Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #1
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

using flats with EC...

Hi Mamas,

Forgive if this question has been asked, but I would like some thoughts/info, etc about using flats with EC. I don't have the option of using another diaper system, so I would like tips on how to make them easier to use in conjunction with EC.
My son is almost 6 months old and we started last week with EC. He is doing really well, but I keep him in diaps when we are out and around my older sons while we are learning together. Anyway, I use flats with a snappy and wool covers. A lot of the time, I don't use a cover, so the snappy gets caught on stuff, etc, so it's kind of a hassle. Is there a cheap, easy way (for a non-crafty person) to convert the flats so they are easier on and off?
TIA!

Advertisement

Old 11-26-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
niftysmith
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: using flats with EC...

I'm thinking a prefold belt may be usable with flats, too. You might need a stronger elastic since a flat is generally folded a bit more than a prefold, but I'd think it would work pretty well.

letterpress printer + graphic designer open for business - my portfolio
niftysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
Fleece Be With You
Registered Users
OperaDiva
seller

ITA, I would definitely look into a prefold belt. If you sew, they are the easiest thing in the world to make, just like a big hair scrunchie
Jessica, wife to L (8-5-05) Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, CDing, ECing, babywearing Mama to H (9-18-09), my miracle baby! TTC #2!
I make and sell Fleece side-snap ConvertoTrainers! WAHM page Hyenacart Facebook Page
My Ovulation Chart
Fleece Be With You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
Sakari
Registered Users

Definitely. One of my favorite EC systems was some "preflats" I made (a piece of flannel folded over and sewn up the sides) and then I just tied a strip of polar fleece around her belly and that was it! Obviously it was an at-home system - we didn't go out like that, but it was soooo easy on and off and quick!! add a shirt and babylegs and we were set!

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
NooneeWilga
Registered Users

A prefold belt is easy to make, even if you don't sew :-)
Get a length of wider elastic, tie a knot and that is it. Not beautiful, but functional.
Another no sew way of making a prefold belt is to cut the elastic waist off a pair of pants that might be too short for him.
HTH
NooneeWilga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:30 AM   #6
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

thanks mamas!
I have some fabric scraps, some stretchy and some fleece, so I am trying that. Mostly bc the stupid snappys are getting caught on everything if I leave him coverless.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:14 AM   #7
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Or a headband - then he can be stylish too
Old 11-30-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use flats all the time! I just trifold them when I use pocket diapers and stick them in - either in the pocket, or in a cover. I used them with a "prefold belt" (headband ) for awhile, too! Receiving blankets work well this way too. My only 'complaint' is that they are often barely even wet since they are so BIG and she gets changed after every pee (though often, she does soak right through them!) So, I also cut up a bunch of receiving blankets and made mini inserts for her, which I usually just stick in bloomers to catch a missed pee. So easy...

Last edited by mel j; 11-30-2010 at 11:55 AM.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #9
smilingjessica
Registered Users
seller

I couldn't get flats to work for us and ec. However, I never tried a belt. I didn't use a snappy also because I was worried it'd catch on DS and then was too slow with pins. I wanted flats to work, I loved that they could dry quick. But instead I just sewed cotton fitteds.
smilingjessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:10 PM   #10
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

well, aside from trying to make a belt work, I think I will search out some velcro covers (which I normally hate) and that way I can just trifold it in. Right now all I have/use are wool soakers and fleece or wool longies.