Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-11-2007, 07:37 PM   #1
PKat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Chapped nipples help

I had HORRIBLE chapped nipples during the whole time I nursed DD, they were often chapped enough that they would bleed (but not right on the acutal nipple more on the aerole) after nursing and/or pumping. I did use Lansinoh and it provided temporary relief but the chafing never went away...it was almost like really bad eczema that covered the whole covered part of my nipple. It started about a week into nursing and did not go away until DD had been weaned for more than a month.

This time I would like to avoid that if possible, not only is it not pretty it isn't comfortable.

Here is what I did last time can some of you make suggestions about what I can change this time to avoid this problem?

*Used Lasinoh (kind of helped but not totally and I am pretty sure I am not allergic to this because I lanolize wool covers now and also use it when my lips are really chapped and I have no reaction to it)
*Used disposable nursing pads at the suggestion of the LC at the local hospital (she was pretty sure that they were chapped because of moisture build up) so I got rid of my washable nursing pads and went all disposable
*Pumped twice a day when I went back to work for 9 months (just used what came with my Medela PIS advanced didn't buy anything special)
*Only wore bra's that were 100% cotton

So give me some input what types of things can I try with this one (due next month) to avoid the nasty nipples?

Advertisement

Mary Kate - knitting mama to three girlies!
PKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:51 PM   #2
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:
Re: Chapped nipples help

I wouldn't use sposie pads, I think that would make it worse?
Also try rubbing a little bm into your nipples after done feeding and maybe let air dry - see if that does anything, it might make it worse.
Just make sure you're not really washing them or getting too much soap on them since that will make it worse.
I'll keep thinking, that's just what I can think of now.
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:03 PM   #3
somersocial
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would suggest wool nursing pads!

I haven't had any leaking with dd - so I haven't used breast pads for 11 months. In the last two months she created a very tender sore spot on one of my nipples because of her teeth - I tried everything to stop the pain (lanolin, repositioning her, etc) I just got a set of wool nursing pads last week from Luxe Baby and within 24 hours the pain was gone and has been gone for over a week now. I think the lanolin in the wool along with the natural fibers which allowed air flow around the nipple solved our problem!

HTH!

Good Luck!
Old 03-11-2007, 10:17 PM   #4
kknutzen
Registered Users
seller

I liked Earth Mama Angel Baby brand Nipple Butter a lot more than lansinol. I used the lansinol for a few days because it's what they gave me in the hospital and was very chapped and bleeding. Once I switched to the nipple butter they healed and I've never had any more pain. Could have been the timing of when they would get used to nursing anyway, but it might be worth a try. Here's a link...

http://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/or...le_butter.html
kknutzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:04 PM   #5
PKat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks all I will look into washable nursing pads and the nipple butter. Hopefully that will help, I am also staying home with this one so hopefully that means less pumping--that definately seemed to make it worse.

Mary Kate - knitting mama to three girlies!
PKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:02 PM   #6
crunchymomma
Banned
seller

Wool nursing pads and gerber nipple therapy AFTER applying bm and air drying gl momma
crunchymomma is offline   Reply With Quote