Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-20-2010, 09:37 PM   #11
jenndoxx
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: did anyone else never get the hang of nursing lying down?

I never figured out how to do it comfortably with DS, but I guess I'll try again with the next baby.

Advertisement

Jenn
Mom to two little boys
jenndoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #12
rxmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

It took me a while with DS#1, but I thought- "wow- feed the baby and take a nap at the same time- how cool is that" so I learned faster with DS#2...it became sort of a mission. Bf'ing sort of realligns the concept of big breasted or no, but I'm a DD. I do flip to change sides. Our bed has sort of a smooshy top so I typically lean back a little and a pillow in the small of my back helps. Good luck!
rxmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:44 AM   #13
crfinster
Registered Users
seller

I'm large-breasted, but I didn't get the hang of it until DS was 4 months old. Ever since, its been his favorite position to nurse in. Well, until lately. Now he likes to do the 'puppy wallow' as DH puts it, lol. But it wasn't very funny when he fell while still attached.
crfinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:48 AM   #14
apboyles
Registered Users

My Mood:

We've tried it a few times at the recommendation of my lactation mentor. I just really can't get it. I think he needs to be a little bigger for it to work really well for us.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:11 AM   #15
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The best side lying advice I got was to start by doing it on the couch. Get your pillow positioned at one end. Then sit in the middle of the couch and latch baby on in the cradle position with her head pointing toward that pillow. Then lean yourself and baby down onto the couch until your head is on the pillow. Once there, you can use the arm under the baby to scoot baby down just a tad.
Once I got the hang of that, I moved to the bed. I still, at 14mos, start off nursing lying down with my arm under baby's head. I get us all situated and then slip my arm out while keeping baby latched.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:45 PM   #16
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

it took me awhile to get the hang of it. ds was probably 5-6 months old before i really worked for us. when he was a newborn i tried a few times but it just frustrated us both because i couldn't get him into position and he was too "floppy". but, once he had a little more head control, it became much easier. i am fairly large, DD, but i always laid on my side and he nursed from the bottom breast. it seemed to work easier to lay him on his side first, then hold him in place with my upper hand, and lay down next to him with the nipple just slightly higher than his mouth. the first few times i had to guide his head to it, but mostly by the time it started working for us (and i think one of the major reasons it started working) he knew what to do when he saw a nipple by his head really, that was the big thing, once he figured out what was up, and was old enough to re-position himself, i just needed to lay next to him and he would do his thing on his own. sometimes i'd need to correct his latch a little if he got over-eager and latched wrong, but usually it was all good, and i was back to sleep within moments. once i figured it out, it was just so awesome and i wished i had figured it out earlier. i still don't know though if i could do it with a newborn, but with an older baby, i think it's well worth trying to learn.
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:09 PM   #17
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for this thread. I never got the hang of it with DD, though I seriously hope to get it this time around. my bff could do it, and she's smaller than I am. I'm about a D when nursing, she's maybe a B
Old 11-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #18
tcmt81
Registered Users
seller

It never worked for me, and I have small breasts, they were a C completely engorged, then dropped to a B. She couldn't latch on properly at all, milk would dribble out of her mouth all over the bed, and she never suckled long enough to get hindmilk, so we gave up on that.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:21 PM   #19
ncfjj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got the hand of nursing sidelying thanks to a nurse that helped me out. I was getting tired and tense and she had me lay down on my side, with James next to me, and assisted in latching him on. I didn't need to try to hold him while latching him so it worked nicely for me. In fact, I nursed him quite a bit sidelying because of the ease of it.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:34 AM   #20
sm_0110
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am super small-chested, and nursing laying down has saved my sanity! My son is almost 10 months and still wakes a minimum of 4 times a night I had to get creative with some of the positioning, but it made a world of difference! I feel so much more rested.
sm_0110 is offline   Reply With Quote