Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-18-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
carazoe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
What are your must haves for the EC baby?

We have just started EC with our 15lb 5.5 month old. He is doing very well. I just ordered the BBLP and the Diaper Free baby book. What are your families 'must haves' for the EC baby? Christmas is coming up and I would like to have some potty gifts for him (he already has too many toys, hehe)

Advertisement

Wife to Reed, &, select & delayed-vaxing, babywearing, non-circ'ing, co-sleeping Mommy to Gabriel (June 3, 2010), Stepmom to Dagan(11) Expecting baby #2 in MARCH
carazoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:51 AM   #2
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What are your must haves for the EC baby?

hmm...babylegs? I think the good thing about EC is that you don't need anything really special to do it. I have been trying to think about making some drop-front pants, though. It's getting cold and her legs are always cold!

I think I need to make a pair of pants that have a drop-front and a soaker that snaps in just in case we have a miss. I stink at making pants, though.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:12 AM   #3
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
I think I need to make a pair of pants that have a drop-front and a soaker that snaps in just in case we have a miss. I stink at making pants, though.
Hehe, I am trying to make something similar right now! I'm very curious to see how they'll turn out. Knitting, though, not sewing.

Must haves for EC? Patience & communication...

And yep - babylegs or baby leg warmers would be nice! You don't have to get the babyleg brand ones either (they are expensive!) I have a few and I do like them but I got them in a trade. I have a few other homemade ones as well, and may even start making my own now that I sort of know how to do it. There's a mama on here who is selling some she makes pretty cheap and I got 3 pairs from her. They are simple, but they work just fine for EC.

Last edited by mel j; 11-19-2010 at 10:15 AM.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
hmm...babylegs? I think the good thing about EC is that you don't need anything really special to do it. I have been trying to think about making some drop-front pants, though. It's getting cold and her legs are always cold!

i did some of those for my girls and really babylegs and a long shirt/dress was just easier
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
carazoe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies. Its going extremely well so far. I really thought it would be harder at this stage. We've got lots of baby legs. I've been converting women's knee high socks. They work really well, are cheap, and i haven't even been finishing off the ends. They just roll.
Wife to Reed, &, select & delayed-vaxing, babywearing, non-circ'ing, co-sleeping Mommy to Gabriel (June 3, 2010), Stepmom to Dagan(11) Expecting baby #2 in MARCH
carazoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:11 PM   #6
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do that also! Although I've been using baby knitted tights and cutting the tops off so that I don't have to buy socks and babylegs.

I like putting her in a skirt, but I feel like her little legs might be cold if she pulls her socks off, which she does often. Hence the pants idea.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:27 PM   #7
smilingjessica
Registered Users
seller

like pp said, the good thing about EC is you don't need anything special to do it.

I also started EC with DS at 5 months. He is now 19 months. My advice for any must haves would be to be inventive with the stuff and places you have. We EC'd outside a ton in the summer. We do have the BBLP, but it was mainly used at night when he was younger. I made a potty cozy for it too with fleece I had, that was great to have and easy to sew. More recently, now that DS can stand and pee, I have him pee in toy buckets and a mop bucket which is super easy for me and him. (Sounds odd to have him pee in a toy bucket, but it works!)
We also loved babylegs and cotton fitteds that I made at home too.
smilingjessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:44 PM   #8
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I do that also! Although I've been using baby knitted tights and cutting the tops off so that I don't have to buy socks and babylegs.

I like putting her in a skirt, but I feel like her little legs might be cold if she pulls her socks off, which she does often. Hence the pants idea.
Where did you get your tights? I finally got some of the thicker ones from someone on here, but I don't want to cut them... but footed babylegs would be nice! I couldn't find the thicker ones in either BRU or a second hand baby clothes store that we have nearby or on freecycle either.

I put my daughter in dresses and skirts with babylegs too, and I really really like this combination... but yeah! Sometimes the babylegs fall down, plus they don't really provide quite enough coverage for when it's really cold and I'm not going to want to take her outside in just a skirt or dress and babylegs. Also, when I first got them to try them, my son wouldn't even keep them on! He let me put them on him and then just took them right off, and I think my daughter is just about at the point of wanting to do that, too. I don't think split crotch pants would work for us, either... I cut a hole in an old pair of pants to see if it would, and the first time I tried it, it seemed to work great... However, the second time, she peed on the pants. Plus I just think they look weird and don't really like them anyway. But I do have an idea for drop flap pants that I'm working on..... they'd actually probably be useful for my son too even though he's been out of diapers for awhile, because he often wants his pants to be all the way off to go to the bathroom, especially if he's going by himself.

Last edited by mel j; 11-19-2010 at 10:45 PM.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:37 PM   #9
Sakari
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by carazoe View Post
We have just started EC with our 15lb 5.5 month old. He is doing very well. I just ordered the BBLP and the Diaper Free baby book. What are your families 'must haves' for the EC baby? Christmas is coming up and I would like to have some potty gifts for him (he already has too many toys, hehe)
As many have said, I agree that not much is necessary to EC - which is great! BUT as to the bolded.... .... things that I've liked or would have liked to try would be (as gifts ideas!):

* a prefold belt
* pre-flats
* leg warmers (babylegs are often really cheap on www.inspiredbyfinn.com if you want that brand - pm me for a discount code!)
* waterproof cloth dipes - we had just bought bg aio organics. I really liked them for going out.
* if you want sposies for trips I liked seventh generation
* little potty or two.
* cloth wipes
* eventually you might want trainers or those cheap gerber undies with extra padding in the crotch.
* a few extra diaper changing pads (depending on where you are in you ECing maybe. But I liked having extra when we were starting out so that it wasn't a big deal if DD peed on the changing table - just grab a new one and thro the other in the wash!)
* some people like split crotch pants
* potty-only toys and books
* small toy potty and doll (ya know, a construction worker or army man ) to go potty on it!
* EC books!! (that would be more for you I suppose )

that's all I can think of at the moment. ALL of these are just extras - none are really necessary - that's the beauty of EC! Have fun shopping!

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:32 AM   #10
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Asking what you need for ECing is like asking what you need for breastfeeding, lol.
I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is online now   Reply With Quote