Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-26-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
lifeabroad
Registered Users

How far would/did you drive to give birth?

Giving birth at home just doesn't seem to be an option for us as we will be living with my parents at the time. I would LOVE to give birth at a birthing center instead of our "less than supportive of natural birth" hospital. Its a ways away.

So...I am wondering how far would you or DID you travel to give birth at a place you wanted?

How was laboring in the car? How was driving back with a newborn?

TIA!

Advertisement

Old 11-26-2010, 05:50 PM   #2
cali4niachef
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How far would/did you drive to give birth?

My birth center was about 1.5hrs away, did that for #1 and #2. If I couldnt find a homebirth midwife(doing that this time for #3) I would drive up to 2-3hrs.

I also have precipitous births. 7hrs of active labor with my first, less than 3hrs of active labor with my 2nd. I was in the car while transition and my body even started pushing. My 2nd son was born less than 5mins after arriving at the BC. I dont regret it and I was totally prepared to catch my own baby and just have my DH continue drive to the BC after baby was born. There is just no way you could get me to give birth in the hospital unless my or my babys life depended on it. I was in the hospital with my first and it was awful. Now as a doula I attend births in all settings and I've only seen ONE fully natural birth in a hospital where the staff didnt force anything on her besides initial monitoring for 30mins to get a baseline.

This time I'm paying out of pocket and hiring homebirth midwife, even if I dont get reimbursed by my insurance company I dont regret it one bit. I still drive over an hour to her office for my prenatals.

Anything is worth it to get the birth I want and avoid the one I dont want. You cant put a price on an empowering unhindered birth!
EUPHORICBIRTH.COM

Last edited by cali4niachef; 11-26-2010 at 05:54 PM.
cali4niachef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
SwaggerWagon
Registered Users
seller

I delivered both of mine at hospital that is 50 minutes away without traffic or issues. With DD, I was in full blown labor and I remember not being happy about the drive. But now 2 years later, its not something I really talk about, so it obviously wasn't that bad. I was very nervous about DS coming too quickly and/or a snowstorm as he was born in Jan (DD was a very fast labor) but ended up being induced.
I feel comfortable with the drive, but if there is morning rush hour traffic or a snowstorm, I am full aware of the possibility of delivering in the car.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:59 PM   #4
momtoesther
Registered Users
seller

I drive about an hour, but this is because I live in a rural area. I do pass a hospital on the way, but they don't do deliveries. But, if I really was in the pushing stage, I'm sure I could go into their emergency. My last DD was born in 1 hour 20 minutes after my water broke, and my DH is really nervous that this one will be born in the van! Especially since this time we have two kids to pack up and drop off somewhere.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:05 PM   #5
cestial225
Registered Users

I would drive up to 3 hours if for some reason I could not birth at home. Both my boys were born at home and I cant imagine it any other way but second choice would def be a birth center. 3rd choice would be the car! I steer clear of hospitals.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
Cathypie
Registered Users
seller

if we weren't going to be able to make our HB a possibility i was going to go to a freestanding birth center about 45 minutes away. my third choice was with the midwives at the birth center in hospital about 50 minutes away. there's 2 hospitals much closer but unless it is a serious emergency i will not go to them. i had dd at the one and i HATED it. i got my med free birth but i think it would've been harder had it not been the middle of the night. and i had issues with the nursery giving my baby bottles and pacifiers.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
Superblonde Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For 1 & 2, the hospital was 20 miles away. 1 was a loooooong labor, 2 a scheduled c-section. For #3, I switched docs (because doc who delivered 1 & 2 was very paranoid of 'older' Moms). New doc only delivered at a hospital 40 miles away - but it was well worth it to me.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:04 PM   #8
jesshb
Registered Users
seller

I drove 80-something miles (about 1hr 20min) to a freestanding birth center for my 3rd. With my local hospital boasting c-section rates of over 50% (70% with some physicians), there was no way I was going to put myself in that situation after giving birth vaginally w/no interventions twice before (in different states).

It worked out that I went into active labor a few hours after my 40 wk appointment (they had me walk around the area near the birth center to see if I could get myself into active labor...already dilated 4 cm). But before that, many people in my community were taking bets at which exit I would deliver my DS.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:26 PM   #9
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

20-25 minutes away is my max because my labors are very fast.
it's very unpleasant to have contractions in the car!
Old 11-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #10
4dramamama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My freestanding birth center is 50 minutes with no traffic. Could probably end up being 2 hours with rush hour. I labored in the car with #1 and #2. Neither was pleasant or fun in any way. I am much more appreciative and understanding of labor now and I am fully prepared to deliver in the car while passing the 3 hospitals on the way to the birth center.
Beth, Christian mama of 5 (expecting #6 Spring 2013).
Check out my blog Heart Stirred with Wisdom
4dramamama is offline   Reply With Quote