Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2010, 12:56 AM   #1
~4ourgrls~
Registered Users

My Mood:
Tandem Nursing

I would like to hear stories.. give me the good, the bad and the ugly.

Advertisement

Old 11-29-2010, 02:27 AM   #2
b bright
Registered Users
seller

Re: Tandem Nursing

I did it with infant twins for 6 weeks. It was definitely exhausting on most nights, but others it was okay. I quit because I had thrush that didn't clear up and it went undiagnosed for like 2 weeks...so I quit because it hurt too bad.

It sort of depends on the feeding schedule I think. I could either feed them both at the same time and keep them on the same schedule (i did a sort of feed on demand/feed on schedule mixture...they were hungry around every 2 -3 hours but if they didn't wake up to eat, I would wake them up anyways..) Anywho, I liked feeding them at the same time because it was quick although it was a pain to get 2 tiny infant situated...I really needed dh's help with it. I assume if I still bf (at 6 months) it would be quite easier since they are a bit stronger and keep themselves situated a bit more.

If you choose to feed one right after the other then it has its own perks. You don't have to struggle to hold 2 newborns. One thing that I liked a lot about this method was that I could nurse laying down (great at night!!) I would just grab one of the bubbies and lay him on my left and feed him then after he was done I would grab the other and roll over to my right and feed him. (They slept in a cosleeper beside my bed.) After baby #2 was done I would change them both and put them back to sleep in the cosleeper.

All in all, even though I barely got a taste of BF 2....it was a lot easier than I suspected it would be....until the thrush. Then I hated every minute of it and didn't want anything to do with feeding time...so if you even think you might get thrush, call the dr or whoever to get some meds....My LC gave me a script for that cream mixture of antibiotics/steriods/pain reliever that is on that Dr. Newmans website or whatever it is...(sorry its late and i don't feel like googling for it) but apparently its like the greatest thing out there for thrush on tata's. I'd suggest trying to ask for a script for it just to have on hand in case you do get thrush over the weekend or something....
b bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:43 AM   #3
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am tandem nursing my 2 (2 years and 4 years old) although my oldest is very close to weaning completely. The first 2 months were HARD, very very hard and I questioned my decision a lot but I hear from a lot of new moms of two that the first 2 months after adding a second child is hard anyway so I don't know what it would have been like with out tandem nursing. Something around that point just clicked though and it seemed normal and easy.

The only issues I had was with mastitis at about 2 weeks pp but I was so glad I was tandeming because my oldest was much more efficient at emptying the breast and getting the infection cleared out. I occasionally nursed them at the same time but for the most part I really preferred to nurse them each on their own. Since my oldest was 2 she was old enough to understand she had to wait for the baby to be done.

But overall it has been a great experience. I will always have sweet little memories of the few times they nursed together holding hands or rubbing each others legs. We are TTC again and I do plan/hope to be tandem nursing the next baby with at least my youngest as I want her to nurse until at least 4 like her sister.

Seek out LLL and see if you can find other tandem nursing mama's in your area. The support those first 2 months was so helpful when I felt like I was going crazy and touched out.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:08 PM   #4
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

I have been tandem nursing for a year and a half now. I recently wrote about my experience here:
http://www.lactationnarration.com/in...em-nursing-qa/
Old 12-06-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm nursing my second set of twins. But, I think that is very different than two children of different ages.