Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-24-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
04liquidS
Registered Users
seller
seller

BFing after segmental mastectomy/lumpectomy

I had a segmental mastectomy to remove a large (about the size of a racquetball) Fibroadenoma (a type of benign tumor) from my right breast in June. I have about a 2 inch scar around my areola but my breast looks normal otherwise (my surgeon was awesome; the first surgeon I saw said I would need reconstructive surgery so I got a second opinion).

We were planning on TTC when I had my surgery, so I asked my doctor about breastfeeding during one of my follow up appointments. He thinks I will be able to, but said I always have the other breast if I can't use the right side.

I'm 9 weeks pregnant now and wondering if anyone here has any experience with this. I would like to be able to EBF but I'm not sure if it will be possible. I'm worried I might not get much, if any, milk from the right side. If that happens, could my left side produce enough to make up for the right? Sorry if this is a silly question, I'm going to be a first time mom so I'm still learning

Thanks in advance ladies!

Advertisement

Delayed/selective vaxing, APing, BWing, ERFing, CDing & non circing SAHM to Owen Rylan born 7/13/11 & #2!

Fur mom to Lucy, Gunner, Pookie and Briscoe.

Last edited by 04liquidS; 11-24-2010 at 05:13 PM.
04liquidS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: BFing after segmental mastectomy/lumpectomy

Most women can produce enough to feed twins, so you should be able to EBF using 1 breast.

That said, if you find you need to supplement a little, don't feel bad about it. Just do your best to read up on how to increase your supply, have the drugs to increase supply at the ready in case you need 'em. Just be prepared and do your best! You may end up supplementing for this baby, but if you have another you may not need to (you grow more ducts with each pregnancy).

GL mama

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:18 PM   #3
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:

It isn't your exact situation, but you might get some helpful information from the book Defining Your Own Success by Diana West. The book is about breastfeeding after breast reduction surgery, but you might be able to apply some of the information to your own situation. Congratulations on your pregnancy!
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:10 PM   #4
Willows
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes if you feed on demand in all likelihood you could produce enough milk to feed your little one. I successfully breastfed triplets and am now tandem nursing a 2 year old and a 3 week old. Your body normally works on a supply and demand basis so if your one breast cannot produce you should still be fine.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/lopsided.html
Old 11-25-2010, 06:10 AM   #5
04liquidS
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks ladies. I found a few articles on Kellymom about nursing after breast surgery. It seems like I should be able to do it.
Delayed/selective vaxing, APing, BWing, ERFing, CDing & non circing SAHM to Owen Rylan born 7/13/11 & #2!

Fur mom to Lucy, Gunner, Pookie and Briscoe.
04liquidS is offline   Reply With Quote