Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-02-2010, 01:02 AM   #1
hut63
Registered Users
seller

Exclamation Frustrated w/ Softbums :(

I was so excited to try them and they leak all over the place, my flips and Grovias haven't spilled a drop but the softbums are killing me, I have used them with doublers, without, stripped them and still leaks! I'm at a loss, I'm about to just sell them all and stock up on flips and gros... Any help befre I give up?!

Advertisement

hut63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:28 AM   #2
~stacy~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Frustrated w/ Softbums :(

Oh no! Maybe you can snug up the elastics a little more in the legs. I have heard a lot of stories where at first they leaked for mamas but once the legs were snugged up more and fine tuned for fit they were very reliable.

Good luck figuring it out! Leaks are no fun!
Old 12-02-2010, 05:30 AM   #3
MarchMama2x
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just ordered 9 omni's on black friday and they leaked the first time he wore the first few and I felt the same way. I had only washed and dried them once to prep them and someone told me it probably wasn't enough prepping. I ran them all thru another wash and dry cycle and no leaks! Did you dry the covers in the dryer at least once to seal the sewing holes? I dried them all 2x on high for 45 min to seal the PUL.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:29 AM   #4
hut63
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchMama2x View Post
I just ordered 9 omni's on black friday and they leaked the first time he wore the first few and I felt the same way. I had only washed and dried them once to prep them and someone told me it probably wasn't enough prepping. I ran them all thru another wash and dry cycle and no leaks! Did you dry the covers in the dryer at least once to seal the sewing holes? I dried them all 2x on high for 45 min to seal the PUL.
Even my dried ones leak I made it nice and snug, I just don't know what to do
hut63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:16 AM   #5
~stacy~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Are you using the dry touch pod? Maybe you could try laying a different insert in there just to test if it's the shell causing the leaks or the pod. Could you try it with a FLIP or GroVia insert inside it?
Old 12-02-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
raggamuffin82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm having the same issue... I really wanted to love these diapers! I'll have to try adjusting the fit some more....
raggamuffin82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:33 AM   #7
Beesgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had the hardest time with Softbums getting a good fit, I hated how wide the insert was and getting it just right in the cover could be annoying. I sometimes had wicking when the front of the insert would be totally saturated and the back completely dry. I eventually just sold them, too much work and $$ to get it to work properly IMO!

Kate, mama to
Miles (2.11.06), Levi (6.24.09) and Isaac (9.25.11)
Beesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:38 AM   #8
OzarkCountryMomma
Registered Users
seller

I traded mine for FBs.
OzarkCountryMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:40 AM   #9
m&m&m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Here are some tips that I have found helpful with our SoftBums:

Make sure to dry the shells on high the first time to seal sewing seams (sounds like you have done this already)

Hold the shell up to another fitting diaper to adjust the toggles to make it approx the same size. I don't adjust the toggles from within the diaper, I always pull the elastic out, hold it with tension and then adjust the toggles so they are even (I am a little OCD that way to make sure the elastic is the same size on both sides). If there are leaks, try going a little smaller, if there are red marks, go a little looser. This may depend on your baby's rise and overal shape, but for us our SoftBums fit lower and were more of a bikini style diaper (high cut leg, low rise tummy)

The fit itself:

I pull the pod through his legs first and get it snug, I fold over the pod in the front so that when I then pull the cover through snug, the fold comes up *part way* up the aplix strip in the front (I hope this is making sense) so that when you fasten the tabs, they help keep the insert in place. I then lift the legs and run my fingers along the leg elastic to "tuck" any of the pod that may be sticking out a little. NOTE: Don't "roll" in any of the leg elastic gathering as I have been told that can cause leaking, some of the fleece may be showing a little which is normal.

HTH

Last edited by m&m&m; 12-02-2010 at 07:49 AM.
m&m&m is offline   Reply With Quote