Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-23-2010, 11:56 AM   #21
Clare378
Registered Users
seller

Re: did anyone else never get the hang of nursing lying down?

I had to work to learn it with DD1, but we didn't nurse very long. I taught DD2 to latch using the side-lying position. It's all she got for the first couple days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magooken View Post
i actually just gave it a try again this evening. we started out side-lying, then what ended up working better was me on my back and her laying across my body (sort of like how we nurse sitting up, except lying down). it was kind of weird, but it worked. my dd is almost 14 months and STILL gets up once a night most nights. oh, how i long for 8 hrs of sleep! she used to sleep through between 1-3 months old, but hasn't consistently done it since then.
DD2 does exactly that, but she's almost a year.

Advertisement

Clare378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:10 PM   #22
Smalls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It was definitly hard at first but I've gotten the hang of it with my 4 month old. I smaller too (normally a 38C). The key for me was to get him "higher" than me and that seemed to help. My bed has a divit in it because it's a pillowtop and DH is a big guy so I'm able to put DS2 on the high part and then I'm laying in the low part of the divit and it works great. You could also achieve this by putting the baby on a folded up blanket or towel.

Then, pull the baby's legs in towards your stomach but keep his body at an angle (so you're two bodies look like a "v"). Put your arm straight out on the bed or wedge a pillow behind your head and put your arm up behind the pillow. (this would be feeding on the boob closest to the bed).

Good luck!
Old 11-23-2010, 04:41 PM   #23
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm small chested and nursing lying down came so naturally for me. I used to do it in the middle of the day because it was just easier. Never did get the football hold down, and the cradle hold was even a bit of a struggle. But lying down was a cinch! Everyone is just a little different.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:34 PM   #24
mrsmusic
Registered Users
seller

I'm sorry it didn't work for you. It's one of my favorite ways to nurse. It makes night nursing much easier. I use the top breast when the baby is little, and then switch to using the bottom one after baby is older and we've gotten the hang of it.
Bri helpmeet to Chaise (9/10/11). Attachment parenting, no circ, no longer vaccinating, pro-life, Christian, homeschooling preemie mama to K (27wks on 2/17/07) AIH Type 1 with PSC overlap and M (33wks on 3/4/09) Gluten Freeand A (37 weeks! on 2/3/11)
Follow my blog: Music Notes
mrsmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:49 AM   #25
ollie_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It works great for me but I have 38 DD's haha. Only thing is that sometimes when we're lying down milk comes out of DDs nose when letdown is strong. Other than that she loves it, I love it and we both get to sleep.
ollie_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:28 AM   #26
ecbcmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmusic View Post
I'm sorry it didn't work for you. It's one of my favorite ways to nurse. It makes night nursing much easier. I use the top breast when the baby is little, and then switch to using the bottom one after baby is older and we've gotten the hang of it.

this is us too!
ecbcmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:20 PM   #27
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

I never got it either. Nursed 2 babies and could kind of sort of do it with the second but it wasn't comfortable. It was just when I was desperately tired I'd do it anyway.
My problem is that I could never ever latch a baby with one hand. I need one on the baby and one on the breast. Always. I'm super sensitive there the latch had to be perfect every time.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:41 PM   #28
BattleBuddies
Registered Users
Formerly: ArmyWife1118
seller
seller

With the twins, I could never figure it out. With DD2, I got it around 2 months, but it wasnt comfy. With DS2, we have done it since the first day home from the hospital, and we love it. I lay him on his back, and lay down next to him. I pull him onto his side, nipple to nose, and put a rolled up blanket behind his back. My bottom arm goes straight out so that my arm and body form an upside-down "L". Then, I lean towards my stomach or roll a little towards my back until my nipple is at the right spot to be lined up for him to latch. I use my top arm to help latch him, then I rest that arm on my side or on his bottom.

BattleBuddies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:54 PM   #29
BattleBuddies
Registered Users
Formerly: ArmyWife1118
seller
seller

What is ERF? I cant find it on the abbrevitions list, and I cant figure it out. I know what EBF is, but what in the world is ERF?

BattleBuddies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:06 PM   #30
Jcavan
Registered Users
seller

It is awkward at first, but practice makes perfect! It is now my favorite position!
Jcavan is offline   Reply With Quote