Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2010, 02:36 PM   #11
turndo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: EBFing, when do you get YOU time? (warning, small rant/vent)

I agree with using a carrier and introducing BM in a sippy. My son would absolutely not take a bottle. We started him on a sippy cup at about that age and he took to that pretty quickly. We just used the cheapies/disposable kinds that you can get at Target or Wal-mart with the short hard spouts. My son was a colicy baby who didn't get a real nap schedule until he was closer to 8-9 months. I kind of just resided myself to living with a mess and cooking when I could. I think the best advice is to not be too hard on yourself and have expectations that you will have a clean house, happy kid, fantastic marriage/relationship, and abundant quality time for yourself and your SO. This first year passes so quickly. I know when you're in the midst of it, it can feel like forever, but it will pass and you guys will get into a groove and find a happy medium. It just takes time. Now that my son is 31 mos and finally eating well, sleeps well, and can be away from me (w/my hubby only things have gotten easier. Good luck and hang in there!!!

Advertisement

turndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:45 PM   #12
tobineri
Registered Users

Well, at 5 months there's not a whole lot you can do unfortunately. Just take it one day at a time... remember that you never have to do that day again, and it only gets easier. With time, she is only going to eat less and less and sleep for longer stretches. You will get your time, one day, and when that time comes, your baby will be so busy doing her own thing, that you might just miss these days that you have now to hold her all day long. It's hard to see it like that, but hang in there. My son is 15 months now, never did take a bottle, and although there's a gradual lessening in nursing sessions each month, I noticed a big difference around 9 months.
tobineri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:30 AM   #13
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have to agree with pp. I was in your shoes 10 mos ago with a babe that wanted to be perma-latched and never wanted mama to put him down. I was stressed beyond belief with it. Now, I look back and wish I had just enjoyed it more. He's almost 15 mos now. He is down to nursing 4-5 times/day, and he has no use for mom anymore! He's walking and running and exploring and he doesn't want to be held and cuddled anymore.
That said, I am a WOHM and had to learn to be able to take showers and do things in spite of clingy baby. At that age, I usually took baths with him. He loved a bath and would get off the boob and play at that age. So, we got in there together. I supported him sitting and managed to read a book at the same time (hello, mama time!). I bathed him and bathed me. We got out and he'd have nakey time on a towel on the floor while I got ready for bed.
I learned to get up extra early in the morning to get things done. I'd leave him in bed with dad and sneak out and go get a cup of coffee. I'd pick one chore a day and do it: toss in some laundry, do the dishes, etc. I also would toss dinner in the crockpot. If he was still sleeping, then I'd sit down and get a bit of email time, forum time. It sucked getting up at 4:30am but it was worth it to get some time for me.
And, I learned to do a back carry with a carrier and wore him when I did work around the house.
Good luck, mama. It does get easier and when it does you'll miss having that little cuddly baby.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:46 AM   #14
br112
Registered Users

I don't get me time. My house is a mess (but I did manage to sneak out of bed to load this dishwasher this morning, go me!), there are baby toys everywhere, and I rarely get me time. I don't mind one bit though! I leave him when he looks relatively occupied in a safe space to go switch laundry loads. I toss him on my back in the ergo so I can hang diapers to dry. He sits in his high chair and plays with spoons and plastic bowls while I try and get food made for myself. I leave him in a very babyproof bathroom with me while I shower and he plays peek-a-boo with the shower curtain. We co-sleep so I sleep when he sleeps, unless he falls asleep in the ergo while I'm doing house work. I nurse a lot but when I get frustrated I remind myself that he's only little for so long. I try to enjoy these days.
br112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:00 AM   #15
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:

in the beginning i barely kept afloat. around 5-6 months we got bfing down and i was able to either wear him or pt him in his swing to ap. we used the swing until about 11 months.

i still dont really leave him (14months) but i dont want to. i prefer to have him with me. i wouldnt mind a nanny on some days....but i really dont feel suffocated by him.

we nurse, snuggling in bed at 7, 10, 1, 4, and 8 during the day.
10 and 4 are nap times, normally 1.5-2 hours.
8 is bed time

overnight he nurses at 11:30, 3:30, and 5:30ish

he eats 3 meals a day

eta nursing is my me tie, i have an ipad and o most of my browsimg te net while bfing, or i read or play gAmes on it

Last edited by TeachinAuntie; 12-06-2010 at 08:14 AM.
TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:44 AM   #16
Mom23kids2008
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My two fave's are taking a nap, or going for a walk/jog outside. Depends on my mood and how much time I have.
Mom23kids2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:38 AM   #17
sbbeana
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I get "me" time at about 9:30-10pm when the kids go to bed. As far as during the day and getting things done, I have to wear DS2 in a carrier otherwise he will crawl around following me and cry. If I didn't have a baby carrier to wear while doing laundry, dishes, cooking (which is not recommended), I would never get things done - ever