Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-03-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Preschool-age child still I the only one?

My son is a little over 3 1/2 and we are having such a struggle. He can pee standing up in the potty wonderfully, can pull down and pull up his pants, can sit down and pee, try to poo (he hasn't yet, but he still tries), yet he STILL pees in his underwear!!! Its frustrating, because I'll get him to go every hour, and there will still be wetness! Its like he goes just a little bit in his pants and then goes on the potty a whole lot. I have no idea what is going on. He never says that he needs to go. Sometimes, if he hasn't gone after a couple of hours, he completely unloads the full amount in his pants...and doesn't say a word. He just does NOT CARE that he has wet pants. I tried the "naked" thing and just ended up with a lot of pee in my carpet. I've tried letting him just stay in the wet underwear, and he doesn't mind a bit (he has been cloth-diapered since birth, so this may have something to do with that). He also has no "fear" of the potty whatsoever and goes whenever I tell him to.

WHAT DO I DO???? There has been a lot of tears over this. He began peeing and pooping in the little potty at 18 months of age, and here we are still having problems. It never just "clicked" for him and when I hear that from what feels like EVERYONE I speak to, I want to punch a wall!!

I feel like such a failure when I go searching through here and find mamas having problems with children who are only 2 years I am with a 3 1/2 year old. I feel like a complete loser-mom.

max'smamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Preschool-age child still I the only one?

We're right there with you. My little guy knows what to do, and can do and will do it-but still wants a diaper. For us, I think it's partly because we've had a crazy year, one thing being a major move cross country. Plus we have a new little guy and a 20 month old, so he sees them in diapers and knows that they get a lot of mama's time when they need a diaper change. (even though he gets all my attention when he needs to go potty, I have to help him wash his hands, still cause our sink is hard to turn on) He also has some gastro issues which cause chronic constipation, so when his tummy hurts, he only wants a diaper. We leave his in big boy pants at home, and he does fine, but I wouldn't leave him diaperless at night time or when we go out, we've had major accidents from that. I don't know what else to do either, I feel the same as you. I feel like a total failure because so much of my time has to go to the babies, and he really had to grow up fast. Just hang in there, I wish I could offer some advice, but know that you're not a loser mama and you're not alone!
Nikki-mama to 3 little miracles that complete me. 3 BOYS M-10/06 (my Invitro baby) J-3/09 (my LO that keeps me on my toes) and J-9/10 (my totally unexpected miracle that completed our family) Proud Air Force wife to M.
blessedmama2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
Registered Users
Re: Preschool-age child still I the only one?

mine just potty trained at 3 and a half and the only thing that worked was ignoring it, not caring at all. which was hard since she was peeing pretty much all over my house. eventually i noticed she would run off to the bathroom and i stopped finding pee spots.

same with at night time, she jsut started waking up at night going to the bathroom then getting back in bed. i know its frustrating hang in there mama
happily married mama enjoying life with my dd 4/7/07 and my ds 6/7/09

lookatreestar is offline   Reply With Quote