Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-20-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
mommytosun&moon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
how to figure out shipping costs?

hi, i know everything has to have a dc#. but dc# have to be shipped priority right? how do you ship for the lowest cost? my post office keeps saying priority is a mininum of $5 is that right? how do you mamas figure out shipping costs for diapers?

Advertisement

Old 11-22-2010, 07:25 AM   #2
mommytosun&moon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: how to figure out shipping costs?

Old 11-22-2010, 07:32 AM   #3
MatildasMum
Registered
seller

My Mood:

get a scale. a cheapo kitchen scale from Walmart does the trick. Weigh it then go to USPS.com and calculate postage there. Or - you can go into paypal and enter in the weight there. you will be shown the amount before having to pay for it.

Anything over 13 ounces can not go First Class.
MatildasMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:50 AM   #4
Superblonde Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The least expensive, quickest shipping is always first class. The limit for first class is 13 ounces.

PP is right - get yourself a cheapo postal scale (digital one if you can swing it). I also mail everything in what is called poly bag mailers (you can buy them on ebay - I get mine from Express Shipping Supply), or I've seen people turn white shopping bags inside out and use lots of tape to mail things and that seems to work okay. That helps to keep the weight from exceeding 13 ounces, instead of mailing things in boxes.

Weigh whatever you're mailing (round up the ounces if the weight includes .5 or higher in the fraction). Go to USPS.com, enter the zip code sending from/to, the weight, and that you are sending a package.

I've found that when you give people your paypal address, you have to ask them to select 'goods' as what they are paying for. Otherwise, you will not be able to print First Class postage - for some reason it will only let you choose "Priority".

When you purchase your postage online (through Paypal, or directly from the USPS website), you get a discounted rate (I think it's 10% less or something). With First Class and Priority, delivery confirmation is automatically included. If you go to the post office building, it costs 80 cents.

You can print a label and tape it to your package (do not put tape over the bar code that prints), or you can buy labels (I also get these from Express shipping supply).

After you've printed your postage, you also have the option to select "carrier pickup". This is nice if your package is too large for the mailbox, or you have lots of packages and they won't all fit. When you select that option, you enter the weight for all of the packages, and give instructions where your carrier should go to get the packages (front porch, side door, back door, wherever).

The decision to invest in supplies depends on how much you think you're going to sell. For me, it's worth it to buy the poly bag mailers and the labels because it just makes things easier. But, you could get by just fine printing labels on paper and taping them to packages, whether you use inside out white shopping bags or boxes.

You can also use priority flat rate boxes, but as I mentioned, first class is always the cheapest way to go if your package is 13 ounces or less.

Hope this helps! I've learned all of this through much trial and error!!! : )
Old 11-22-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
mommytosun&moon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thank you!!!
Old 11-22-2010, 09:35 AM   #6
MatildasMum
Registered
seller

My Mood: