Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2007, 05:17 PM   #1
RodentRanger
Registered Users

My Mood:
Unusual "calming" techniques?

Advertisement

Last edited by RodentRanger; 03-12-2008 at 11:18 PM. Reason: typo in title was driving me insane
RodentRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:22 PM   #2
ocfb16
Children will forget your presents. They will always remember your presence.
seller

Re: Unusualy "calming" techniques?

Not anymore but when dd was little like 6 months or so, when she was fussy the only way for her to calm down was for me to lightly palm her face (yes cover her face with my hand ) and gently rock her head from side to side. I did this very gently so don't worry but she loved it, it calmed her down instantly....I dont know why.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
mrsbanna
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocfb16 View Post
Not anymore but when dd was little like 6 months or so, when she was fussy the only way for her to calm down was for me to lightly palm her face (yes cover her face with my hand ) and gently rock her head from side to side. I did this very gently so don't worry but she loved it, it calmed her down instantly....I dont know why.
I laughed when I read this, because ds used to need the exact same thing when he was overtired and nursing down wasn't cutting it. Now at 9 1/2 months he grabs my hand and puts bit over his top ear (the one not on the bed) and then he goes right to sleep, but he takes forever if I don't do that. More things under the sun, I guess.
mrsbanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:51 PM   #4
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

what david likes to do to calm himself to sleep is to poke my belly button. pick it and i hate that !! LOL is pretty annoying , but he always asks for it
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When dd was tiny (2 months or so) if she got fussy and was in bed with us she would put her hand on one of our mouths. She did this until she was probably 6ish months old.

Now (age 2) when she's winding down to go to sleep (we lay down with her) she has to put her feet between our legs, one hand/arm under our body and sometimes the other hand under the bed rail. We just laugh because if someone could see her they'd think we're pinning her down to go to sleep. But she won't go to sleep any other way.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:20 PM   #6
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had to "pet" DS2"s head when he was tiny to get him to go to sleep and then when I weaned him at 15 months he became booby obsessed! He always had his arm shoved down my shirt and usually in my bra! I though it was weird but now DS#3 does it and he is still breastfed at 19 1/2 months!
LA RN and Mom to J '00, S '03, P '05 (CLW at 37 months), G '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & M '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:23 PM   #7
keikiko
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS calms down in seconds for The Goo Goo Dolls "Slide" DH tried all types of music on a recent road trip that was the trick.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:44 PM   #8
MommyCRat
Registered Users

My Mood:

DS loves very loud, guitar driven rock. Currently he likes "Shoots and Ladders" (all nursery rhymes!) by KoRn and a cover of "In the Air Tonight" by Non Point (not loud, but he likes the drums. It sounds like we're trying to drown him out, but he loves it!

When he was 'ittle bitty, dh sang Bob Seger "Old Time Rock'n'Roll"..after that, if we played it he'd crash instantly. That is, until he realized that it wasn't actually daddy. It took about 3 weeks. After that, he'd cry worse. It was right about the time that he got upset to hear daddy on the phone but couldn't see him.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:32 PM   #9
razz116
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When Nate is screaming, all I have to do is turn on No Doubt "I'm Just a Girl". He quiets right down and usually falls asleep. It's pretty weird.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:38 PM   #10
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For Kearnan it is the beatles song Black Bird. I don't know why but one day when he was screaming bloody murder and totally out of control this song popped into my head and I sang it to him and he stopped instantly. It isn't a song I usually listen to and I am not sure why it even popped in there at all. It is his song now and it always works for him.

For Tharen it is The Last Unicorn sound track. When ever he is fussy we can put it in and he falls right to sleep. I sing him The last Unicorn or In The Sea when he is fussy and we don't have the cd on hand. It always works.

Also on particularly bad nights when no one can seem to sleep we get out the movie Labrinth and watch it. It is my favorite movie and always calms me right down. Works the same for the boys. Or maybe it is just that I am calmer and that helps them.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote