Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-02-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
menthomas
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Strike?? Help

My ds will be one tomorrow (eek!) We had been doing ec and he was fairly consistant. No poops in his diaper and peeing everytime. I was putting him on the potty every 2 hours and it was working! Then.....he had a poop miss on the floor, and then got sick for about 2 weeks. Now NOTHING! I put him on and not even a pee. He is very happy and content to sit there while I sing songs, read books and play with little toys. NOTHING! I was so excited, now it is killing me! Please help! I don't know what to do to help him go on the potty. Two days ago, he was sitting on the potty grunting like he had to go, but didn't, stood up and got off, then pooped on the floor! Ahhh, I just feel like the one miss on the floor just totally messed things up (haha my floor and his ec'ing both!). Any suggestions???
Thanks
Abby

Advertisement

menthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
Sakari
Registered Users

Re: Strike?? Help

what a troublesome poop!

You sound like me!!!! We were ECing with lots of success and catches and good communication .... until we went on vacation for a week when DD turned one. We were back to basically conventionally diapering - how sad! Anyway, what worked for us (that story is much longer, I'm trying to spare you! ) was when we got home I put away the diapers. Nights and naps too. I figured we both *knew* how to do this, we were just off track! We needed a jump start before I gave up completely.

It worked! I thought I'd lost my mind when DH found poop in his shoe But we went just about completely diaperless for two weeks. TWO WEEKS! with way too many misses for a normal, logical, sane person! But I stuck with it, we were calm and collected and just treated misses like it wasn't a big deal, we'd clean up and talk about how using the potty is cleaner, faster and more comfortable - and that next time she had to go, if she told me, I'd help her.

We kept it fun and upbeat and in 2 weeks things were looking up! (granted, we had a whole week or more of "off time") we started using diapers and trainers again after things settled back into a fairly reliable rhythm. But were still having lots of nakey time, or just undies, etc. ... til one day I thought, why bother putting a dipe on when we leave the house? that's so much work. I'll just try to pay close attention to DD and potty her - and bring extra clothes in the diaper bag. IT WORKED!

from our week of ALL dipes, in two months she was diaper free 100% and we haven't looked back! I sold the diapers and we're "potty trained"

I say all that to say - Don't give up! Jump start things again if you have to, go diaperless, focus on CUES again (pretend you're starting over) and believe that this wasn't all for nothing. Because it wasn't! Remind yourself WHY you ever wanted to EC in the first place (look up old threads here if you need inspiration to keep going!) and remember that you do this for your LO. it's not to get out of dipes soon - it's to keep him comfy, dry and clean.

You'll be fine! This one poop won't be the end of EC for you - if you don't want it to be~!

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #3
Sakari
Registered Users

p.s. see if he wants to poop standing in the bathtub or something... DD had a phase where she only wanted to stand to poop, and that's not uncommon! Find an "appropriate" place and let him!

Old 12-02-2010, 09:08 AM   #4
smilingjessica
Registered Users
seller

just wanted to say that a sickness is a very common cause of a setback, you shouldn't feel like you did anything wrong.
smilingjessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
menthomas
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks so much! I think starting Monday we are going to go full time nakey. It's cold here, so we will have to do babylegs, but they are great for that! I wish it was summer and then he could just be naked and not cold. I think my dh would lose his mind if he found poop in his shoe. LOL Thanks for all the advice, I am hoping starting next week we are going to be right back on track. This has given me a good laugh and some hope! Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakari View Post
what a troublesome poop!

You sound like me!!!! We were ECing with lots of success and catches and good communication .... until we went on vacation for a week when DD turned one. We were back to basically conventionally diapering - how sad! Anyway, what worked for us (that story is much longer, I'm trying to spare you! ) was when we got home I put away the diapers. Nights and naps too. I figured we both *knew* how to do this, we were just off track! We needed a jump start before I gave up completely.

It worked! I thought I'd lost my mind when DH found poop in his shoe But we went just about completely diaperless for two weeks. TWO WEEKS! with way too many misses for a normal, logical, sane person! But I stuck with it, we were calm and collected and just treated misses like it wasn't a big deal, we'd clean up and talk about how using the potty is cleaner, faster and more comfortable - and that next time she had to go, if she told me, I'd help her.

We kept it fun and upbeat and in 2 weeks things were looking up! (granted, we had a whole week or more of "off time") we started using diapers and trainers again after things settled back into a fairly reliable rhythm. But were still having lots of nakey time, or just undies, etc. ... til one day I thought, why bother putting a dipe on when we leave the house? that's so much work. I'll just try to pay close attention to DD and potty her - and bring extra clothes in the diaper bag. IT WORKED!

from our week of ALL dipes, in two months she was diaper free 100% and we haven't looked back! I sold the diapers and we're "potty trained"

I say all that to say - Don't give up! Jump start things again if you have to, go diaperless, focus on CUES again (pretend you're starting over) and believe that this wasn't all for nothing. Because it wasn't! Remind yourself WHY you ever wanted to EC in the first place (look up old threads here if you need inspiration to keep going!) and remember that you do this for your LO. it's not to get out of dipes soon - it's to keep him comfy, dry and clean.

You'll be fine! This one poop won't be the end of EC for you - if you don't want it to be~!
Old 12-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
menthomas
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks I appreciate that! I just wish it was as easy jumping back on the horse (or potty) as it was falling off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingjessica View Post
just wanted to say that a sickness is a very common cause of a setback, you shouldn't feel like you did anything wrong.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:35 PM   #7
Fleece Be With You
Registered Users
OperaDiva
seller

Has he started walking yet? My son had a long strike at that age because of his newfound independence.

Sakari, I am totally taking your advice on putting away the diapers when I get a chance! I'm still watching the twins for the next 2 weeks, then I hope to get some consistency established, then Christmas, then back on track, undies by mid-January. We can do it!
Jessica, wife to L (8-5-05) Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, CDing, ECing, babywearing Mama to H (9-18-09), my miracle baby! TTC #2!
I make and sell Fleece side-snap ConvertoTrainers! WAHM page Hyenacart Facebook Page
My Ovulation Chart
Fleece Be With You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleece Be With You View Post
Sakari, I am totally taking your advice on putting away the diapers when I get a chance! I'm still watching the twins for the next 2 weeks, then I hope to get some consistency established, then Christmas, then back on track, undies by mid-January. We can do it!
I soooo want to do this too, but half the time I am just toooo tired with two little ones to look after, and I don't always sleep when they do because I want to do things I can't get done when they are awake! But I think my daughter is totally ready - it is me who isn't. She stays dry 100% of the time when we go out (even for two super long car rides recently!) - why do I even bother putting diapers on her when we go out? I would LOVE to be done with diapers- and to be able to say I have two 2 and under who are OUT of diapers! By mid-January sounds like a good goal, though, hey we can do this together, our LO's are about the same age, too!
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:09 PM   #9
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We had a few "breaks" here and there... and I hurt my neck badly a few months ago so I couldn't potty my daughter. She had even started staying dry all night, but b/c I couldn't get her back to sleep as easily with my aching neck, she started waking up more fully and peeing at night again. She also had no interest in using the POTTY, and hasn't in ages. For months, she would ONLY let me potty her standing up, so I took her to the tub. She will now only let me potty her in 3 places - holding her over the sink, holding her over the toilet, or standing in the tub. She's 13 months now and totally understands, and even says "pee pee" when she is peeing. So I don't think this means things are totally messed up... with consistency and continuing to offer the potty (or another suitable option if he doesn't want the potty - like I said, my daughter REFUSES any kind of potty at the moment and has for a long time, now) things will hopefully get back to how they were before.

When he was younger, my son also would only stand to poo for a few months. From what I've seen on EC boards it is quite common for LO's to want to stand to go!
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:34 PM   #10
Sakari
Registered Users

yep, DD did the standing to poo thing, too. Luckily she was okay with using the bathtub - so I never had to be more creative than that... but Mel has answers if I ever need more creativity in that area!

Have fun going diaperless in Jan, you two! Here's my advice... Be Lazy.

My philosophy about making the "jump" from diapers or trainers to braving the undies or diaperless - don't think of it as a "jump" or scary - or a big deal at all! Think of it as .... LAZY. That's the honest-to-goodness reason that we ever took DD anywhere without a diaper the first time - we were both just too lazy to go change her! I didn't honestly think we'd keep her dry the whole time we were gone, so I grabbed dipes and clothes for changing - then we didn't end up needing them!

all because of laziness! It's totally more work to change a diaper than use a toilet - I think we could probably all agree on that, right? So BE LAZY! It's easier to toss some clothes in the wash than to wipe up messy bums - so Be lazy! It's easier to leave a baby diaperless and keep towels on the floor than to check the diaper every 5 seconds all day long! (besides, who wants that?!) so, Be Lazy! Just leave it off!

Have fun! and Be Lazy!

(p.s. no pressure or anything but 2 under 2 out of dipes would be Super cool - you should make the guiness book of mommy records with that one! well, you and MeCo7707 - she's probably pretty close too )