ventured too far from the house in unders yet, but we're working up to it- I did buy generic pull ups for nursery school, so we'll start tackling that soon. For naps etc. I put her back in a diaper (our normal cloth) and she's good with that.

So...basically, if he's showing that much initiative already, you might be able to skip special in-between diapers and just go right to training underwear?
Len27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:32 AM   #3
Sakari
Registered Users

No idea for trainers.

BUT! How to hopefully keep it up and not regress - this is my biggest soapbox on this topic right now -

Don't overpraise him. If every time he goes you do a big huge happy dance and move mountains - he won't understand why you don't keep that up a few months from now.

You need him to OWN this experience all the way. Don't let it be about you. Or how much less laundry you'll have to do, or how he can now be in "potty trained" daycare or gymnastics or whatever. This is HIS deal (just like he's done so far) let him take the reins, show no reaction (well, minimal ) to accidents or successes.

Try not to care where the pee ends up, if he misses the potty, just show him how to clean it up and talk about how much more comfortable and clean it is for him when he goes in the toilet, etc. and then move on!

When he gets it in the potty ask him what he thinks of that! Doesn't that feel nice? Now you can get back to playing faster, etc. But don't go over the top or give him treats - after all, it's just peeing. No one gives you treats or tells you "good job" when you go!

Remember WHY you go in a toilet - and teach him those values. Focus on those things rather than the age or stage he PT'd himself. Let him want to use the toilet on his own because it's clean and healthy - not to please a parent.

Sometimes when we parents get too emotionally wrapped up in it, the kids have adverse reactions. They might just think, hmmm, what will mom do if I DON'T go in the potty? or they might notice that 4 months down the road they don't get their treat or song and dance routine anymore - hmmmm, I want that back! or I want attention! They might demand attention by purposely peeing in non-bathroom places. But if they don't get any reactions for that stuff - they'll realize that it's to no purpose and it's just making them wet and uncomfortable.

There's a million other potential scenarios, too, but I've babbled long enough!
Congrats on the PTing and GL!!

(come here and whoop and holler and sing the praises all ya want! We know how exciting it is!!) But.... to our kiddos.... it's just a normal next step. ya know?

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
icy02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I PT DS1 at 20 months so he could defiantly be ready!! I personally didn't use trainers. We went right from dipes into big boy underwear. That worked for us as it did not create any confusion. I basically did a modified version of the 3 day method. By the end of the first month we were having no accidents
icy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #5
frenchyloveslarry
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I never thought about it this way and now that you mention all this it makes sense to not glorify it so much since he is only going potty thanks for all the tips very helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakari View Post
No idea for trainers.

BUT! How to hopefully keep it up and not regress - this is my biggest soapbox on this topic right now -

Don't overpraise him. If every time he goes you do a big huge happy dance and move mountains - he won't understand why you don't keep that up a few months from now.

You need him to OWN this experience all the way. Don't let it be about you. Or how much less laundry you'll have to do, or how he can now be in "potty trained" daycare or gymnastics or whatever. This is HIS deal (just like he's done so far) let him take the reins, show no reaction (well, minimal ) to accidents or successes.

Try not to care where the pee ends up, if he misses the potty, just show him how to clean it up and talk about how much more comfortable and clean it is for him when he goes in the toilet, etc. and then move on!

When he gets it in the potty ask him what he thinks of that! Doesn't that feel nice? Now you can get back to playing faster, etc. But don't go over the top or give him treats - after all, it's just peeing. No one gives you treats or tells you "good job" when you go!

Remember WHY you go in a toilet - and teach him those values. Focus on those things rather than the age or stage he PT'd himself. Let him want to use the toilet on his own because it's clean and healthy - not to please a parent.

Sometimes when we parents get too emotionally wrapped up in it, the kids have adverse reactions. They might just think, hmmm, what will mom do if I DON'T go in the potty? or they might notice that 4 months down the road they don't get their treat or song and dance routine anymore - hmmmm, I want that back! or I want attention! They might demand attention by purposely peeing in non-bathroom places. But if they don't get any reactions for that stuff - they'll realize that it's to no purpose and it's just making them wet and uncomfortable.

There's a million other potential scenarios, too, but I've babbled long enough!
Congrats on the PTing and GL!!

(come here and whoop and holler and sing the praises all ya want! We know how exciting it is!!) But.... to our kiddos.... it's just a normal next step. ya know?