Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-11-2007, 09:04 PM   #1
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Reglan and Domperidone users- I need help

I am on this cause I had another crash in my milk supply 2 weeks ago. I went from about 4.5 ounces both sides to .5 in both!! no let down at all.
so I made an emergency visit to the doc and got reglan. It worked in 1 day. I have no symptoms other than being exhausted after taking it... BUT I ordered the domperidone to take and started it last week. took Reglan till Tuesday and by Friday I have barely any milk again. so I took Reglan again and it feels like its working.

the reglan was only suppose to be for 12 days @ 10mg a day up to 3 a day.
the dom I was taking 2-3, 3 times a day.
well it did not work quick enough so, I am flip flopping and not sure what to do. I never took a drug for this. In fact, I never take meds!

for those who take reglan on a regular basis: what amount do you take each day and how long have you been on it. if you take it once a day did you just do it at night to not be so tired? where can I get it w/out a script?

IF you took reglan and switched to dom: how did you do it?
I just stopped one day. and started with the next brand. is that wrong?

last thing, when I take Reglan my baby is happier. I chalked it up to getting more food. but I think maybe the med is settling his stomach and making him sleep better. when I take dom, same ol crabby high needs baby. hmmmmm
btw, baby barely nurses at the breast for past week. I pump and feed. such a pain but he is way too impatient, or prefer the bottle... who knows. but at night or nap time, he takes the boob just fine.

UPDATE: 3/28/07 I had taken 1 Reglan for past 3 weeks and started to get a little anxious/jumpy after I took a full pill. (it was freekin me out) SO, I went off it cold turkey, which gave me one heck of a migraine... and I flipped back over to domperidone 3-4, 2-3 times a day. after 2 days I am feeling pretty darn big and able to pump about 4 oz each side. AMAZING.
On the flip side I have to eat ALOT to keep my sugar level up but otherwise my milk supply is pretty normal now. Hope it stays that way.
I think the key for me was getting the reglan to ensure milk quickly and give me a let down... then the dom to maintain?
If I have a BIG drop again I will do the reglan once again and switch over to the dom. as of right now I will take a small dose of dom to maintain. (along w extra pumping and tons of food/water)

Advertisement

Last edited by homebirthmom; 03-28-2007 at 04:58 PM.
homebirthmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
KMsmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Reglan and Domperidone users- I need help

Hi! Some moms notice an increase right away on domperidone (dpd), others it takes up to six weeks. I have taken both. Reglan did nothing for me and the dpd doubled my supply. I noticed changes after a few days but I know many moms who didn't maximize supply till much later. I did wean off the Reglan per my doc recommendation and personally I took 12 10 mg tabs of dpd daily in 3 four pill doses for many months and had wonderful results. It was the only thing that worked for me. You can get some wonderful advice on bfar.org about dpd, reglan and other ways to maximize your supply. It is for breastfeeding after reduction moms but anyone who has low supply issues can benefit greatly! Best wishes!

Michele
Old 03-11-2007, 09:32 PM   #3
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

I'd be very careful of both of those meds if I were you. I know they're supposedly "safe" for breastfeeding, and can increase your supply, but they can have some scary side effects--just make sure you do your research.

There are other ways you can increase your milk supply, so maybe start trying some of those, and you can gradually wean off of those meds.

You can take Fenugreek, Mothers Milk Tea (can be found online and at any vitamin/whole foods store), drink a TON of water, AT LEAST 64oz. per day, increase food rich in Vitamin B, eat whole milk yogurt, increase proteins, and nurse, nurse, nurse!

Were you certain your baby wasn't getting enough? Because some women aren't able to pump much even though they have an ample supply. The pump is not nearly as good as drawing out the milk like the baby is.

I'd also suggest you have a nurse in. Put the bottles away, and dedicate 2-3 days just to breastfeeding. Have DH stay home from work if necessary and offer the baby the breast anytime he is hungry. The best thing you can do for your supply is to offer the breast when your baby is hungry, or wants comfort. The bottle is much easier for him, so if you're offering it too much, he isn't going to want the breast, which will decrease your supply, too.

Contact someone from LLL also, or a lactation consultant and get some help. Good Luck!
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:49 PM   #4
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ha ha. I've been a birth attendant for 10 years... so I know that whole route about nursing marathon. it just isn't working. I did all the teas and fenugreek, uping calories, fluids... and although it worked earlier with this baby its not now.
I realize low milk is caused by stress. I am literally blocking off prolactin when I am stressed. but this past weekend I was not stressed just switched from the reglan to the dom.

again, I am not for meds normally (I had 4 kids at home, no meds) But I am not willing to stop feeding my baby breastmilk. having him fight at the breast the past 2 months has been horrible. I'd like to take the bottle away but he just refuses to eat then. I've tried just not feeding him thinking he will nurse if he is starving but instead he's up all night/morning making up. and I have other kiddos that need a sane mom who isn't cursing in the morning or letting them sleep in and miss school cause I am too tired to get up. (yes I have done this)

sadly I gave in to the feeding him organic rice cereal last week. He loves it but poops it right back out. we do it one time per day and I still pump if he refuses to eat. I always offer (.)(.) first. when he refuses I pump and feed him after. he only gets 3 oz a pumped feeding. he is usually still hungry.
you can only imagine how upset he was when he was getting .5 oz.
I took out frozen milk to suppliment later though.

I base my supply off of let downs. If I don't have them, you can count of wilty saggy, .25 oz boobs.

Last edited by homebirthmom; 03-11-2007 at 09:50 PM.
homebirthmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:08 AM   #5
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

bump cause I gotta take something today!!!
Old 03-12-2007, 08:46 AM   #6
KatiesMom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have been taking Reglan for nausea and haven't noticed an increase in supply... I didn't know it could be used for that. As far as changing medications I would ask your doctor or if you don't want your doctor to know, call and ask a pharmacist. Pharmacists know more about medications than even doctors do.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:44 AM   #7
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

good idea on calling the pharmacist...
I need a dosage on those who took Reglan on a regular basis for milk supply. anyone???