Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-02-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Boo, another strike. At least it's just a pee strike. But...

...this time, he doesn't like the big toilet OR the BBLP or anything. Just pees in his diaper and doesn't even want to try sitting on any potty or be held over the tub or anything at all. :/

I'm trying to think if he did any potty-pees over Thanksgiving, and I can't really remember. The toilets there, the water would be constantly running so I couldn't use the "motion of the water" to tell when pee was going into it or not, lol.

I am not so fond of strikes. :/

Advertisement

I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #2
Sakari
Registered Users

Re: Boo, another strike. At least it's just a pee strike. But...

If he doesn't want to use the potty, toilet, tub, bucket, ect - just change him as much as you possibly can so he keeps the appreciation of dry pants then you can always offer again after a bit and see if his interest is back.

Strikes aren't fun - but the good thing is that they don't last forever. (and don't think that your son is going to have the same story as your DD! They are two different people who already have a completely different history as far as pottying!! NO WORRYING! got it?! )

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, it can sure FEEL like forever when we're in it. And then I see a bunch of scary stories of strikes that last for nearly a year, lol.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:16 AM   #4
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sometimes my daughter is like that, too, but it never lasts! Most of the time I actually have to be nursing her to potty her over the sink or toilet... She is picky about how she is held! Has to be just right!

Hopefully you'll both figure out a way that works for you and he'll be back soon!
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We're 10.5 months in, so I'm anticipating a potty strike at any time....I hope that this one doesn't last long for you!
Old 12-03-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
Sakari
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post
Well, it can sure FEEL like forever when we're in it. And then I see a bunch of scary stories of strikes that last for nearly a year, lol.
True - it does feel like it'll never end sometimes. But it will!!!

and you gotta ignore those threads. That's just as bad as the late potty learner moms feeling bad when they hear an early potty training story. meh - each situation and child is SO individual. What you're doing with your son is so different than the next mom or the next mom. Just because they had a long strike doesn't mean you will. At all! and there's NO reason you should worry about it. and you should also NOT feel bad if you end up with a short one!

I wouldn't tell people for the loooongest time that DD didn't wear diapers because I almost felt bad about it! Or that they would think I was bragging or something. silly! She didn't wear diapers! No big deal!

This "strike" will be over before you know it, because there are just too many reasons to use a toilet. Don't forget that. This is not you pushing some agenda on your DS that he won't want or like or benefit from. Ultimately he will choose this, you're just making it easier on him and providing the choice right now, instead of a year down the road!

Old 12-03-2010, 07:20 PM   #7
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

He'll sit on his BBLP but unless he has a hold of both my hands (so he can clap them, lol), then he cries. So I usually let him hold my hands. But he doesn't do anything on there. He hasn't even pooped today. Hopefully he'll have one in the morning. He used to could just pee on request. Even if he didn't fully need to go, he'd try to squeeze out a little bit whenever I offered. He doesn't even do that now. Earlier today he peed on the changing table, seconds before I was going to see if he wanted to sit on the BBLP. He's wet at night now and has even stopped his morning pee, which had been such a regular and reliable one (and one that DH was doing, so it was a neat bonding time for them).

I know that I should keep offering, so that he will know that I WILL offer and maybe will wait for me at some point, but right now I do not even feel like messing with it at all. But I fear that if I put everything away and just ignore EC altogether, I'll end up with a potty-training saga longer than the one I had with DD. And I don't want THAT either. So I'll just keep letting him have some "clapping time" since he sure doesn't want to use those offerings to actually potty.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:59 PM   #8
Sakari
Registered Users

That sounds good to me - even if he's not "producing", if he's having fun clapping your hands, then keep offering. Also I found going back to the "association" phase really helped us sometimes. So when he peed on the changing table - just cue! and talk! (don't forget to cue ) and let it be at that - no rushing to the potty or anything, just association.

then you can always do more with the actual potty later.

Keep it stress-free as much as possible tho, totally. Just remember that diapering conventionally isn't "the easy way out" here. You'd still be changing diapers - and messy ones. Eventually you'll be (most likely) wrestling a rolling toddler around trying to hang on to him long enough to get a diaper back on, etc.) and even if you're still changing messy dipes now, at least there's a purpose and you're continuing to show him that going in his pants isn't the end goal. That there's a cleaner, more comfortable option when he's ready for it.

and kids are so unpredictable! This "strike" might be over tomorrow! or it might last a month or two, who knows? But don't expect it to be forever or you're selling your DS short. ya know? Kids soooo often live up to our expectations, in all areas. So expect great things - yet keep the pressure off! no problem, right?!

Old 12-03-2010, 08:01 PM   #9
Sakari
Registered Users

and CONGRATS on your etsy shop!!!!!!

Old 12-03-2010, 09:24 PM   #10
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh, I did cue on the changing table and still put him on the potty right afterward anyway, lol. And even when I'm offering at various times throughout the day, I'll cue (since in the past he HAS demonstrated he knows what I mean by it, and I wouldn't think that he's forgotten), but days go by and I don't see any immediate pee (what I mean is that I'm not "right there" when the pee happens, so that I could make the cue more effective), and so I have like this ratio of 99 cues w/o pee or poop to 1 cue WITH pee or poop, and maybe the cue is just losing its meaning and it's just another noise that I make that is gradually losing meaning. :/ And with DD running all over and my other obligations, I can't sit there and watch him all day long so that I can see right then when he eliminates and ONLY do the cue at that point, to reinforce it.

He already wrestles and rolls, lol, so that isn't something to dread. And probably 85-90% of his poops have so far all been ploppable.

I'm sad b/c I have all his cute little undies and trainers and they're just sitting in a basket (ok well one of his trainers, DD stole it and put it on one of her dolls, lol), not getting any use. He'll probably grow out of them before I get up the confidence to try using them again. :/

Thanks for the pep talk. I'm still not sure what I'll do, but I'll sleep on it first. Tomorrow is another day. (Another day to continue this strike, lol.)

Maybe I'm trying to use some reverse psychology on myself and just believe that he'll be in a strike (or diapered conventionally, depending on one's frame of mind) indefinitely. I'll EXPECT that. Then if he decides to go in the potty, woohoo, happy surprise. But right now, I don't think I can think about the possibility of the strike being over in days, weeks, or even a few months. It just ain't going to happen. His little strike a few weeks ago was just a prelude to this big one.