Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-10-2007, 05:34 PM   #1
SarahJane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Crib to toddler bed?

Our son is 22.5 months old and very tall. I think he's close to 37" He is starting to put his leg over the rail when we come in to get him. I have the bed on the lowest setting. Our daughter was 3 before we even thought of this.... but I'm worried because he is strong and very tall. He seems to love his crib. Sleeps well for the most part. He still wakes once at night but goes back to sleep pretty easily with a drink of water and a pat on the back. I don't want to mess with a good thing...... sleep.... but don't want him to get hurt either. TIA

Advertisement

Last edited by SarahJane; 03-10-2007 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Clicked wrong button/
SarahJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:37 PM   #2
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Crib to toddler bed?How do you know it's time to move from

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahJane View Post
a crib
When they are 36" or climbing out? I really don't know, came here for answers too.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:39 PM   #3
momto2boysinOnt
Registered Users
seller

For us, it was a matter of convenience. We bought a toddler bed at a garage sale for DS1 when I was a few months PG with DS2. We planned to wait a month or two before actually moving DS1, but once we put the bed in his room, he decided he wanted to sleep there, and he refused to go in the crib anymore. He was almost 21 months.

We'd planned to leave DS2 in the crib for longer, but my sister is expecting #1 and my mom bought the crib for us, so I wanted to pass it on. I worried about how DS2 would handle the move because he's never been a good sleeper, and his sleep has only recently improved. Turns out the toddler bed was a good thing for him too. I think he would have been happy enough in the crib for a while yet, but he's enjoyed the move to the toddler bed.

I know some people use the child trying to climb out of the crib as a sign that their child was ready for a bed. Neither of my boys ever did that. I bet your DS would be fine if you moved him to a bed.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:39 PM   #4
SarahJane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Crib to toddler bed?

Yeah that's what I thought too. I'm just so afraid that he'll never sleep again. He's 37" tall already.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:41 PM   #5
SarahJane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto2boysinOnt View Post
For us, it was a matter of convenience. We bought a toddler bed at a garage sale for DS1 when I was a few months PG with DS2. We planned to wait a month or two before actually moving DS1, but once we put the bed in his room, he decided he wanted to sleep there, and he refused to go in the crib anymore. He was almost 21 months.

We'd planned to leave DS2 in the crib for longer, but my sister is expecting #1 and my mom bought the crib for us, so I wanted to pass it on. I worried about how DS2 would handle the move because he's never been a good sleeper, and his sleep has only recently improved. Turns out the toddler bed was a good thing for him too. I think he would have been happy enough in the crib for a while yet, but he's enjoyed the move to the toddler bed.

I know some people use the child trying to climb out of the crib as a sign that their child was ready for a bed. Neither of my boys ever did that. I bet your DS would be fine if you moved him to a bed.
That's really good to know. I don't have any experience this young. He's not asking to move, but he's tall. Thank you!
Old 03-11-2007, 07:07 AM   #6
jackie010307
Registered Users
seller

We moved Michael to a toddler bed at 13 months. He started by putting a leg over the side, then he jumped out!! We decided that for us it was better safe than sorry.
jackie010307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:16 AM   #7
a_budravage
Registered Users
seller

We had a crib that converted to a toddler bed so I really don't remember what we did with our first. It was just so smooth. I think you should just try it, worst case scenario, you put him back in the crib if it doesn't work yet.

Last edited by a_budravage; 03-11-2007 at 10:17 AM.
a_budravage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:40 AM   #8
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We put our DS in a full size twin bed when he was 9 mths old!!! Hehehe We had bought him a bedroom suite that included a bunk bed that had built in rails all the way around the bed! So, we put him in the top bunk but put it flat on the floor! It worked great and he transitioned wonderfully!
png_lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:08 PM   #9
HBuehler
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Megan woudn't sleep in a crib...too much like a cage for her so she was always in our bed..gave her a toddler bed at 15 months and she loved it.Ethan was also right about the same age a space thing but they share a room because they wont be apart from each other
Old 03-11-2007, 05:36 PM   #10
momtomaximusandjackson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My grandfather made my uncle a wooden toddler bed in 1950. My mom used in in 1952, I was in it from 1978-1980, my brother from 1980-?.

We moved the week before Max turned 2, our furniture came on his birthday and he moved to the toddler bed. We never even set up the crib. I think he thought we left it at our old house! We caught him sleeping on the floor next to the bed for a few nights lol, but then he was fine. He got a big boy bed for his 3rd birthday b/c he was too tall for the toddler mattress.

We'll be giving it to Jackson by August when he turns 2, but probably sooner. I need to think about hauling it out of my parents attic and re-painting it soon.

If I didn't have this family heirloom bed, he's go stright to a twin bed. My kids are TALL!
momtomaximusandjackson is offline   Reply With Quote