Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-11-2007, 10:20 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Bad reaction to RED DYE...who else has been there?

Why oh WHY did I let someone give DD that juice? After Church today, a friend of mine came by the house for a few minutes with some snacks (and her kids) to visit for a bit. She had some strawberry kiwi juice (dont know what brand) in box juice form, and DD kept trying to grab it. She said "is it ok to give her a sip?". Not even thinking I said "oh sure". So Emma sucks down about half the box.

I swear she was NOT my child an hour later. She was hyperactive in a way Id never seen, and MAD. She would look at me, frown, dig her nails into my arms and just SCREAM!!!! No tears, just pissed off. And she wouldnt sit on my lap, she kept throwing herself face first onto the floor and then acting like a wriggling worm when I tried to pick her up. Wouldnt latch on to nurse, and kept scratching me! I was tempted to call for an EXORCISM!

It wasnt until about 2 hours later that I realized that was the first time she'd ever had anything with coloring involved. I've given her juice before, but just the organic pure type from the health foods store.

I had NO idea this was going to happen. Never in my wildest dreams (or should I say nightmare!) could I have forseen this. It took me 2 hours to get her to sleep...but she finally drifted off. Thank goodness.

I really think she had a bad reaction to that red dye (Ive heard some horror stories before).

Has anyone else experienced something like this? Where can I read up on it? Does anyone know where I can find information?

Mom to G, E and S
Lisa-Rachelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:48 AM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Bad reaction to RED DYE...who else has been there?

Yup. I was a nanny for a boy who had a red dye allergy. I never gave it to him, so I don't know the exact reaction, but I think it may have been similar.

Unless you really isolate their eating, it is hard to pinpoint food allergies. I drank a diet red pop one day and was out for HOURS with a nasty migraine. I discovered I could not have the Splenda in it...go figure.
bean3 is offline   Reply With Quote