Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-17-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
kutie.pie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
EC with a 15 month old

Alright, so I'm having difficulties remember to put my DS on the potty and be consistent about giving him opportunities to sit on the potty. DS is 15 months old, and I've been thinking that he's just going to keep using the diapers, because they soak it up and all is well. But we have carpet all over our house and I don't want to go diaperless, because I can't have pee all over. What have you ladies done? I know we're a bit late in the game, but should I just buy some cloth training pants and let him wet himself? What I'm afraid of is that he's not going to mind all that much if he's wet or not, has anyone else had a child like this?

I keep wondering if what's holding him back is me afraid to move forward. I think I feel slightly intimidated, because I have no clue what I'm doing. I don't know if I need a shove forward or he does, or maybe both of us do.

I also don't know if that's going too fast for him, to just start using cloth training pants and no diapers all of a sudden, or is it? I just need some advice of someone else who's been there and got through it alive. lol Thank you so much for any and ALL advice.

Advertisement

Old 12-01-2010, 09:12 PM   #2
kutie.pie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: EC with a 15 month old

bump!
Old 12-02-2010, 07:32 AM   #3
Sakari
Registered Users

Re: EC with a 15 month old

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutie.pie View Post
Alright, so I'm having difficulties remember to put my DS on the potty and be consistent about giving him opportunities to sit on the potty. DS is 15 months old, and I've been thinking that he's just going to keep using the diapers, because they soak it up and all is well. But we have carpet all over our house and I don't want to go diaperless, because I can't have pee all over. What have you ladies done? I know we're a bit late in the game, but should I just buy some cloth training pants and let him wet himself? What I'm afraid of is that he's not going to mind all that much if he's wet or not, has anyone else had a child like this?

I keep wondering if what's holding him back is me afraid to move forward. I think I feel slightly intimidated, because I have no clue what I'm doing. I don't know if I need a shove forward or he does, or maybe both of us do.

I also don't know if that's going too fast for him, to just start using cloth training pants and no diapers all of a sudden, or is it? I just need some advice of someone else who's been there and got through it alive. lol Thank you so much for any and ALL advice.
Amazingly some kids still signal even after being diapered conventionally for so long - so before you ditch the diapers I would watch him.... does he do ANYTHING that might indicate to you hat he needs to go or has just gone? It might be squirming, getting fussy for "no" reason, being easily distracted or not wanting to do what he was just into (but that's normal at this age! lol) IDK - just watch. each kid is different. Notice patterns. Notice behaviors.

the more info you can gleen about when and where he likes to go, the easier it will be on both of you to stop using diapers.

If he ever pees while you're changing him, or any other time that you KNOW he's going - start using a cue sound. (search the forum for more of my - or anyone's, but I talk about it a LOT - cueing soapboxes) Whenever you do decide to leave diapers in the dust, you will need a method of communicating about elimination to your DS. For us, the cue sound is what did it. When I would cue, she would know what I was talking about. Because I spent a lot of time just cueing whenever and wherever I saw her go. No "placement" necessary - just let LO know you're aware.

So, cue sound and watch for patterns and cues. Give that a week or two - see how it goes. Read as much as you can on EC! and change him often. You want him to get used to feeling dry the majority of the time - right now if he's been conventionally diapered, he probably is wet most of the time, so yeah, he might not care right now if he wets himself! That's ok! Try to get him used to feeling dry. Use less stuffing in his diapers so you have to change him, etc. (it'll help you remember!)

Then, when you want to, IF you want to ramp it up a notch - go ahead and use trainers. One-wet pants will help you make sure you're changing him often. But make SURE that you stay non-stress about it and keep it fun. Potty time should be fun! not a chore! No shame, no blame. It's just normal. Everyone uses a toilet - and make sure you talk about why! Adults don't use one to get treats and happy-dances - we use it because it's fast, clean and more comfortable. No one's too young to appreciate those things!

Try to treat diapers and undies the same - try to keep him dry. The confusion some kids get between diapers and undies is that we seem to "tell" them - "wet your pants if you want, you're wearing a diaper" - "No, you're in undies, use a toilet!" back and forth, back and forth - that's confusing! But if the goal is to NOT pee in your pants ever ("that's wet and uncomfortable. Let me know next time that you have to go and we'll get you to a potty - won't that feel better?") Then there's less confusion and frustration over "what am I wearing right now? will it be okay if I pee my pants??" make sense?

fun, fun, fun!!!! and variety is key for this age. Keep it low key and remember that this is all for your LO - it's not about us parents, it's not about getting into preschool or dance class that only takes potty trained kids, etc. This whole process is to keep your LO clean and comfortable!

and feel free to ask more questions!! (glad you "bumped" the thread! )

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote