Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-02-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
travelmama24
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Babysitting pay

A co-worker & I were just having a discussion about how much to pay a babysitter. We had a teacher from DD's school watch DD at our house and she requested $10/hr. All of the teachers at DD's school have at least an Associates in ECE & $10/hr is the normal rate they charge, so I thought that rate was fine. My co-worker thinks that's too low, saying it would equal a yearly salary of $20,000. My argument was that babysitting isn't their full time job so the payment shouldn't be based on what their yearly salary would be. He also said that another co-worker's 14 yr old got upset when she recently babysat & only got $5/hr. I think $5/hr is fine for a high schooler with no training (babysitting classes, CPR) especially if teachers in the same area who have edcuation in ECE are asking $10/hr.

So...how much do you think is fair to pay a babysitter? I know this will differ based on where you live, but I'm still curious.

Advertisement

travelmama24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:55 AM   #2
SylvieP
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Babysitting pay

Well last time I paid for a sitter was last year in December and we paid her 8$ an hour. She was the daughter of a woman I worked with and this woman told me it was too much but I am pretty sure that is a reasonable rate for where we live.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:56 AM   #3
SylvieP
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oh and I do not know any teachers that would babysit either. I know a few teachers and never has one told me they babysit on the side so you could be lucky. It is always high school girls.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
agalanto
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm mostly in agreement with you. I think around $8 is good for someone younger with no cerifications (min.wage in CT is 8.25 so its not too far off anyway). But the more experience someone has and if they're certified they should expect more money. My initial thought was 10 but personally, if I had to pay someone more than 15/hr I'd reconsider my plans.. Depending on the time frame I'd be gone. You know, 45 for a date with DH (3 hrs) isn't too bad.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:25 AM   #5
lemurmommies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In the area where I live, I expect to pay about $8-10 an hour for a highschooler to babysit.
lemurmommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:28 AM   #6
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

I made over 5.00 a hour when I was in High School over 20 years ago.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:29 AM   #7
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow, times have changed. When I was in HS the standard pay was $1 per hour per child. Sometimes if someone was being generous I made $1.50.

I'm glad we have family close by who love to watch the kids occasionally for us and would be offended if we tried to pay them. With 3 kids I don't think we could afford to hire someone to watch the kids for an evening.
Rhianna'sMommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:51 AM   #8
travelmama24
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvieP View Post
oh and I do not know any teachers that would babysit either. I know a few teachers and never has one told me they babysit on the side so you could be lucky. It is always high school girls.
Yes, we are very lucky to have teachers willing to babysit and a school (daycare) that encourages it. DD's first daycare knew it went on, but wouldn't let people openly talk about it in the building. You had to kind of sneakily discuss it or pass e-mail addresses on to the teachers and discuss it over e-mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianna'sMommy View Post
Wow, times have changed. When I was in HS the standard pay was $1 per hour per child. Sometimes if someone was being generous I made $1.50.
I was paid $2/hr per child in high school (20 yrs ago).
travelmama24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #9
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
Formerly: MyTwoSunshines
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've been babysitting for a good while. I think the pay depends on the parents. There's a military couple that I babysit for, they have 2 children (ages 2 and 3) and I could easily get $60 on a date night. Then I have another little boy thats 6 months that I watch occcasionally, I make $25/day, but his mom is a single young mom. Standard around here is $10/hr. and then add $2/hr. per additional child.
Expecting our Rainbow EDD 11/19/15 IT'S A GIRL!!!
*MamaStacy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:03 AM   #10
doodah
Registered Users
seller

So is it babysitting or daycare? Baby sitting is more because it is not a regular job and they usually come to your house. Daycare is a whole different ball game. I get like $2 an hour per kid for daycare but that is the average around here and I am able to care for more than one child at a time. When I do babysitting, it's $5 an hour but they come here and go by my routine.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote